Good design sites?

Els

Frogleg said:
Actually, I was going to mention locusmeus.com as an
example of what I was looking for. :)

LOL
Thanks, but I'm not explaining anything about it on my site.
So if you're 'just' looking for examples, I like these ones
quite a lot:
http://www.cinnamon.nl/
http://www.technohippie.com/awwregs.html
http://republika.pl/puchan/best/foto.htm although there isn't
too much design in there, I like the title/logo on the left
and the division of the thumbnails.
http://oxygenkiosk.net/

Some of the designs on csszengarden.com are very nice too.

Matthias Gutfeldt

Els said:
Matthias Gutfeldt wrote:

LOL!
Okay, forget about the herb water.

We only give our kids herb tea when they're sick.

Or.. you weren't referring to the Earl Grey as water, were you?
(You might upset a lot of tea drinkers ;-) )

Earl Grey is to serious tea drinkers what Frontpage is to serious webdesign.

Matthias

Els

Matthias said:
We only give our kids herb tea when they're sick.

So you admit it's good for you ;-)
Earl Grey is to serious tea drinkers what Frontpage is to
serious webdesign.

Is that so? Guess I should use FrontPage then... ;-)
No, but seriously, what is real tea to a serious tea drinker?
Not Pickwick's Ceylon is it?

Neal

Now transforming from the time and frequency domains to the axial
length and spatial resolution domains, we can apply Fourier's same
principles to the shape of a letter's limb. For an eye to resolve that
squared-off sans-serif character requires infinite (or at least high)
resolution. Resolving the sans-serif character is easier, because the
serifs are analogous to the ringing of a frequency-limited wave (and
the spatial frequency of our eyes is limited).

So the argument is that at lower resolutions, the serifs help the eye
determine the terminal part of the line. Hmm...

Is the difference between reading serif and sans-serif so significant that
it makes sans-serif unsuited for web use? Or is the real-world effect less
of a problem. Remember that you don't actually need to scan the whole
letter when you read! We scan words and phrases, and when we actually do
look at a letter generally Gestalt theory suggests that unless we are
specifically looking for it, we'll never even see the imperfections in
face.

If people generally never read sans-serif in the real world, ok, I can
appreciate how reading a new font is going to require more "noticing". But
no one really reads that way with a font similar to what they're familiar
with.

Neal

I like Earl Grey, but the milk and sugar is just nasty.
Dear former customer. When we offered "tea", we did mean "tea", not
foul-smelling coloured water.

I'll just take a coffee. Strong and black. And large.

Matthias Gutfeldt

Els said:
Matthias Gutfeldt wrote:

So you admit it's good for you ;-)

Actually, I was trying to suggest that the bad taste makes them want to
get well real fast.

Is that so? Guess I should use FrontPage then... ;-)
No, but seriously, what is real tea to a serious tea drinker?
Not Pickwick's Ceylon is it?

Tea bags are a no-no.

Matthias

Kris

Here are a few of my "do's":

<snip a bunch of words>

(and deliberately shouting)

I DON'T WANT ADVICE. I WANT PICTURES, or URLS of SITES WITH ATTRACTIVE
VISUAL PRESENTATION!![/QUOTE]

People say my company's site is a pleasure to read, due to the friendly
toned background color. Often sites are black on white, which they find
too much contrast that makes their eyes tired.
<http://www.cinnamon.nl/>

Els

Matthias said:
Actually, I was trying to suggest that the bad taste makes
them want to get well real fast.

You needed 20 minutes to come up with that ;-)
Tea bags are a no-no.

And you don't think Earl Grey might come in a loose version as
well? I don't know, I use the bags ;-)
Bags are just easier, and they prevent eating tea instead of
drinking it.

Els

Neal said:
I like Earl Grey, but the milk and sugar is just nasty.

It's nasty if the tea isn't strong, but if it's very strong,
it's just Good :) Got used to it in the English "cafe's"
where I used to have breakfast :)
I'll just take a coffee. Strong and black. And large.

Yuk! :p

Els

Kris said:
<snip a bunch of words>

(and deliberately shouting)

I DON'T WANT ADVICE. I WANT PICTURES, or URLS of SITES
WITH ATTRACTIVE VISUAL PRESENTATION!!

People say my company's site is a pleasure to read, due to
the friendly toned background color. Often sites are black
on white, which they find too much contrast that makes
their eyes tired. <http://www.cinnamon.nl/>[/QUOTE]

Yep, agreed.

Matthias Gutfeldt

Els said:
You needed 20 minutes to come up with that ;-)

I'm preparing dinner for my daughter's birthday party. She used to be
such a cute little baby. Now she's 12, and where is the baby gone??

Matthias

Els

Matthias said:
I'm preparing dinner for my daughter's birthday party. She
used to be such a cute little baby. Now she's 12, and where
is the baby gone??

Still inside, will come out every now and then :)
Congratulations btw :)

Uncle Pirate

Frogleg said:
(and deliberately shouting)

I DON'T WANT ADVICE. I WANT PICTURES, or URLS of SITES WITH ATTRACTIVE
VISUAL PRESENTATION!!

Your childish temper tantrum ain't going to get you what you want.
Do you catch my drift? I checked the Webby awards. Most interesting
and lovely, mostly Flash, presentations, but waay beyond my
capabilities and resources. And not what I'm looking for. I want to
SEE examples of GOOD DESIGN. I don't need text to tell me not to use
blue lettering on black background. I want to SEE 'before' and 'after'
pics of a page for "My Dog Spike" done poorly and done well.

So create the site if you want it so bad. Oh, you don't know how? Then
instead of yelling at people, listen, READ (yes, words), and learn.
Thank you for your attention.

You are NOT welcome. You only got my attention by acting very childish.
If you were my child acting like you do, you'd be getting a belt
across your butt.

--
Stan McCann "Uncle Pirate"
Cooordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM AMA#758681

Nicolai P. Zwar

Karl Groves wrote:

There are websites out there that don't have porn on them?

Yeah, those sites where you purchase your Adult Verification for
password access to the rest of the WWW usually don't have porn on them.

Andy Dingley

As another general rule, don't use more than three fonts on your ENTIRE
website

Not using more than three _typefaces_ is a good rule. You can have a
lot more fonts than this

(a typeface in different sizes, or italicised, is a different font)

Andy Dingley

So the argument is that at lower resolutions, the serifs help the eye
determine the terminal part of the line. Hmm...
Yes.

Is the difference between reading serif and sans-serif so significant that
it makes sans-serif unsuited for web use?

No - this only applies to body text. A single line of text is easier,
because the problem of vertical extent is so much simpler.

Secondly, there's more variation between "clear" and "unclear"
typography than there is between a blanket serif vs. sans-serif
distinction.

Here's a site I was looking at tonight - www.flecktarn.co.uk
Ugliness ! Look at the font for that LHS menu.

Remember that you don't actually need to scan the whole
letter when you read!
Gestalt theory suggests that unless we are
specifically looking for it, we'll never even see the imperfections in
face.

What does "see" mean ?

Although we certainly don't consciously observe the entire shape, we
are influenced by it. Gestalt theory is as much in favour of these
"unperceived" attributes contributing to how we recognise the overall
shape, as it is in rejecting details as unimportant to the whole.

Christopher J. Henrich

Frogleg said:
I DON'T WANT ADVICE. I WANT PICTURES, or URLS of SITES WITH ATTRACTIVE
VISUAL PRESENTATION!!

Here's one that was recommended to me by a more experienced person. It
has the added interest of showing what can be done with CSS.
http://www.csszengarden.com/

I like *some* of the variants.

Frogleg

Here's one that was recommended to me by a more experienced person. It
has the added interest of showing what can be done with CSS.
http://www.csszengarden.com/

I like *some* of the variants.

I've been there and looked at the variations. "Littering a dark and
dreary road..." seems all too descriptive of many versions. Perhaps
the term "Zen" directed too many toward an introspective minimalism
that is professional but awfully dark. There are a couple of pages in
the archive children's section that are very pleasing and light.

Also, many of the pages are very slow-loading. Is this a side-effect
of all CSS or the rather large graphics some use?