    sort of organized "bite" size chunks rather than one long rambling
    discourse.

    Thx

    Kabuki Armadillo, Jun 14, 2008

  2. On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:41:53 GMT, "Kabuki Armadillo"
    <> wrote:

    >Anyone have a good reference as per the subject line?
    >
    >Consider me an absolute beginner. Bonus points if the lessons are in some
    >sort of organized "bite" size chunks rather than one long rambling
    >discourse.

    Why not posting this on alt.php ?

    Raymond SCHMIT, Jun 14, 2008

  3. "Raymond SCHMIT" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:41:53 GMT, "Kabuki Armadillo"
    > <> wrote:

    > Why not posting this on alt.php ?

    Good to know. I'll do that. . .

    Kabuki Armadillo, Jun 15, 2008
  4. Kabuki Armadillo

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Jun 14, 3:41 pm, "Kabuki Armadillo" <>
    wrote:
    > Anyone have a good reference as per the subject line?
    >
    > Consider me an absolute beginner. Bonus points if the lessons are in some
    > sort of organized "bite" size chunks rather than one long rambling
    > discourse.

    Since php mainly is used for web pages, the starting point is a good
    knowledge of html 4.01strict. If you know basic html fairly well, then
    it is time to consider php, or perhaps other languages, that will help
    you extend what you can do on web pages or aid in doing certain things
    in a better or more efficient method.

    There are many books concerning php. I have 3 books on the subject,
    but I have not reviewed the many books available and what book might
    be best for an individual is difficult to say without knowing the
    details of their background. I will give you a few hints in selecting
    a book. First, is the book up to date? The publication date helps, but
    a statement that php 5.x is included helps you avoid reprints of books
    from the dark ages. If you learn best by using actual examples of
    code, look for a book with many examples. Also some of these have code
    they discuss online so you can avoid wasting a lot of time by having
    to copy code examples by hand. Also check groups that are concerned
    mainly with php, such as alt.php already mentioned to you. Some groups
    have faqs that help you select a book and mention other resources.

    After you read a general discussion of what php is about, decide on
    what you would like to use it for to start. Perhaps you would like to
    use php for forms, for example. Then, after reading about very basic
    code, you can concentrate on the chapter concerning forms. You might
    delay discussions of how php is installed on a server if you have a
    server available with php installed.

    cwdjrxyz, Jun 15, 2008