google news links question

Paul B

I'm wondering why clicking on a subscriber-only link in a google
news search enables the viewer to go to a full text article,
while copying that link to another program and then clicking it
will only bring up the teaser page.

Apparently google has an arrangement with the WSJ that allows
entry. So when I did a search and came to the page

http://news.google.com/news?num=100&q="cancer+drug+fails"&um=1&sa=N&tab=wn

the link

http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=...585565.html?mod=googlenews_wsj&cid=1118789436

was presented. I think you'll find that from your newsreader the
first link will get you in while the second one won't (unless you
have a wsj subscription, of course).

Just wondering what's going on here.

Thanks,
p.

Paul Furman

Paul said:
I'm wondering why clicking on a subscriber-only link in a google
news search enables the viewer to go to a full text article,
while copying that link to another program and then clicking it
will only bring up the teaser page.

Apparently google has an arrangement with the WSJ that allows
entry.

Yep, it looks that way.

So when I did a search and came to the page

http://news.google.com/news?num=100&q="cancer+drug+fails"&um=1&sa=N&tab=wn

the link

http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=...585565.html?mod=googlenews_wsj&cid=1118789436

was presented. I think you'll find that from your newsreader the
first link will get you in while the second one won't (unless you
have a wsj subscription, of course).

Just wondering what's going on here.

Cookies.

I get in with the first link, then the second link no. Then I go back to
the first link and it doesn't work either because they gave me a cookie.
If I remove that cookie, the first link works again.