google news links question

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Paul B, Aug 2, 2007.

  1. Paul B

    Paul B Guest

    I'm wondering why clicking on a subscriber-only link in a google
    news search enables the viewer to go to a full text article,
    while copying that link to another program and then clicking it
    will only bring up the teaser page.

    Apparently google has an arrangement with the WSJ that allows
    entry. So when I did a search and came to the page

    http://news.google.com/news?num=100&q="cancer drug fails"&um=1&sa=N&tab=wn

    the link

    http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=...585565.html?mod=googlenews_wsj&cid=1118789436

    was presented. I think you'll find that from your newsreader the
    first link will get you in while the second one won't (unless you
    have a wsj subscription, of course).

    Just wondering what's going on here.

    Thanks,
    p.
    Paul B, Aug 2, 2007

  2. Paul B

    Paul Furman Guest

    Paul B wrote:

    > I'm wondering why clicking on a subscriber-only link in a google
    > news search enables the viewer to go to a full text article,
    > while copying that link to another program and then clicking it
    > will only bring up the teaser page.
    >
    > Apparently google has an arrangement with the WSJ that allows
    > entry.

    Yep, it looks that way.

    > So when I did a search and came to the page
    >
    > http://news.google.com/news?num=100&q="cancer drug fails"&um=1&sa=N&tab=wn
    >
    > the link
    >
    > http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=...585565.html?mod=googlenews_wsj&cid=1118789436
    >
    > was presented. I think you'll find that from your newsreader the
    > first link will get you in while the second one won't (unless you
    > have a wsj subscription, of course).
    >
    > Just wondering what's going on here.

    Cookies.

    I get in with the first link, then the second link no. Then I go back to
    the first link and it doesn't work either because they gave me a cookie.
    If I remove that cookie, the first link works again.

    --
    Paul Furman Photography
    http://edgehill.net
    Paul Furman, Aug 12, 2007