Google Summer of Code: status of Ruby Central

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by David A. Black, Jun 2, 2005.

  1. Hi --

    There's a big buzz about the Google Summer of Code program
    (http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html), and I thought I'd post an
    update (not an encouraging one) here, with regard to Ruby Central,
    Inc.

    I had hoped that this post would be a call for mentors for the Summer
    of Code program. Unfortunately, as of this morning they appear to
    have shut the door on further mentoring organzations. The information
    on the website is contradictory, and I have written to them asking for
    clarification and help. But if the worst is true (the "No" in the
    FAQ, as opposed to the "It's not too late" in the overview), then Ruby
    Central is out in the cold.

    I will keep you posted. Meanwhile, any students who want to apply
    should, I'm sorry to say, probably look for another mentoring
    organization. I wish it were otherwise, but most of all I do not want
    to see anyone's application held up or sidetracked because of these
    problems.

    David

    --
    David A. Black

    David A. Black, Jun 2, 2005

  2. David A. Black wrote:

    > There's a big buzz about the Google Summer of Code program
    > (http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html), and I thought I'd post an
    > update (not an encouraging one) here, with regard to Ruby Central,
    > Inc.
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > I will keep you posted. Meanwhile, any students who want to apply
    > should, I'm sorry to say, probably look for another mentoring
    > organization. I wish it were otherwise, but most of all I do not want
    > to see anyone's application held up or sidetracked because of these
    > problems.

    Even if chances don't look good at this time for Ruby Central to be
    accepted as a mentor I would still like everyone to add new items to
    http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?HowToHelp -- even if it does not ending
    up being useful for the Summer of Code it will still provide a central
    resource for people who are not sure of how they can contribute to the
    Ruby community.

    Thanks for any additions in advance!

    Florian Groß, Jun 2, 2005

  3. David A. Black

    James Britt Guest

    David A. Black wrote:
    > Hi --
    >
    > There's a big buzz about the Google Summer of Code program
    > (http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html), and I thought I'd post an
    > update (not an encouraging one) here, with regard to Ruby Central,
    > Inc.
    >
    > I had hoped that this post would be a call for mentors for the Summer
    > of Code program. Unfortunately, as of this morning they appear to
    > have shut the door on further mentoring organzations. The information
    > on the website is contradictory, and I have written to them asking for
    > clarification and help. But if the worst is true (the "No" in the
    > FAQ, as opposed to the "It's not too late" in the overview), then Ruby
    > Central is out in the cold.

    Maybe someone here knows: Just how did Google announce this Summer of
    Code thing? Did it rely on Slashdot? Send notices to favored
    organizations? Post something on some obscure Google page and just
    count on the hipsterati to spread the word to their inner circle?

    James

    James Britt, Jun 2, 2005
  4. On 6/2/05, David A. Black <> wrote:
    > Hi --
    >=20
    > There's a big buzz about the Google Summer of Code program
    > (http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html), and I thought I'd post an
    > update (not an encouraging one) here, with regard to Ruby Central,
    > Inc.
    >=20
    > I had hoped that this post would be a call for mentors for the Summer
    > of Code program. Unfortunately, as of this morning they appear to
    > have shut the door on further mentoring organzations. The information
    > on the website is contradictory, and I have written to them asking for
    > clarification and help. But if the worst is true (the "No" in the
    > FAQ, as opposed to the "It's not too late" in the overview), then Ruby
    > Central is out in the cold.
    >=20
    > I will keep you posted. Meanwhile, any students who want to apply
    > should, I'm sorry to say, probably look for another mentoring
    > organization. I wish it were otherwise, but most of all I do not want
    > to see anyone's application held up or sidetracked because of these
    > problems.

    I believe there is an option for "Other" on the application. If I was
    to apply and list Ruby Central as the mentoring organization (whether
    it's listed via google as official or not) would there be person(s)
    willing to step in to fill that role?
    >=20
    >=20
    > David
    >=20
    > --
    > David A. Black
    >
    >=20
    >=20

    --=20
    =3D=3D=3DTanner Burson=3D=3D=3D

    http://tannerburson.com <---Might even work one day...

    Tanner Burson, Jun 2, 2005
  5. Hi --

    On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, David A. Black wrote:

    > I will keep you posted. Meanwhile, any students who want to apply
    > should, I'm sorry to say, probably look for another mentoring
    > organization. I wish it were otherwise, but most of all I do not want
    > to see anyone's application held up or sidetracked because of these
    > problems.

    I should add: it does seem that you can still fill in the "other
    organization" field, rather than choosing one of the ones on the list,
    if you can make a case for needing to have that organization be your
    mentoring organization. But this is where I want to be cautious. I
    don't want the process of determining whether Google accepts Ruby
    Central to cause a possibly fatal delay in an application. If we can
    pre-agree with Google that it's OK, I'll let you know. (And then we'd
    also need mentors....) I have not heard back from them yet.

    David

    --
    David A. Black

    David A. Black, Jun 2, 2005
  6. Hi --

    On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Tanner Burson wrote:

    > I believe there is an option for "Other" on the application. If I was
    > to apply and list Ruby Central as the mentoring organization (whether
    > it's listed via google as official or not) would there be person(s)
    > willing to step in to fill that role?

    See my previous post (crossed in the mail with yours) re the "other"
    thing. We can certainly be optimistic and ask for mentor volunteers,
    though it may be a matter of getting a project-by-project waiver for
    everyone who wants to be mentored via Ruby Central.

    David

    --
    David A. Black

    David A. Black, Jun 2, 2005
  7. On 6/2/05, David A. Black <> wrote:
    > Hi --
    >=20
    > See my previous post (crossed in the mail with yours) re the "other"
    > thing. We can certainly be optimistic and ask for mentor volunteers,
    > though it may be a matter of getting a project-by-project waiver for
    > everyone who wants to be mentored via Ruby Central.
    >=20

    If that's what it takes for me to get to apply this work towards
    something that benifits the community, then so be it. In either case,
    I'm going to begin drafting an application, so please keep us informed
    as to the status of this. Thanks for the hard work!

    Tanner Burson, Jun 2, 2005
  8. David A. Black

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <Pine.LNX.4.61.0506020611530.15008@wobblini>,
    David A. Black <> wrote:
    >Hi --
    >
    >There's a big buzz about the Google Summer of Code program
    >(http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html), and I thought I'd post an
    >update (not an encouraging one) here, with regard to Ruby Central,
    >Inc.
    >
    >I had hoped that this post would be a call for mentors for the Summer
    >of Code program. Unfortunately, as of this morning they appear to
    >have shut the door on further mentoring organzations. The information
    >on the website is contradictory, and I have written to them asking for
    >clarification and help. But if the worst is true (the "No" in the
    >FAQ, as opposed to the "It's not too late" in the overview), then Ruby
    >Central is out in the cold.
    >
    >I will keep you posted. Meanwhile, any students who want to apply
    >should, I'm sorry to say, probably look for another mentoring
    >organization. I wish it were otherwise, but most of all I do not want
    >to see anyone's application held up or sidetracked because of these
    >problems.

    I'm not sure why Google was in such a hurry. They just
    announced this program on May 31st. It would have been much better if
    they had announced it a month or two earlier to give the
    'mentoring organizations' time to respond and set up the needed
    infrastructure, etc. It would have also given the 'students' more time
    to plan and make proposals as well.

    From their FAQ:

    "What kind of deadlines are associated with the Summer of Code?

    May 31st: Announce on code.google.com and open application process

    June 1st: Last Day new Organizations will be listed on
    Code.Google.Com"

    One day?! What gives? This all has a smell of a last-minute, hastily
    planned project. Hopefully next year they'll give better advance
    warning.

    Phil

    Phil Tomson, Jun 2, 2005
  9. David A. Black

    Bill Guindon Guest

    On 6/2/05, Phil Tomson <> wrote:
    > In article <Pine.LNX.4.61.0506020611530.15008@wobblini>,
    > David A. Black <> wrote:
    > >Hi --
    > >
    > >There's a big buzz about the Google Summer of Code program
    > >(http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html), and I thought I'd post an
    > >update (not an encouraging one) here, with regard to Ruby Central,
    > >Inc.
    > >
    > >I had hoped that this post would be a call for mentors for the Summer
    > >of Code program. Unfortunately, as of this morning they appear to
    > >have shut the door on further mentoring organzations. The information
    > >on the website is contradictory, and I have written to them asking for
    > >clarification and help. But if the worst is true (the "No" in the
    > >FAQ, as opposed to the "It's not too late" in the overview), then Ruby
    > >Central is out in the cold.
    > >
    > >I will keep you posted. Meanwhile, any students who want to apply
    > >should, I'm sorry to say, probably look for another mentoring
    > >organization. I wish it were otherwise, but most of all I do not want
    > >to see anyone's application held up or sidetracked because of these
    > >problems.
    > >

    >=20
    > I'm not sure why Google was in such a hurry. They just
    > announced this program on May 31st. It would have been much better if
    > they had announced it a month or two earlier to give the
    > 'mentoring organizations' time to respond and set up the needed
    > infrastructure, etc. It would have also given the 'students' more time
    > to plan and make proposals as well.
    >=20
    > From their FAQ:
    >=20
    > "What kind of deadlines are associated with the Summer of Code?
    >=20
    > May 31st: Announce on code.google.com and open application process
    >=20
    > June 1st: Last Day new Organizations will be listed on
    > Code.Google.Com"
    >=20
    > One day?! What gives? This all has a smell of a last-minute, hastily
    > planned project. Hopefully next year they'll give better advance
    > warning.

    To me, it sounds like the pre-selected the mentors, but forgot to
    change the text on their site.

    On the bright side, it did inspire me to make a donation to
    RubyCentral for all of their hard work, and for them coming to bat and
    trying to get Ruby into the Summer of Code program.

    http://www.rubycentral.org/pledge/

    If enough others do that, we can have our own Summer of Code :)

    > Phil
    >=20
    >=20

    --=20