Ruby Central rejected as a Google Summer of Code organization

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by David A. Black, Mar 24, 2009.

  1. Hi all --

    I think many of you know this already but I just wanted to confirm it.

    The Google Summer of Code program has rejected Ruby Central this year as
    a mentoring organization, a role we've played every year since 2006. No
    explanation for the rejection was offered. (When I pressed for an
    explanation, I got a courteous response but no substantive information
    about their decision.)

    I find this very disappointing, and I'm sorry to have to bring the news
    to those of you who had started to give serious thought to Summer of
    Code projects.

    David

    Ruby Training Atlanta! April 1-3, http://www.entp.com/training/atlanta09
    David A. Black, Mar 24, 2009

  2. On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:21 AM, David A. Black <> wrote:
    > I think many of you know this already but I just wanted to confirm it.
    >
    > The Google Summer of Code program has rejected Ruby Central this year as a
    > mentoring organization, a role we've played every year since 2006. No
    > explanation for the rejection was offered. (When I pressed for an
    > explanation, I got a courteous response but no substantive information about
    > their decision.)
    >
    > I find this very disappointing, and I'm sorry to have to bring the news to
    > those of you who had started to give serious thought to Summer of Code
    > projects.

    This is disappointing, but not a death knell for interested students
    and mentors. Rails is acting as a mentoring organization and we'd be
    happy to join forces to get awesome but peripherally Rails-related
    projects going this summer as well.

    For example, last summer's rubyspec push was a great success.
    Continuing that work for ruby 1.9 would be a boon to the whole
    community. Similarly with debugging, profiling, and other tooling.

    So keep your engines fired up! Dedicated mentors from years past are
    particularly welcome :)

    Best,
    jeremy
    Jeremy Kemper, Mar 24, 2009