got confusion with presentation layer

smarto59

Im not conversant with java though I intend to build
a hard project using java rmi. Now Im at the learning
level and I got confusion with java enterprise technologies.
I don't know how to build the presentation tier.
There are many choices such as javabeans, swing or applet.
Oh, I forgot to mention my project subject is simple p2p application.
My favourite way is to make the presentation through a web page and
the clients can access the application and look for their files
using web browser otherwise I might build GUI using swing classes.
Also I have to use xml to store the files ( I use xmlbeans to
manipulate xml file).
There are many choices to do my favourite method javabeans with jsp or
servlet
, or java applet.
I need your advice what is the best choice and why? If there are other
technologies to do that!!

Andrew Thompson

..Sub: got confusion with presentation layer

I'll say.
Im not conversant with java though I intend to build
a hard project using java rmi.

It sounds doomed to failure. I am simply being blunt.

A web based project involving RMI would not be a simple
project. You should start learning Java by doing command
line applications, and you are jumping in at the wrong end.
<http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#appfirst>

Of course, some of that depends on what you mean by 'hard',
which is a fairly vague expression.

Why not instead tell us what this project achieves.
What does it *do*?
..Now Im at the learning level ...

A better group for those learning Java is
...and I got confusion with java enterprise technologies.

<personal cynicism>
'enterprise technologies' is a term still looking for a meaning.
I don't know how to build the presentation tier.

[1] The 'presentation tier', or GUI, might better be discussed in
There are many choices such as javabeans, swing or applet.

Now, this is where your confusion becomes apparent.
Either GUI or non GUI.
If GUI - Swing, AWT, or HTML.
If Swing/AWT GUI - Applet or Application.
Oh, I forgot to mention my project subject is simple p2p application.

Before it was hard, now it's 'simple'. Which is right?
My favourite way is to make the presentation through a web page and
the clients can access the application and look for their files
using web browser otherwise I might build GUI using swing classes.
Also I have to use xml to store the files ( I use xmlbeans to
manipulate xml file).

If the client side needs to parses XML, which became supported in
1.4, you need Java to do it, so you may as well use a Java Swing GUI.
There are many choices to do my favourite method javabeans with jsp or
servlet
, or java applet.
I need your advice what is the best choice and why? If there are other
technologies to do that!!

If you can do this with pure, plain old HTML on the client side,
that is the best way to go. Can you?