Graphic Designers : Prawn needs a logo!

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Gregory Brown, Jul 25, 2008.

  1. Hi folks,

    I'll be releasing an alpha version of Prawn[0], the fast, nimble PDF
    library for Ruby within the next few days. However, despite the
    awesome name of this library, I am lacking an awesome logo!

    If you have good graphic design skills, think of it as your
    contribution to the Ruby Mendicant project[1], and help me fulfill
    this highly important dream of having a beautiful Prawn logo.

    If you are interested in submitting something, post candidate logos to
    http://groups.google.com/group/prawn-ruby before August 1st, 2008. I
    am asking that all submissions be under the Creative Commons
    Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license[2].

    If I decide to use your logo, I'll attribute you wherever it is used
    and display a text link to whatever you want (within reason).

    Let the Logo Prawntest begin!

    -greg

    [0] http://github.com/sandal/prawn
    [1] http://www.oreillynet.com/ruby/blog/2008/03/the_ruby_mendicant_project.html
    [2] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
    Gregory Brown, Jul 25, 2008

  2. Hello Gregory,

    Gregory Brown wrote:

    > I'll be releasing an alpha version of Prawn[0], the fast, nimble PDF
    > library for Ruby within the next few days.

    Great!! I was looking for a PDF library a couple of weeks ago, but could
    not find something suitable. Do you have a homepage for Prawn[0], where I
    could find some information about the lib? The links you put at the end
    of your post seemed not so informative to me or I am just not finding the
    right places.

    Back to the problem I had: All libraries I found could produce PDFs, but
    not read them. What I wanted to do was just to personalize an existing
    PDF before delivery, which could not be done by the libs, I found.
    Fortunately there was CPAN, which provides a couple of solutions for any
    problem and I wrote a little perl script, which I called from ruby in my
    rails app.

    Another part of the job was prepareing the PDFs, which I did in perl,
    since I still had the scripts from the year before: Merging pages from
    PDFs I got and providing them with bookmarks.

    So what I am interested about is, whether I could solve such problems
    (manipulating/reusing existing PDFs) in ruby in the near future ;-)

    Happy coding

    Thomas
    Thomas Volkmar Worm, Jul 25, 2008

  3. On 7ÔÂ25ÈÕ, ÏÂÎç2ʱ03·Ö, Thomas Volkmar Worm <> wrote:
    > Hello Gregory,
    >
    > Gregory Brown wrote:
    > > I'll be releasing an alpha version ofPrawn[0], the fast, nimble PDF
    > > library for Ruby within the next few days.

    > Great!! I was looking for a PDF library a couple of weeks ago, but could
    > not find something suitable. Do you have a homepage forPrawn[0], where I
    > could find some information about the lib? The links you put at the end
    > of your post seemed not so informative to me or I am just not finding the
    > right places.

    No homepage just yet, the code hasn't even been released yet. :)

    There are lots of examples in the examples/ dir but they are mostly
    feature tests, not samples of 'real' PDFs.

    I'll include some of that stuff in the first release, due out in a few
    days.

    > Back to the problem I had: All libraries I found could produce PDFs, but
    > not read them. What I wanted to do was just to personalize an existing
    > PDF before delivery, which could not be done by the libs, I found.
    > Fortunately there was CPAN, which provides a couple of solutions for any
    > problem and I wrote a little perl script, which I called from ruby in my
    > rails app.

    This is currently the recommended approach to those who've been asking
    this question on the PDF::Writer mailing list.

    > So what I am interested about is, whether I could solve such problems
    > (manipulating/reusing existing PDFs) in ruby in the near future ;-)

    Our longterm goal is that Prawn and PDF::Reader join together under
    the 'Ruby PDF Project'. I've also seen some effort being put into
    something that reads in a PDF and generates a PDF::Writer object. I
    hope that if that approach works, it can be done for Prawn as well.

    But in short, this isn't likely to happen in the 'near' future, unless
    others develop the features. It may well happen eventually though.

    The first Prawn releases will be developer snapshots, meant to help
    uncover bugs and figure out what additional features are needed.
    Expect something fairly solid by mid-september.

    -greg
    Gregory Brown, Jul 26, 2008