[ANN] Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby, Chapters 1 to 3

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by why the lucky stiff, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. Greetings. Man, I'm giddy about this announcement. My blood is visibly
    pulsing.

    On Nov. 11, 2003, during RubyConf 2003, I kinda mentioned a major
    project of mine that I believed would "change the Ruby world
    significantly." [1] Well, we'll see about that. Sorry if that was a
    bit pompous, but I'll let you be the judge of that.

    Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby is a free, open-source book for anyone
    wanting to learn Ruby. I have finished the first three chapters. You
    can start reading at http://poignantguide.net/.

    This book is not so much a manual. There will be no reference. This
    book is closer to a novel, a comic, or maybe a biography. Or all
    three. Ultimately, I'd like to have a book that could be so accessible
    that it could be a NYT bestseller. Of course, I don't ever expect that
    to happen, but that's how plain I'd like the instruction to be.

    Face it. This is the future. Kids are going to be programming their
    skateboards, their GI-Joe tanks, their shoelaces, their oatmeal. Ruby
    could easily be that language that the common man can get his hooks
    into. This probably isn't the book that will make Ruby become
    universal, but it's a steppie in that vicinity.

    My roadmap has the book finished next summer. This gives me a couple
    months for each chapter. I'd like to release early and often. The best
    thing you can do is bug me. Feedback. Constant reminders when a new
    chapter is due. Bug me to death. The demand will motivate me. If you
    don't like the book, tell me why.

    I have no intention to print the book. I have no desire to publish. I
    am not working on PDF, Palm, TeX, etc. versions of the book. I am
    writing the book and I am going to leave those matters for later.

    However, I will be setting up a RubyForge project soon. The
    YAML/Textile source for the book will be available for any of you to
    format, print or reuse. I am releasing it all (graphics included) under
    the GPL'ish Attribution-ShareAlike [2] license of the Creative Commons.
    Cool?

    Okay, then. I *starch* you all!

    _why

    [1] http://whytheluckystiff.net/arch/2003/11/17
    [2] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/1.0/
    why the lucky stiff, Feb 17, 2004

  2. why the lucky stiff wrote:

    > Greetings. Man, I'm giddy about this announcement. My blood is
    > visibly pulsing.
    >
    > On Nov. 11, 2003, during RubyConf 2003, I kinda mentioned a major
    > project of mine that I believed would "change the Ruby world
    > significantly." [1] Well, we'll see about that. Sorry if that was a
    > bit pompous, but I'll let you be the judge of that.
    >
    > Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby is a free, open-source book for anyone
    > wanting to learn Ruby. I have finished the first three chapters. You
    > can start reading at http://poignantguide.net/.
    >
    > This book is not so much a manual. There will be no reference. This
    > book is closer to a novel, a comic, or maybe a biography. Or all
    > three. Ultimately, I'd like to have a book that could be so
    > accessible that it could be a NYT bestseller. Of course, I don't ever
    > expect that to happen, but that's how plain I'd like the instruction
    > to be.
    >
    > Face it. This is the future. Kids are going to be programming their
    > skateboards, their GI-Joe tanks, their shoelaces, their oatmeal. Ruby
    > could easily be that language that the common man can get his hooks
    > into. This probably isn't the book that will make Ruby become
    > universal, but it's a steppie in that vicinity.
    >
    > My roadmap has the book finished next summer. This gives me a couple
    > months for each chapter. I'd like to release early and often. The
    > best thing you can do is bug me. Feedback. Constant reminders when a
    > new chapter is due. Bug me to death. The demand will motivate me.
    > If you don't like the book, tell me why.
    >
    > I have no intention to print the book. I have no desire to publish.
    > I am not working on PDF, Palm, TeX, etc. versions of the book. I am
    > writing the book and I am going to leave those matters for later.
    >
    > However, I will be setting up a RubyForge project soon. The
    > YAML/Textile source for the book will be available for any of you to
    > format, print or reuse. I am releasing it all (graphics included)
    > under the GPL'ish Attribution-ShareAlike [2] license of the Creative
    > Commons. Cool?
    >
    > Okay, then. I *starch* you all!
    >
    > _why
    >
    > [1] http://whytheluckystiff.net/arch/2003/11/17
    > [2] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/1.0/

    Shoot for the starts why don't you, man! Your giddyness is palpable -
    and i kinda got a kick out of the post. Going over there to read pronto
    because, the other morning i was thinking, could'nt i write a program to
    keep my oatmeal from lumping :O)

    Anyway I really do wish you the best and i'll send some feedback for sure.

    Paul
    Paul Vudmaska, Feb 17, 2004

  3. il Wed, 18 Feb 2004 04:58:00 +0900, why the lucky stiff
    <> ha scritto::

    >Greetings. Man, I'm giddy about this announcement. My blood is visibly
    >pulsing.

    I love this.
    I repeat:
    I love this.
    too bad I can't give it to my little cousin that does not speak
    english ;)

    BTW, you should put links for this on internet newssite. That is
    something like 'The little prince reads SICP'. geeks will scream at
    you.
    gabriele renzi, Feb 17, 2004
  4. On Tuesday 17 February 2004 22:04, gabriele renzi wrote:
    > I love this.
    > I repeat:
    > I love this.
    > too bad I can't give it to my little cousin that does not speak
    > english ;)

    how about translations? :)

    my dutch really does suck but i'd just love to get my
    cousins speaking ruby as i'm pretty fluent in that :)

    ciao,
    Alex

    --
    Sometimes when you look into his eyes you get the feeling that someone
    else is driving.
    Alexander Kellett, Feb 17, 2004
  5. why the lucky stiff

    Jamis Buck Guest

    why the lucky stiff wrote:

    > Greetings. Man, I'm giddy about this announcement. My blood is
    > visibly pulsing.

    Okay. That is seriously the funnest thing I've read in a long time.
    Thank-you!

    A few minor typos I noted:

    Chapter 2, Part 2, near the end:
    "cel phone"
    "whose to say" (should be "who's to say")

    Chapter 3, discussion on blocks:
    "shoot" should be "chute"

    Thanks again!

    - Jamis

    --
    Jamis Buck

    http://www.jamisbuck.org/blog/jamis.cgi

    ruby -h | ruby -e 'a=[];readlines.join.scan(/-(.)\[e|Kk(\S*)|le.l(..)e|#!(\S*)/) {|r| a << r.compact.first };puts "\n>#{a.join(%q/ /)}<\n\n"'
    Jamis Buck, Feb 17, 2004
  6. why the lucky stiff

    Kent Dahl Guest

    gabriele renzi wrote:
    > too bad I can't give it to my little cousin that does not speak
    > english ;)

    ....chapter three and going strong, I've got to say I think that is a
    _good_ thing. I'm getting the feeling this should come with a PG-rating,
    and be kept safe out of the reach of wee 'uns, the easily agitated and
    politicians.

    And that's just the sidebars :)

    --
    (\[ Kent Dahl ]/)_ _~_ _____[ http://www.pvv.org/~kentda/ ]_____/~
    ))\_student_/(( \__d L b__/ Master of Science in Technology )
    Kent Dahl, Feb 17, 2004
  7. On Wednesday, February 18, 2004, 8:40:03 AM, Jamis wrote:

    > why the lucky stiff wrote:

    >> Greetings. Man, I'm giddy about this announcement. My blood is
    >> visibly pulsing.
    >>

    > Okay. That is seriously the funnest thing I've read in a long time.
    > Thank-you!

    > A few minor typos I noted:

    While we're on it: "wierd" appears in a cartoon. (Heh, grep _that_!)

    Gavin
    Gavin Sinclair, Feb 17, 2004
  8. Alexander Kellett wrote:

    >On Tuesday 17 February 2004 22:04, gabriele renzi wrote:
    >

    >>I love this.
    >>I repeat:
    >>I love this.
    >>too bad I can't give it to my little cousin that does not speak
    >>english ;)
    >>

    >how about translations? :)
    >
    >my dutch really does suck but i'd just love to get my
    >cousins speaking ruby as i'm pretty fluent in that :)

    Calm down. I want to help everyone's cousins. Let's see what we can do.

    I have not an whim of idea as to how we could get this book translated.
    Especially considering that I am constantly revising and rephrasing. In
    addition, I intend to change flow based on audience reaction. I fear
    that embarking on translation too soon will either (a) inhibit the
    flexibility of revisions or (b) drive the translators to harpoon
    theyselves, leaving behind them a smattering of ancient (poignant)
    translations. Yeh?

    I *starch* you! (And we'll make it through this together.)

    _why
    why the lucky stiff, Feb 17, 2004
  9. Jamis Buck wrote:

    > A few minor typos I noted:
    >
    > Chapter 2, Part 2, near the end:
    > "cel phone"
    > "whose to say" (should be "who's to say")
    >
    > Chapter 3, discussion on blocks:
    > "shoot" should be "chute"

    Good eye. All repaired. Be sure to join the mailing list when it
    enters existence.

    *starch*

    _why
    why the lucky stiff, Feb 17, 2004
  10. Kent Dahl wrote:

    > ....chapter three and going strong, I've got to say I think that is a
    > _good_ thing. I'm getting the feeling this should come with a
    > PG-rating, and be kept safe out of the reach of wee 'uns, the easily
    > agitated and politicians.

    Not to worry. The "clean" version is in the works and (fingers crossed)
    will likely come with a plush toy fox.

    Thanks. (*starch*)

    _why
    why the lucky stiff, Feb 17, 2004
  11. why the lucky stiff

    Peter Guest

    > While we're on it: "wierd" appears in a cartoon. (Heh, grep _that_!)

    There's also an "intellegently" in chapter 2, part 3.
    ^
    Peter
    Peter, Feb 17, 2004
  12. why the lucky stiff

    Rasputin Guest

    why the lucky stiff wrote:
    > Greetings. Man, I'm giddy about this announcement. My blood is visibly
    > pulsing.
    >
    > On Nov. 11, 2003, during RubyConf 2003, I kinda mentioned a major
    > project of mine that I believed would "change the Ruby world
    > significantly." [1] Well, we'll see about that. Sorry if that was a
    > bit pompous, but I'll let you be the judge of that.

    Beautiful, cheers.
    I'll print it out in pamphlet form if I may and take a soapbox full to
    Queen Street tomorrow afternoon.

    Incidentally, even Google doesnt know who Smotchkkiss is. Congratulations!
    Rasputin, Feb 18, 2004
  13. why the lucky stiff

    Rasputin Guest

    Rasputin wrote:

    > Incidentally, even Google doesnt know who Smotchkkiss is. Congratulations!

    One other thing, this:

    require 'net/http'
    Net::HTTP.start( 'www.ruby-lang.org', 80 ) do |http|
    print( http.get( '/index.html' ).body )
    end

    gives a 404 - how about /en/index.html (ha, internationalize *that*!) ?
    Rasputin, Feb 18, 2004
  14. why the lucky stiff

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <>,
    why the lucky stiff <> wrote:
    >Greetings. Man, I'm giddy about this announcement. My blood is visibly
    >pulsing.
    >
    >On Nov. 11, 2003, during RubyConf 2003, I kinda mentioned a major
    >project of mine that I believed would "change the Ruby world
    >significantly." [1] Well, we'll see about that. Sorry if that was a
    >bit pompous, but I'll let you be the judge of that.
    >
    >Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby is a free, open-source book for anyone
    >wanting to learn Ruby. I have finished the first three chapters. You
    >can start reading at http://poignantguide.net/.
    >
    >This book is not so much a manual. There will be no reference. This
    >book is closer to a novel, a comic, or maybe a biography. Or all
    >three. Ultimately, I'd like to have a book that could be so accessible
    >that it could be a NYT bestseller. Of course, I don't ever expect that
    >to happen, but that's how plain I'd like the instruction to be.
    >
    >Face it. This is the future. Kids are going to be programming their
    >skateboards, their GI-Joe tanks, their shoelaces, their oatmeal. Ruby
    >could easily be that language that the common man can get his hooks
    >into. This probably isn't the book that will make Ruby become
    >universal, but it's a steppie in that vicinity.
    >
    >My roadmap has the book finished next summer. This gives me a couple
    >months for each chapter. I'd like to release early and often. The best
    >thing you can do is bug me. Feedback. Constant reminders when a new
    >chapter is due. Bug me to death. The demand will motivate me. If you
    >don't like the book, tell me why.
    >
    >I have no intention to print the book. I have no desire to publish. I
    >am not working on PDF, Palm, TeX, etc. versions of the book. I am
    >writing the book and I am going to leave those matters for later.
    >
    >However, I will be setting up a RubyForge project soon. The
    >YAML/Textile source for the book will be available for any of you to
    >format, print or reuse. I am releasing it all (graphics included) under
    >the GPL'ish Attribution-ShareAlike [2] license of the Creative Commons.
    >Cool?
    >
    >Okay, then. I *starch* you all!

    Noooo... we're all doing that low-carb diet thing. No *starch*!

    Why, your missive is a postmodern literary tour de force. I couldn't put
    it down (now my arms hurt from holding the monitor that long).

    Do you think you could come speak to our writer's club? Some of us even
    don our fox suits and pretend to be Ruby programmers.

    Are you sure you're from Utah? Your book has such a Portland
    zine-scene flavor to it. Don't lose your roadmap.

    Phil
    Phil Tomson, Feb 18, 2004
  15. why the lucky stiff <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > >how about translations? :)
    > >
    > >my dutch really does suck but i'd just love to get my
    > >cousins speaking ruby as i'm pretty fluent in that :)
    > >

    > Calm down. I want to help everyone's cousins. Let's see what we can do.
    >
    > I have not an whim of idea as to how we could get this book translated.
    > Especially considering that I am constantly revising and rephrasing. In
    > addition, I intend to change flow based on audience reaction. I fear
    > that embarking on translation too soon will either (a) inhibit the
    > flexibility of revisions or (b) drive the translators to harpoon
    > theyselves, leaving behind them a smattering of ancient (poignant)
    > translations. Yeh?

    no time to get that quick. Go on writing. when you feel like it,
    show us the code (possibly in little chunks). Put it on a versioning
    system somewhere. And forget about translators.
    The bsd handbook is handled much like this and, somehow, it works :)

    BTW, in my first mesage I forget to say:
    I would *adore* this if we could have some system to eval/print the
    various statements in text itself. If you ever looked at the
    VisualWorks intro/tutorial you know what I mean.
    gabriele renzi @ google, Feb 18, 2004
  16. why the lucky stiff <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Greetings. Man, I'm giddy about this announcement. My blood is visibly
    > pulsing.
    >
    > On Nov. 11, 2003, during RubyConf 2003, I kinda mentioned a major
    > project of mine that I believed would "change the Ruby world
    > significantly." [1] Well, we'll see about that. Sorry if that was a
    > bit pompous, but I'll let you be the judge of that.

    Wow... cool stuff. I'm gonna have to make sure I have plenty of chunky
    bacon around while I'm programming in Ruby, from now on.

    One request though... the text doesn't wrap to the width of the
    browser window. The line length is fixed, forcing you to size the
    browser to a certain minimum width if you don't want to get a
    horizontal scroll bar. It seems a lot of web sites do that these days,
    and it's a pet peeve of mine. I don't want to have to make my browser
    wide enough to wallpaper my house just to read the site without
    horizontal scrolling. :)
    Karl von Laudermann, Feb 18, 2004
  17. [OT] Re: [ANN] Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby, Chapters 1 to 3

    On Feb 18, 2004, at 7:29 AM, Karl von Laudermann wrote:
    > One request though... the text doesn't wrap to the width of the
    > browser window. The line length is fixed, forcing you to size the
    > browser to a certain minimum width if you don't want to get a
    > horizontal scroll bar.

    Why, if you are set against a scalable design (sometimes users need to
    be saved from themselves by setting type with an optimal line-length)
    may I suggest specifying the width of the content be specified in 'em'
    rather than 'px'?

    This way the column width is locked to the current font size (allowing
    you to control a reasonable line-length), which can be scaled by the
    user.

    And even more off-topic...tables for layout?
    May I suggest my (currently-seeking-a-proper-home-on-my-site):
    http://phrogz.net/tmp/HowToDevelopWithCSS.html

    --
    (-, /\ \/ / /\/
    Gavin Kistner, Feb 18, 2004
  18. Poignant mailing list (was Re: [ANN] Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby,Chapters 1 to 3)

    Gavin Kistner wrote:

    > On Feb 18, 2004, at 7:29 AM, Karl von Laudermann wrote:
    >
    >> One request though... the text doesn't wrap to the width of the
    >> browser window. The line length is fixed, forcing you to size the
    >> browser to a certain minimum width if you don't want to get a
    >> horizontal scroll bar.

    > Why, if you are set against a scalable design (sometimes users need to
    > be saved from themselves by setting type with an optimal line-length)
    > may I suggest specifying the width of the content be specified in 'em'
    > rather than 'px'?
    >
    > This way the column width is locked to the current font size (allowing
    > you to control a reasonable line-length), which can be scaled by the
    > user.
    >

    > And even more off-topic...tables for layout?
    > May I suggest my (currently-seeking-a-proper-home-on-my-site):
    > http://phrogz.net/tmp/HowToDevelopWithCSS.html
    >
    > --
    > (-, /\ \/ / /\/

    Good, yeah. Definitely want the whole thing to be cooperative with
    scroll bars and all kinds of rez. Will check out the article.

    If any of you would like to follow development of the book or assist in

    _why
    why the lucky stiff, Feb 18, 2004
  19. why the lucky stiff

    Sean O'Dell Guest

    Congratulations _why, you just made the Slashdot front page!

    Sean O'Dell

    Sean O'Dell, Feb 18, 2004
  20. Simon Strandgaard, Feb 18, 2004