gtkwave-3.3.6 released

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by bybell, May 4, 2010.

  1. bybell

    bybell Guest

    [I tried to post this as a response to an earlier announce but wound
    up simply sending an email to myself...here goes again.]

    A bit of a delay on this release because of the complexity of some of
    the new feature adds.

    Most notable is support for the long awaited user-generated
    "transaction traces" (at the moment, not in Windows except for cygwin
    users). See screenshot here: http://gtkwave.sourceforge.net/

    The example is for real and a variant of it is included in examples/
    directory. Start by reading the comments at the beginning of
    transaction.c. You won't care about the particulars of how analog
    data is encoded on TI-99 cassettes unless you've been curious for the
    last 30 years, but most of the stdin/stdout traffic is significant.

    This should have some quite interesting uses such as allowing users to
    make ops such as bus transactions more human readable and meaningful
    as it's now possible for external programs to look at various signals
    over the length of simulation and generate traces as a response to
    what is in the signal data. Of course this could have uses for
    example with kernel tracing utils and other such debugging software
    which generated VCD data.

    3.3.6 can be downloaded at http://sourceforge.net/projects/gtkwave/

    To use:
    (1) group the traces you want to feed into your transaction
    executable.
    (2) set a transaction filter executable for the grouped "vector" trace
    (3) filter reads and processes VCD data (which contains extra hints
    for easier processing) from gtkwave
    (4) filter generates 1 or more sets of trace data. To display extra
    sets of generated trace data, simply insert blank lines after your
    vector trace for the extras traces. [I know this is a bit of a hack,
    but for now I wanted to get this working rather than treat user-
    generated traces as if they were a part of the dumpfile.]

    There is some documentation in the gtkwave.odt file, however for now
    between the docs and example source, it shouldn't be too hard to
    figure out how this works. I'll improve the documentation in an
    upcoming release.

    As a side note, do an fst2vcd on transaction.fst and you'll see one
    reason why I'd like that to be the dumpfile format of choice for
    gtkwave from now on: excellent compression and it's fast.

    Cheers,
    -Tony

    bybell, May 4, 2010