Guestbook script that does not support HTML?

Cliff R.

Hi,

I have a few sites that have guestbooks, using the standard Perl
script from Matt's Script Archives. Lately many unscrupulous SEO
companies have been posting lots of links to their stupid client
sites, and watching the guestbooks to constantly have to remove these
ads is been a real pain. I'd like to switch it to one that doesn't
support HTML, so they can't leave their HTML links and hopefully will
then give up. Can anyone recommend a script like this, preferably one
that will fit right in to replace the Matt's script? Thank you!

Cliff

Jeff Thies

Cliff said:
Hi,

I have a few sites that have guestbooks, using the standard Perl
script from Matt's Script Archives. Lately many unscrupulous SEO
companies have been posting lots of links to their stupid client
sites, and watching the guestbooks to constantly have to remove these
ads is been a real pain. I'd like to switch it to one that doesn't
support HTML, so they can't leave their HTML links and hopefully will
then give up.

Not sure about the script but it is easy to take this out with perl.
Backtrack several days and look at the thread titled "no html".

You'll want to do that if you have any sensitive information stored in
cookies (username/password). This exposes "cross site scripting"
security holes.

A simple regex can remove tags:

$input=~s/<.*?>//g;

or the tag pair plus its contents:

Of course, if you knew much about perl, you wouldn't be using Matts
Script Archive which even Matt has discredited!

Cheers,
Jeff