GUI and distrubution

anders

I have looked att Python on www.showmedo.com
And after this i start testing writing som program i Python.
But...

So how is the preferably way to distribute software written i Python
i am NOT into hiding stuff, more a easy way of giving eg friends
a copy of the program without having them installtion a lott
och other stuff.

My next question is witch is the best GUI to use, also consider
the delivery question above.

// Anders

Kevin Walzer

anders said:
So how is the preferably way to distribute software written i Python
My next question is witch is the best GUI to use, also consider
the delivery question above.

These are two of the most-often-asked questions on this list (along with
"What's the best Python IDE?"). Search the list archives via Google, or
do a general Google search. Some helpful terms to get you started
include pyinstaller, py2exe, py2app, Tkinter, wxPython, PyQt, and pyGTK.

James Stroud

Kevin said:
These are two of the most-often-asked questions on this list (along with
"What's the best Python IDE?"). Search the list archives via Google, or
do a general Google search. Some helpful terms to get you started
include pyinstaller, py2exe, py2app, Tkinter, wxPython, PyQt, and pyGTK.

One of these days, someone needs to write a tutorial on distributing for
the Big 3 (Linux, OSX, and Amiga--or was that last one supposed to be
M$?).

James

--
James Stroud
Box 951570

http://www.jamesstroud.com/

Jarek Zgoda

James Stroud napisa³(a):
One of these days, someone needs to write a tutorial on distributing for
the Big 3 (Linux, OSX, and Amiga--or was that last one supposed to be
M$?).

That would make 12 howto's (4 GUI platforms x 3 operating systems). Tedious.

Basilisk96

I have looked att Python onwww.showmedo.com
And after this i start testing writing som program i Python.
But...

So how is the preferably way to distribute software written i Python
i am NOT into hiding stuff, more a easy way of giving eg friends
a copy of the program without having them installtion a lott
och other stuff.

My next question is witch is the best GUI to use, also consider
the delivery question above.

// Anders

Indeed a popular set of questions; but what is your platform? Without
that information, I'll just give you my biased opinion: wxPython GUI
toolkit, py2exe for distribution, and WiX or Inno Setup for the
installer. Now, you guess what my platform is ;-)

Once you get comfortable writing a few py2exe setup scripts, try
Andrea Gavana's GUI2Exe - it makes the distribution process a bit less
painful.

Of course, you're welcome to search for other stuff as suggested by
the other responses.

Cheers,
Basilisk96

Bjoern Schliessmann

James said:
One of these days, someone needs to write a tutorial on
distributing for the Big 3 (Linux, OSX, and Amiga--or was that
last one supposed to be M$?).

I think the last one was Wintendo ;)

Regards,

Björn