    problem in our application) Pther problem that i should be aware of?

    Thank in regards
    Anders Jacobsen

    Anders K. Jacobsen [DK], Dec 30, 2004

  2. "Anders K. Jacobsen [DK]" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Does anyone have experience using gZip compression on the IIS server with
    > a ASP.NET application. How much can a page be compressed. As i see it it
    > must have a huge impact on the total size. Eg. if i take a 400 kb (260
    > rows in a datagrid with viewstate) and saveit as txt file an compress it
    > with winzip i zipped to around 30 kb. Thats something! Is the compression
    > rate in the same area on the IIS server?
    >
    > Is there any penalties expect a higher CPU usage from the IIS server? (No
    > problem in our application) Pther problem that i should be aware of?

    No. It just rocks. But just a little system admins configure IIS with
    compression. A big pity...
    Expect compression up to 90%

    Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\), Dec 30, 2004

  3. Anders K. Jacobsen [DK]

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Anders K. Jacobsen [DK] wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Does anyone have experience using gZip compression on the IIS server
    > with a ASP.NET application. How much can a page be compressed. As i
    > see it it must have a huge impact on the total size.

    From what I've experienced in web applications, expect compression rated of
    at least 70%.

    [...]
    > Is there any penalties expect a higher CPU usage from the IIS server?
    > (No problem in our application) Pther problem that i should be aware
    > of?

    For high traffic sites, you can perform compression through specialized
    hardware like Redline T|X boxes.

    Cheers,

    --
    Joerg Jooss
    www.joergjooss.de

    Joerg Jooss, Dec 30, 2004
  4. > No. It just rocks. But just a little system admins configure IIS with
    > compression. A big pity...
    > Expect compression up to 90%

    Sounds just great. Ill look into it.What browsers can handle gzip
    compression?

    Anders

    Anders K. Jacobsen [DK], Dec 30, 2004
  5. Anders K. Jacobsen [DK]

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Anders K. Jacobsen [DK] wrote:
    >> No. It just rocks. But just a little system admins configure IIS with
    >> compression. A big pity...
    >> Expect compression up to 90%

    > Sounds just great. Ill look into it.What browsers can handle gzip
    > compression?

    At least all modern versions of IE, Mozilla/Firefox, and Opera (don't know
    about Safari, but HTTP compression has been around for years now) . HTTP
    compression is only applied if the user agent sends an appropriate
    "Accept-Encoding" header, so even older browsers will continue to work, but
    recieve uncompressed content.

    Cheers,

    --
    Joerg Jooss