Hackers are ruining it for the rest of us.

Discussion in 'C++' started by CoreyWhite@gmail.com, Jul 8, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Free Speech is our constitutional right! But between the founding of
    the US and the 1990s, no one had free speech, or freedom of the press.
    It was nearly impossible to go to kinkos and print off flyers or
    leaflets to spread all over the town. You couldn't write anyone you
    knew an e-mail, or make a website to draw attention to important
    issues. No one knew how to write the president a letter, and most of
    the time people didn't know if they were voting for republicans or
    democrats because they didn't tell you on the ballot.

    If you wanted to send people letters in bulk to get your message out,
    you had to apply for a permit with the post office. So only huge
    corporations were able to do it. If you wanted to put a flyer up on a
    local bulletin board, you might be arrested for graffiti. And god
    forbid you start calling people up on the phone who you didn't know.

    Today all of this has changed, and we can spread any message we want to
    world wide, without anyone coming to our door and intimidating us out
    of our constitutional liberties. But the un-grateful kids of today
    feel like they have to challenge free speech. They right hate mail,
    death threats, pirate music and warez, and who knows what else under
    the theory that it is covered in their constitutional rights.

    But because of people like you, who I suspect are taking advantage of
    this new outlet of information. The people who have never had voices
    before, are being censored when they want to speak out about the
    government or the world at large.

    The kids today look up to terrorists, and don't realize that we could
    all connect online and change the world with one single voice. I post
    to usenet, and because of it get spam in my mail box every day. But
    I'm an outcast from the social order in America, so sending me spam is
    accomplishing very little. Harassing important people makes a little
    more since, if all you are trying to do is intimidate Americans. But
    they get very little spam because you don't even know their e-mail
    addresses. The whole thing is ridiculous.

    At least we have the open source movement now!

    8)

    , Jul 8, 2006

  2. Jack Klein Guest

    On 8 Jul 2006 10:21:37 -0700, wrote in
    comp.lang.c++:

    > Free Speech is our constitutional right!

    [snip rambling drivel]

    What constitution? Do you think everyone lives in the United States
    of America?

    In this group, you have the right to communicate freely about the
    standard C++ language. If you want to rant, start a blog, or find a
    group where rants are topical.

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

    Jack Klein, Jul 8, 2006

  3. Phlip Guest

    CoreyWhite wrote:

    > But I'm an
    > outcast from the social order in America, so sending me spam is
    > accomplishing very little.

    Give a moment or two for the Angry Young Man

    --
    Billy Joel

    Phlip, Jul 9, 2006
  4. Ian Collins Guest

    Jack Klein wrote:

    [reply to spam]

    Please ignore stuff news servers are able to filter out!

    --
    Ian Collins.

    Ian Collins, Jul 9, 2006
  5. * Ian Collins:
    > Jack Klein wrote:
    >
    > [reply to spam]
    >
    > Please ignore stuff news servers are able to filter out!

    Amen to that. The original never made it as far as my news client. If
    not for the reply, it would simply have ceased to exist (for those of us
    who use spam-filtering news-servers).

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

    Alf P. Steinbach, Jul 9, 2006
  6. backasswards Guest

    wrote:
    > Free Speech is our constitutional right! But between the founding of
    > the US and the 1990s, no one had free speech, or freedom of the press.
    > It was nearly impossible to go to kinkos and print off flyers or
    > leaflets to spread all over the town. You couldn't write anyone you
    > knew an e-mail, or make a website to draw attention to important
    > issues. No one knew how to write the president a letter, and most of
    > the time people didn't know if they were voting for republicans or
    > democrats because they didn't tell you on the ballot.
    >
    > If you wanted to send people letters in bulk to get your message out,
    > you had to apply for a permit with the post office. So only huge
    > corporations were able to do it. If you wanted to put a flyer up on a
    > local bulletin board, you might be arrested for graffiti. And god
    > forbid you start calling people up on the phone who you didn't know.
    >
    > Today all of this has changed, and we can spread any message we want to
    > world wide, without anyone coming to our door and intimidating us out
    > of our constitutional liberties. But the un-grateful kids of today
    > feel like they have to challenge free speech. They right hate mail,
    > death threats, pirate music and warez, and who knows what else under
    > the theory that it is covered in their constitutional rights.
    >
    > But because of people like you, who I suspect are taking advantage of
    > this new outlet of information. The people who have never had voices
    > before, are being censored when they want to speak out about the
    > government or the world at large.
    >
    > The kids today look up to terrorists, and don't realize that we could
    > all connect online and change the world with one single voice. I post
    > to usenet, and because of it get spam in my mail box every day. But
    > I'm an outcast from the social order in America, so sending me spam is
    > accomplishing very little. Harassing important people makes a little
    > more since, if all you are trying to do is intimidate Americans. But
    > they get very little spam because you don't even know their e-mail
    > addresses. The whole thing is ridiculous.
    >
    > At least we have the open source movement now!
    >
    > 8)

    You are very ignorant sir.
    DO NOT misuse the term "hacker" to refer to criminals, software and
    music pirates, and for **** sake people who look up to terrorists. For
    being so god damned philosophical about the Internet, you idiotically
    assumed that everyone who reads your OT thread is in the U.S.A. To put
    it lightly, the world would be far better off without ignoramuses like
    yourself. You must be the most ignorant son of a bitch I have every
    encountered on Usenet. People like YOU ruin it for everyone. Hackers
    actually helped create the Internet and wrote nearly all of the open
    source software you refer to. See
    http://www.jargon.8hz.com/html/H/hacker.html for a definition of the
    word hacker and get educated so that you never embarrass yourself so
    miserably again. Jackass.

    backasswards, Jul 9, 2006
  7. backasswards Guest

    backasswards wrote:
> [...]
    > >
    > > At least we have the open source movement now!
    > >
    > > 8)

    > You are very ignorant sir.
    > DO NOT misuse the term "hacker" to refer to criminals, software and
    > music pirates, and for **** sake people who look up to terrorists. For
    > being so god damned philosophical about the Internet, you idiotically
    > assumed that everyone who reads your OT thread is in the U.S.A. To put
    > it lightly, the world would be far better off without ignoramuses like
    > yourself. You must be the most ignorant son of a bitch I have every
    > encountered on Usenet. People like YOU ruin it for everyone. Hackers
    > actually helped create the Internet and wrote nearly all of the open
    > source software you refer to. See
    > http://www.jargon.8hz.com/html/H/hacker.html for a definition of the
    > word hacker and get educated so that you never embarrass yourself so

    *ever encountered

    backasswards, Jul 9, 2006
  8. <> wrote:

    > Re: Hackers are ruining it for the rest of us.

    I'm a "hacker", but I'm not ruining anything for anyone.

    > (snip remainder of bizarre talk)

    Ok, bizarre talk is nice, and doing on Usenet is nice, too.
    But it's off-topic for this newsgroup. This group is for
    discussion of C++. (That's a computer programming language.)
    Here's the FAQ for this group:

    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/

    Read that, learn some C++, then come back and we can talk
    about it.

    In the meantime, bizarre talk goes in the following group
    instead:

    talk.bizarre (I set folowup here)

    Go there, and let's talk bizarrely to each other.

    --
    Cheers,
    Robbie Hatley

    Robbie Hatley, Jul 9, 2006