Hackers are ruining it for the rest of us.

CoreyWhite

Free Speech is our constitutional right! But between the founding of
the US and the 1990s, no one had free speech, or freedom of the press.
It was nearly impossible to go to kinkos and print off flyers or
leaflets to spread all over the town. You couldn't write anyone you
knew an e-mail, or make a website to draw attention to important
issues. No one knew how to write the president a letter, and most of
the time people didn't know if they were voting for republicans or
democrats because they didn't tell you on the ballot.

If you wanted to send people letters in bulk to get your message out,
you had to apply for a permit with the post office. So only huge
corporations were able to do it. If you wanted to put a flyer up on a
local bulletin board, you might be arrested for graffiti. And god
forbid you start calling people up on the phone who you didn't know.

Today all of this has changed, and we can spread any message we want to
world wide, without anyone coming to our door and intimidating us out
of our constitutional liberties. But the un-grateful kids of today
feel like they have to challenge free speech. They right hate mail,
death threats, pirate music and warez, and who knows what else under
the theory that it is covered in their constitutional rights.

But because of people like you, who I suspect are taking advantage of
this new outlet of information. The people who have never had voices
before, are being censored when they want to speak out about the
government or the world at large.

The kids today look up to terrorists, and don't realize that we could
all connect online and change the world with one single voice. I post
to usenet, and because of it get spam in my mail box every day. But
I'm an outcast from the social order in America, so sending me spam is
accomplishing very little. Harassing important people makes a little
more since, if all you are trying to do is intimidate Americans. But
they get very little spam because you don't even know their e-mail
addresses. The whole thing is ridiculous.

At least we have the open source movement now!

8)

Jack Klein

Free Speech is our constitutional right!

[snip rambling drivel]

What constitution? Do you think everyone lives in the United States
of America?

In this group, you have the right to communicate freely about the
standard C++ language. If you want to rant, start a blog, or find a
group where rants are topical.

Phlip

CoreyWhite said:
But I'm an
outcast from the social order in America, so sending me spam is
accomplishing very little.

Give a moment or two for the Angry Young Man

Ian Collins

Jack Klein wrote:

[reply to spam]

Please ignore stuff news servers are able to filter out!

Alf P. Steinbach

* Ian Collins:
Jack Klein wrote:

[reply to spam]

Please ignore stuff news servers are able to filter out!

Amen to that. The original never made it as far as my news client. If
not for the reply, it would simply have ceased to exist (for those of us
who use spam-filtering news-servers).

backasswards

[...]

You are very ignorant sir.
DO NOT misuse the term "hacker" to refer to criminals, software and
music pirates, and for **** sake people who look up to terrorists. For
being so god damned philosophical about the Internet, you idiotically
assumed that everyone who reads your OT thread is in the U.S.A. To put
it lightly, the world would be far better off without ignoramuses like
yourself. You must be the most ignorant son of a bitch I have every
encountered on Usenet. People like YOU ruin it for everyone. Hackers
actually helped create the Internet and wrote nearly all of the open
source software you refer to. See
http://www.jargon.8hz.com/html/H/hacker.html for a definition of the
word hacker and get educated so that you never embarrass yourself so
miserably again. Jackass.

backasswards

backasswards said:
You are very ignorant sir.
DO NOT misuse the term "hacker" to refer to criminals, software and
music pirates, and for **** sake people who look up to terrorists. For
being so god damned philosophical about the Internet, you idiotically
assumed that everyone who reads your OT thread is in the U.S.A. To put
it lightly, the world would be far better off without ignoramuses like
yourself. You must be the most ignorant son of a bitch I have every
encountered on Usenet. People like YOU ruin it for everyone. Hackers
actually helped create the Internet and wrote nearly all of the open
source software you refer to. See
http://www.jargon.8hz.com/html/H/hacker.html for a definition of the
word hacker and get educated so that you never embarrass yourself so
miserably again. Jackass.

*ever encountered

Robbie Hatley

Re: Hackers are ruining it for the rest of us.

I'm a "hacker", but I'm not ruining anything for anyone.
(snip remainder of bizarre talk)

Ok, bizarre talk is nice, and doing on Usenet is nice, too.
But it's off-topic for this newsgroup. This group is for
discussion of C++. (That's a computer programming language.)
Here's the FAQ for this group:

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

Read that, learn some C++, then come back and we can talk
about it.

In the meantime, bizarre talk goes in the following group
instead:

talk.bizarre (I set folowup here)

Go there, and let's talk bizarrely to each other.

--
Cheers,
Robbie Hatley