Hard time with installing MySQLdb for Python on Linux

gmax2006

Hi,

I am having hard time with installing MySQLdb on Linux.

My Python version is 2.3. I have downloaded
"MySQL-python-1.2.1_p2.tar.gz" from sourceforge. The README file
asks for MySQL installation. My MySql server is on another box. That is
why I think I should to install just the MySql client (am I right?).

My Linux is "Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant)"

These RPMs are available on the MySql download for "Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 4 RPM (x86) downloads":

Server
Client
Shared libraries
Shared compatibility libraries (3.23, 4.x, 5.x libs in same package)
Headers and libraries
Test suite
Debug information

Which one of above RMPs should I install on my RedHat box to be able to
make "MySQL-python-1.2.1_p2.tar.gz" work?

Any help would be appreciated,
Max

Dennis Lee Bieber

asks for MySQL installation. My MySql server is on another box. That is
why I think I should to install just the MySql client (am I right?).
What is IN the client package -- if it is just the standalone
command line programs, it won't do you any good...
Shared libraries

Given that these are "shared", they may be needed by any custom
client...
Headers and libraries

If you have to compile anything you'll likely need these.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

"gmax2006 said:
I am having hard time with installing MySQLdb on Linux.

My Linux is "Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant)"

Why don't you just use yum to install python-mysql or whatever the
package is called, and have it automatically work out what else is
needed?