Having a hope that IE will die? I doubt it will.

Blinky the Shark

Kevin said:
Blinky the Shark wrote:
IMNSOHO, it's pretty simple: once someone tries it and finds that it is

Perhaps oversimple, no offense intended. I understand this grass roots
process, but it didn't happen with Mozilla, to this extent. That's why
I've been asking "why now?", as versus "how does word of mouth work?" I
won't ask any more, though, as I see this is as far as the answers are
going to get. No prob. I'm just happy that it *is* happening. :)

Kevin Scholl

Blinky said:
Kevin Scholl wrote:

Perhaps oversimple, no offense intended. I understand this grass roots

None taken. :)
process, but it didn't happen with Mozilla, to this extent. That's why
I've been asking "why now?", as versus "how does word of mouth work?" I
won't ask any more, though, as I see this is as far as the answers are
going to get. No prob. I'm just happy that it *is* happening. :)

It's my belief that it didn't happen as much with Mozilla for two
reasons: 1) different products, namely browser only vs. suite, and 2)
the Mozilla suite, for some time, was compared most directly to
Netscape, which left a bad taste in some people's mouths.

It also doesn't hurt that Firefox is hitting the ground running at a
time when IE is under very public (and very viable) criticism.

Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/
(e-mail address removed)

Blinky the Shark

None taken. :)

Thank you.
It's my belief that it didn't happen as much with Mozilla for two
reasons: 1) different products, namely browser only vs. suite, and 2)

*That* I hadn't thought about -- broswer versus browser, as versus (with
Moz) whole suite full of bolt-ons versus browser. (You may be sensing
that I don't care for jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none, bloaty suites.)

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Adrienne
No, but the people who the clueless take their computer to for repair,
or come by and fix their computer, are installing FF for them. Then
they are probably letting FF set itself as the default browser. Wow!
FF just became the Internet!

I just had this experience this afternoon while visiting a client. My
client opened IE (the only browser on the system at that time) and
immediately, count 'em, 35 (Thirty-five) windows opened! She has Search
Wizard BHO, and I'm going back tomorrow morning to finally kill it.

I changed her hosts file so at least now only two windows try to pop up
(and can't go anywhere cause they're getting a 404), and I installed
Firefox and removed the IE icon from her desktop. I renamed the Firefox
icon to The Internet.

Travis Newbury

Henry said:
Just read some news about IE 7.0.

Ok lets say the new version of IE addresses the validation issues so it
works exaclty like (or better than) firefox (or opera, or insert your
favorite browser)

And lets say they add features like pop-up blocking, tabbed browsing,
and a few of the other favorites.

Do you think it would put an end to the IE bashing here? HA!
Unlikely. People in general (and even more so here) have to have a
common enemy. Microsoft is that common enemy for most, and in these
people's eyes, if Microsoft ever does something right, then they would
want to change the meaning of the word right.

Yes, I am laughing at all of you, and if you step back, you will be
laughing too.

Travis Newbury

Henry said:
The judgment is - to end of our miserable life in hands of The Judge and
The Executor - Bill Gates.
Arghhhhh....

Man henry, you have some deep issues your dealing with here. You know
worry and stress will kill you.

Travis Newbury

Adrienne said:
Word of mouth, being hip, dislike of Microsoft.

I think dislike of Microsoft is the primary reason. FF is good, but it
has its issues too (but it is my primary browser) I keep IE around to
use when FF can't handle the page or application.

Travis Newbury

Blinky said:
Again: why FF, why now? What's different?

The web is different that's all.

Now I agree with the author. If the next version of IE handles HTML
and CSS corrrrectly, an it has Tabs, then I am going back, other will
be going back, and IE will regain it's market share.

If IE fixes the issues everyone bitches about, then you will have a
hard time convincing someone to switch because all your arguments will
be gone.

"You need to switch to Firefox (insert your favorite browser here)"

"Why? IE now does everything correctly and has tabs."

"Well it was made by Microsoft"

"so..."

If IE is fixed, (and right now you, me, and others have no idea if it
is fixed or not so rather than blindly bashing something, how about we
wait and see?) Then the ONLY reason to switch would be because you
hate Microsoft.

Not a compelling argument to a Microsoft world.

kchayka

Travis said:
If the next version of IE handles HTML and CSS corrrrectly

MS has already made it pretty clear that they don't intend to beef up
their standards support any time in the foreseeable future. They give
some lame excuse like all the existing sites that would break if they
did such a thing.

If somebody knows of a report that says otherwise, I'd surely like to
see it.

Travis Newbury

kchayka said:
MS has already made it pretty clear that they don't intend to beef up
their standards support any time in the foreseeable future. They give
some lame excuse like all the existing sites that would break if they
did such a thing.
If somebody knows of a report that says otherwise, I'd surely like to
see it.

But if they do address these issues, would it make a difference to you?

Ryan Heuser

Travis said:
Ok lets say the new version of IE addresses the validation issues so it
works exaclty like (or better than) firefox (or opera, or insert your
favorite browser)

And lets say they add features like pop-up blocking, tabbed browsing,
and a few of the other favorites.

Do you think it would put an end to the IE bashing here? HA!
Unlikely. People in general (and even more so here) have to have a
common enemy. Microsoft is that common enemy for most, and in these
people's eyes, if Microsoft ever does something right, then they would
want to change the meaning of the word right.

Yes, I am laughing at all of you, and if you step back, you will be
laughing too.

I love XP.

-Ryan (A Confessed IE Hater)

Lauri Raittila

Ok lets say the new version of IE addresses the validation issues so it
works exaclty like (or better than) firefox (or opera, or insert your
favorite browser)

And lets say they add features like pop-up blocking, tabbed browsing,
and a few of the other favorites.

Where is mouse gestures, customisation, userstylesheets, medium screen
rendering, MDI, sidebars, undo of closed windows, sessions, better
unicode support, minimum font size, zoom, searches, better visited links
support, small screen rendering, notes? Are they all "a few"? I use all
of these, most dayly, all at least weekly.

Other people have different favorite features.
Do you think it would put an end to the IE bashing here? HA!
Unlikely. People in general (and even more so here) have to have a
common enemy. Microsoft is that common enemy for most, and in these
people's eyes, if Microsoft ever does something right, then they would
want to change the meaning of the word right.

Yes, I am laughing at all of you, and if you step back, you will be
laughing too.

I'm laughing at you, believing in impossible...

Of course, if that would happen, I would use IE. But is it likely?
Certainly not.

Lauri Raittila

Blinky the Shark wrote:
Now I agree with the author. If the next version of IE handles HTML
and CSS corrrrectly, an it has Tabs, then I am going back, other will
be going back, and IE will regain it's market share.

IE need lots more than just standards support, tabs and security to beat
FF. And as we can see, FF has not beaten opera with just those. (people
keep buying it)

And I am certainly not able to go back, I have never used IE in first
place.

And why would anyone change their browser just becuase new IE version, if
this new IE version wouldn't include something that is not in browswer
that he currently uses?
If IE fixes the issues everyone bitches about, then you will have a
hard time convincing someone to switch because all your arguments will
be gone.

That is true. But there is still lots of arguments left. What they are is
impossible to say.
"You need to switch to Firefox (insert your favorite browser here)"

"Why? IE now does everything correctly and has tabs."

I know plenty of people that wont ask why, when I say that. They ask "Can
you do that for me?". Which is one reason I don't recommend changing of
browser too often.

kchayka

Travis said:
But if they do address these issues, would it make a difference to you?

I doubt it, since I don't care for IE's feature set, either, like:

- Can't set the default text size. Their idea of small-large is woefully
inadequate to me.

- Buried and non-intuitive pref settings for stuff like toggling
JavaScript on/off. Any time I want to change a setting in IE, I end up
doing a hunt-and-peck for 5 minutes.

It's just kludgy to use and feature poor, IMO. I don't get why some
people like it so much.

Travis Newbury

Lauri said:
Where is mouse gestures, customisation, userstylesheets, medium screen
rendering, MDI, sidebars, undo of closed windows, sessions, better
unicode support, minimum font size, zoom, searches, better visited links
support, small screen rendering, notes? Are they all "a few"? I use all
of these, most dayly, all at least weekly.
Other people have different favorite features.
I'm laughing at you, believing in impossible...
Of course, if that would happen, I would use IE. But is it likely?
Certainly not.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I have been reading that
they ave been burning the midnight oil. I hope we will all be pleasantly
surprised when they release it.

Travis Newbury

Lauri said:
And why would anyone change their browser just becuase new IE version, if
this new IE version wouldn't include something that is not in browswer
that he currently uses?

They don't have to steal anyone back. If they fix the problems with IE
(even just the HTML and CSS ones) you will be hard pressed to convince
others they "need" to change. Then they keep their market share.

Travis Newbury

kchayka said:
It's just kludgy to use and feature poor, IMO. I don't get why some
people like it so much.

Because that is what they were brought up on.