Hello, will you allow a bit off-topic posting? Seek programmers interested in C-art

Discussion in 'Java' started by M_Mann@artenom.com, Jul 8, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    Pls excuse if you consider this off-topic. Conceptual artists seek
    programmers here.

    We are authors of "Exhibition of Living Managers" (MANAGEX,
    www.managex.info) which is is global conceptual art project, performed
    in world's leading contemporary art centres. Art objects at MANAGEX are
    real employed managers, who volunteer to exhibit themselves in a galery
    setting. Our new project is "Exhibition of Living Programmers"
    (PROGRAMEX), which is similar to MANAGEX but focusing on professional
    programmers.

    Managex' official website is www.managex.info. We have also just opened
    a Google Group here on Managex project:
    http://groups.google.com/group/Exhibition-of-Living-Managers-MANAGEX,
    where you are welcome to register and participate. Once we have
    substantial number of interested programmers, we will open a dedicated
    group on Programex.

    Hope to hear from you and see you at Programex. Again, sorry if this
    posting disturbed anybody.

    Best,

    MANAGEX / PROGRAMEX team www.managex.info

    , Jul 8, 2006

  2. Rhino Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Pls excuse if you consider this off-topic. Conceptual artists seek
    > programmers here.
    >
    > We are authors of "Exhibition of Living Managers" (MANAGEX,
    > www.managex.info) which is is global conceptual art project, performed
    > in world's leading contemporary art centres. Art objects at MANAGEX are
    > real employed managers, who volunteer to exhibit themselves in a galery
    > setting. Our new project is "Exhibition of Living Programmers"
    > (PROGRAMEX), which is similar to MANAGEX but focusing on professional
    > programmers.
    >
    > Managex' official website is www.managex.info. We have also just opened
    > a Google Group here on Managex project:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/Exhibition-of-Living-Managers-MANAGEX,
    > where you are welcome to register and participate. Once we have
    > substantial number of interested programmers, we will open a dedicated
    > group on Programex.
    >
    > Hope to hear from you and see you at Programex. Again, sorry if this
    > posting disturbed anybody.
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > MANAGEX / PROGRAMEX team www.managex.info

    You have created a pretty bizarre post here. I read it and couldn't figure
    out if you really wanted computer programmers or you really wanted the type
    of programmer who sets up a museum exhibition. I went to the
    www.managex.info page and found everything in a language that appears to be
    Russian, which I don't read, and no links for other versions of the page in
    other languages. I clicked on the Group link and found three posts, one in
    Russian and two in English, but the English posts were very vague and I
    STILL don't know what you actually have in mind. It _appears_ that you want
    people, managers and programmers (of some kind) to sit in museums as living
    exhibits so that museum patrons can speak to them. Now, that may be
    appealing for some but you neglected to provide any information on where
    this museum is physically located! I could imagine some manager or
    programming sitting in a museum for a few hours if it was in his own city
    but I don't know too many that would travel at their own expense to a
    distant city to to this.

    If I were interested in participating in such a role, I might want to
    contact you but I failed to see any email link to make that possible.

    So, all in all, your communication skills are definitely lacking and you've
    just wasted several minutes of my time. But perhaps this was inadvertent so
    I thought I'd take a few minutes to explain what is wrong with your efforts
    so that you could improve them. After all, your project, whatever it is, may
    still be worthy even if you haven't communicated it very well.

    --
    Rhino

    Rhino, Jul 8, 2006

    Hi Rhino,

    Thanks for response. I don't know what was wrong when you were seeking
    information on MANAGEX. Our site is in English :) and has complete
    information about everything, including photos, videos, and quotations.
    When you visit www.managex.info you automatically are in the English
    main page. Yes, there is also a Russian version (because Managex was
    performed in Moscow), but you only get there if you really want :),
    it's available from to menu. Maybe you are using some browser which our
    site is not supporting? if there are problems with site, pls let us
    know... guess we really need some programmer here///

    Thanks
    Michael

    Rhino wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Pls excuse if you consider this off-topic. Conceptual artists seek
    > > programmers here.
    > >
    > > We are authors of "Exhibition of Living Managers" (MANAGEX,
    > > www.managex.info) which is is global conceptual art project, performed
    > > in world's leading contemporary art centres. Art objects at MANAGEX are
    > > real employed managers, who volunteer to exhibit themselves in a galery
    > > setting. Our new project is "Exhibition of Living Programmers"
    > > (PROGRAMEX), which is similar to MANAGEX but focusing on professional
    > > programmers.
    > >
    > > Managex' official website is www.managex.info. We have also just opened
    > > a Google Group here on Managex project:
    > > http://groups.google.com/group/Exhibition-of-Living-Managers-MANAGEX,
    > > where you are welcome to register and participate. Once we have
    > > substantial number of interested programmers, we will open a dedicated
    > > group on Programex.
    > >
    > > Hope to hear from you and see you at Programex. Again, sorry if this
    > > posting disturbed anybody.
    > >
    > > Best,
    > >
    > > MANAGEX / PROGRAMEX team www.managex.info
    > >

    > You have created a pretty bizarre post here. I read it and couldn't figure
    > out if you really wanted computer programmers or you really wanted the type
    > of programmer who sets up a museum exhibition. I went to the
    > www.managex.info page and found everything in a language that appears to be
    > Russian, which I don't read, and no links for other versions of the page in
    > other languages. I clicked on the Group link and found three posts, one in
    > Russian and two in English, but the English posts were very vague and I
    > STILL don't know what you actually have in mind. It _appears_ that you want
    > people, managers and programmers (of some kind) to sit in museums as living
    > exhibits so that museum patrons can speak to them. Now, that may be
    > appealing for some but you neglected to provide any information on where
    > this museum is physically located! I could imagine some manager or
    > programming sitting in a museum for a few hours if it was in his own city
    > but I don't know too many that would travel at their own expense to a
    > distant city to to this.
    >
    > If I were interested in participating in such a role, I might want to
    > contact you but I failed to see any email link to make that possible.
    >
    > So, all in all, your communication skills are definitely lacking and you've
    > just wasted several minutes of my time. But perhaps this was inadvertent so
    > I thought I'd take a few minutes to explain what is wrong with your efforts
    > so that you could improve them. After all, your project, whatever it is, may
    > still be worthy even if you haven't communicated it very well.
    >
    > --
    > Rhino

    , Jul 8, 2006
  4. > You have created a pretty bizarre post here. I read it and couldn't figure
    > out if you really wanted computer programmers or you really wanted the
    > type of programmer who sets up a museum exhibition. I went to the
    > www.managex.info page and found everything in a language that appears to
    > be Russian, which I don't read, and no links for other versions of the
    > page in other languages.

    here is english version:
    http://user.rol.ru/~kaffka/kaffka/Managex/Managexindex.htm

    Andrey

    --
    http://uio.imagero.com Unified I/O for Java

    Andrey Kuznetsov, Jul 8, 2006
  5. Re: Hello, will you allow a bit off-topic posting? Seek programmersinterested in C-art

    wrote:

    > Subject: Hello, will you allow a bit off-topic posting? Seek programmers interested in C-art

    > Pls excuse if you consider this off-topic. Conceptual artists seek
    > programmers here.

    [...]
    > Hope to hear from you and see you at Programex. Again, sorry if this
    > posting disturbed anybody.

    No problem, but for future reference: Please put "[OT]" at the beginning
    of the subject line. E.g:

    Subject: [OT] Seek programmers interested in C-art

    Good luck with your "Exhibition of Living Programmers," which btw sounds
    very, very weird. :)

    Jeffrey Schwab, Jul 8, 2006
  6. Rhino Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi Rhino,
    >
    > Thanks for response. I don't know what was wrong when you were seeking
    > information on MANAGEX. Our site is in English :) and has complete
    > information about everything, including photos, videos, and quotations.
    > When you visit www.managex.info you automatically are in the English
    > main page. Yes, there is also a Russian version (because Managex was
    > performed in Moscow), but you only get there if you really want :),
    > it's available from to menu. Maybe you are using some browser which our
    > site is not supporting? if there are problems with site, pls let us
    > know... guess we really need some programmer here///

    I just tried the link and I get an English page now. I'm using the same link
    and browser (Internet Explorer 6, probably the most widely-used browser in
    the world) as I did a couple of hours ago and I've changed nothing on my
    system. Apparently, something has changed on your end in the meantime - or
    maybe a DSN entry was finally propagated - so that may explain the problem.

    Maybe your exhibition needs to show managers and computer programmers _doing
    their jobs_, not just sitting around waiting for someone to talk to them? It
    might be more interesting - and educational - for visitors to be able to
    look over their shoulders and to ask them what they are doing. It would be
    an interesting experiment in communications to see the technical people try
    to talk to visitors in the same language: assuming that the visitors were
    not computing professionals, the programmers would have to figure out how
    to explain their work in ways that lay people could understand without
    patronizing them. It would also be interesting to see the visitors
    reactions: would they try to understand the technical people or would they
    just smile politely and leave if the technical people used terms they didn't
    understand.

    You still haven't said where you would like these managers and programmers
    to go. Are you really expecting people from foreign countries to spend
    thousands of dollars out of their own pockets to travel to Moscow to sit
    around in museum exhibits? Or are you planning on taking the show to other
    cities so that people can do this in their home city? If you were only
    trying to attract Russians or Muscovites, I assume you would advertise for
    "exhibits" in Russian....

    --
    Rhino

    Rhino, Jul 8, 2006
  7. Rhino Guest

    "Andrey Kuznetsov" <> wrote in message
    >> You have created a pretty bizarre post here. I read it and couldn't
    >> figure out if you really wanted computer programmers or you really wanted
    >> the type of programmer who sets up a museum exhibition. I went to the
    >> www.managex.info page and found everything in a language that appears to
    >> be Russian, which I don't read, and no links for other versions of the
    >> page in other languages.

    > here is english version:
    > http://user.rol.ru/~kaffka/kaffka/Managex/Managexindex.htm

    Thanks Andrey but the original link now takes me to an entirely different
    page - in English - than it did a few hours earlier. Apparently, they
    changed something at their end.

    --
    Rhino

    Rhino, Jul 8, 2006

    Hi Rhino,

    Thanks. Regarding your suggestion re programmers in action, I think
    that's interesring and I will pass it to authors. Actually, it is up to
    each participant to work or not. Some of the managers, for instance,
    brought their laptops and worked during exhibition, and comminicated
    with public as well (you can see that on the photos).

    Secondly. Of course, in each city we use local people, participants do
    not have to travel. Everything is done to ensure their convenience...
    It means, for instance, that if we get many candidates from California
    we will organize Programex event there, etc. That's whay we do these
    postings. Now, a Managex event is being organized in Rotterdam
    (Holland), because many managers-volunteers are from Benelux countries.

    Thirdly. As requested, I have sent you an email contact address - to
    "Rhino" mail - do you receive it? If not, please go to our site and get
    our email address from there (pr contacts), because I am not sure it's
    safe to publish email addresses here because of spam threats. Please
    contact us directly by email then, we will be very glad to hear from
    you, and we will provide all additional info.

    Thanks,

    M.

    , Jul 8, 2006
  9. Ed Guest

    Rhino skrev:

    > Maybe your exhibition needs to show managers and computer programmers _doing
    > their jobs_, not just sitting around waiting for someone to talk to them?

    The difference being ...?

    :)

    --

    www.EdmundKirwan.com - Home of The Fractal Class Composition

    Ed, Jul 8, 2006
  10. Mark Space Guest

    Ed wrote:
    > Rhino skrev:
    >

    >> Maybe your exhibition needs to show managers and computer programmers _doing
    >> their jobs_, not just sitting around waiting for someone to talk to them?

    > The difference being ...?
    >
    > :)

    The difference being, if they *were* doing their jobs, they'd have full
    mugs of coffee in their hands!

    ;)

    Mark Space, Jul 9, 2006
  11. Elena Guest

    Mark Space wrote:

    > The difference being, if they *were* doing their jobs, they'd have full
    > mugs of coffee in their hands!
    >
    > ;)

    This is exactly why our project logo is steaming coffee mug (see
    www.managex.info).

    Thanks for all the input, but are people interested in participation??

    Mike of Managex Team

    Elena, Jul 9, 2006