help :Basic Digest vs Windows integrated ???

serge calderara

Dear all,

does anyone can explain me clearling the real different between Windows
integrated authentication and Basic Digest ?

I know for instance tha Windows authentication is use with a company
intranet or Company satelites over the web. No need to ask for password when
identified.

what is basic dgest then? when this way is prefered compare to other ?

thnaks for wour reply
regards

Serge

Ken Schaefer

message : Dear all,
:
: does anyone can explain me clearling the real different between Windows
: integrated authentication and Basic Digest ?
:
: I know for instance tha Windows authentication is use with a company
: intranet or Company satelites over the web. No need to ask for password
when
: identified.

This is incorrect

: what is basic dgest then? when this way is prefered compare to other ?

Basic and Digest are different.

You can find out some information on the differences between Kerberos, NTLM
(these two make up Integrated Windows Auth) and Digest, and Basic Auth here:
http://www.adopenstatic.com/resources/books/293_CYA_IIS6_05.pdf
It's chapter 5 from the IIS6 security book that I co-authored. This chapter
covers the various Authentication mechanisms. If you find it useful and want
the rest of the book, there's a link to Amazon.com on my homepage.

Cheers
Ken