Help getting stock quotes

Jim Simpson

I'm not sure this is the correct forum to post this question. If not,
someone please tell me where I should go with the question.

I need to write a program which will enter a series of stock symbols in an
HTML file (on a web site), click on "GO" and retrieve the values of the
stocks.
Has anyone had experience in doing this. Please give me some pointers on how
to get started on this task

Thanks, Jim

David Segall

Jim Simpson said:
I'm not sure this is the correct forum to post this question. If not,
someone please tell me where I should go with the question.

I need to write a program which will enter a series of stock symbols in an
HTML file (on a web site), click on "GO" and retrieve the values of the
stocks.
Has anyone had experience in doing this. Please give me some pointers on how
to get started on this task

Thanks, Jim
It's not the correct forum! You cannot do this in HTML and you will
need to decide on the language you wish to use before anyone can tell
you on which group to ask the question.

I hate people who just tell me I have asked the wrong question so, in
case you want to use Java, here is the code you are looking for:
http://www.neuro-tech.net/archives/000032.html

Jim Simpson

Thanks very much David.

I was hoping to use Perl but Java would be OK also. My problem is that I
thought I'd have to get into the forms used in the HTML page to enter
symbols etc. and I don;t know how to get started on that. I'll look over the
item you referenced first.

Jim

David Dorward

I was hoping to use Perl but Java would be OK also. My problem is that I
thought I'd have to get into the forms used in the HTML page to enter
symbols etc. and I don;t know how to get started on that. I'll look over

You don't. A form is just a means to present a the user with entry points
for what are effectively variables. The browser constructions an http
request from the entered data. You don't need the form to construct an http
request.

Take a look at LWP.

http://search.cpan.org/~gaas/libwww-perl-5.79/lib/LWP.pm

Jim Simpson

Thanks David,

Can anyone suggest a site where I can get these values without requiring a
"Password"?

Jim

Jim Simpson

Thanks to all who responded. I apologize for dragging the subject off-topic
but the session was very very helpful.

Jim