    Has anyone had experience in doing this. Please give me some pointers on how
    to get started on this task

    Thanks, Jim

    Jim Simpson, May 9, 2004

  2. Jim Simpson

    David Segall Guest

    "Jim Simpson" <> wrote:

    >I'm not sure this is the correct forum to post this question. If not,
    >someone please tell me where I should go with the question.
    >
    >I need to write a program which will enter a series of stock symbols in an
    >HTML file (on a web site), click on "GO" and retrieve the values of the
    >stocks.
    >Has anyone had experience in doing this. Please give me some pointers on how
    >to get started on this task
    >
    >Thanks, Jim

    It's not the correct forum! You cannot do this in HTML and you will
    need to decide on the language you wish to use before anyone can tell
    you on which group to ask the question.

    I hate people who just tell me I have asked the wrong question so, in
    case you want to use Java, here is the code you are looking for:
    http://www.neuro-tech.net/archives/000032.html

    David Segall, May 9, 2004

  3. Jim Simpson

    Jim Simpson Guest

    Thanks very much David.

    I was hoping to use Perl but Java would be OK also. My problem is that I
    thought I'd have to get into the forms used in the HTML page to enter
    symbols etc. and I don;t know how to get started on that. I'll look over the
    item you referenced first.

    Jim

    Jim Simpson, May 9, 2004
  4. Jim Simpson wrote:

    >>> I need to write a program which will enter a series of stock symbols in
    >>> an HTML file (on a web site), click on "GO" and retrieve the values of
    >>> the stocks.

    > I was hoping to use Perl but Java would be OK also. My problem is that I
    > thought I'd have to get into the forms used in the HTML page to enter
    > symbols etc. and I don;t know how to get started on that. I'll look over

    You don't. A form is just a means to present a the user with entry points
    for what are effectively variables. The browser constructions an http
    request from the entered data. You don't need the form to construct an http
    request.

    Take a look at LWP.

    http://search.cpan.org/~gaas/libwww-perl-5.79/lib/LWP.pm

    David Dorward, May 9, 2004
  5. Jim Simpson

    Jim Simpson Guest

    Thanks David,

    Can anyone suggest a site where I can get these values without requiring a
    "Password"?

    Jim

    Jim Simpson, May 10, 2004
  6. Jim Simpson

    David Segall Guest

    "Jim Simpson" <> wrote:

    >Thanks David,
    >
    >Can anyone suggest a site where I can get these values without requiring a
    >"Password"?
    >
    >Jim

    Now we are really off-topic! You don't need to log in to look up stock
    prices at Yahoo (http://finance.yahoo.com/). Maybe you could skip the
    whole project and get the free Netstock
    (http://www.splitcycle.com/pages/netstock.asp) which will keep an
    regularly updated list of stocks on your desktop. :)

    David Segall, May 10, 2004
  7. Jim Simpson

    Jim Simpson Guest

    Thanks to all who responded. I apologize for dragging the subject off-topic
    but the session was very very helpful.

    Jim Simpson, May 10, 2004