Help installing a module... :¬S

Devon_Dan

Hi there,

I'm a bit new to all this so please excuse my ignorance. I genuinely
have searched for how to do this with no success. I am using windows
ActiveState (no chance of changing).

I am trying to install VMS::Stdio [http://search.cpan.org/~tty/
kurila-0.1/vms/ext/Stdio/Stdio.pm] but I can't. There is no
makefile.pl like the majority of the modules I have used to date and
there seems to be a hell of a lot more files so I assume it needs
compiling? Perhaps I have the wrong version and there is a CPAN module
somewhere? Can anyone give me advice (something other than RTFM would
be appreciated).

Thanks

Dan

Sisyphus

Devon_Dan said:
Hi there,

I'm a bit new to all this so please excuse my ignorance. I genuinely
have searched for how to do this with no success. I am using windows
ActiveState (no chance of changing).

Maaan ... just how avant-garde are you ? :)

You're wanting to install kurila-0.1 (released yesterday) on ActivePerl ?

I thought I was reasonably up-to-date with recent perl developments, but I
certainly don't know what "kurila" is.

Out of curiosity, I downloaded it and have tried to build it with both MinGW
and MSVC++ 7.0. Both attempts failed.
I am trying to install VMS::Stdio [http://search.cpan.org/~tty/
kurila-0.1/vms/ext/Stdio/Stdio.pm] but I can't. There is no
makefile.pl like the majority of the modules I have used to date and
there seems to be a hell of a lot more files so I assume it needs
compiling?

You'll find the Makefile in the kurial-0.1\win32 folder. (There's actually 2
Makefiles - a 'Makefile' for MS compilers, and a 'makefile.mk' for the MinGW
compiler.)

Just 'cd to the win32 folder, edit the configurable section of the
appropriate makefile (which should involve editing only the installation
location and the location/type of the compiler).

Then run '*make' (where '*' is either 'd' or 'n', depending upon which make
utility you're using - I'm guessing it's 'nmake'), and sit back and watch it
fail.

When I use 'dmake' I rename 'Makefile' to Makefile.nmake' and 'makefile.mk'
to 'makefile' - then I know that 'dmake' will process the *correct*
makefile. (This, faik, may not be a *necessary* step.) But if you're using a
Microsoft compiler and nmake, there's certainly no need to rename any files.

Trying to build with MSVC++ 7.0 failed almost immediately. But trying to
build with MinGW proceeded successfully for a few minutes. I didn't bother
trying to work around the failures - faik it may not be difficult to build
kurila on Win32. Instinctively, however, I feel it's not gunna be a trivial
hack :)
Perhaps I have the wrong version and there is a CPAN module
somewhere? Can anyone give me advice (something other than RTFM would
be appreciated).

Are you sure you need to install this ?

Cheers,
Rob