    be appreciated).

    Thanks

    Dan

    Devon_Dan, Apr 27, 2007

  2. Devon_Dan

    Sisyphus Guest

    "Devon_Dan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I'm a bit new to all this so please excuse my ignorance. I genuinely
    > have searched for how to do this with no success. I am using windows
    > ActiveState (no chance of changing).

    Maaan ... just how avant-garde are you ? :)

    You're wanting to install kurila-0.1 (released yesterday) on ActivePerl ?

    I thought I was reasonably up-to-date with recent perl developments, but I
    certainly don't know what "kurila" is.

    Out of curiosity, I downloaded it and have tried to build it with both MinGW
    and MSVC++ 7.0. Both attempts failed.

    > I am trying to install VMS::Stdio [http://search.cpan.org/~tty/
    > kurila-0.1/vms/ext/Stdio/Stdio.pm] but I can't. There is no
    > makefile.pl like the majority of the modules I have used to date and
    > there seems to be a hell of a lot more files so I assume it needs
    > compiling?

    You'll find the Makefile in the kurial-0.1\win32 folder. (There's actually 2
    Makefiles - a 'Makefile' for MS compilers, and a 'makefile.mk' for the MinGW
    compiler.)

    Just 'cd to the win32 folder, edit the configurable section of the
    appropriate makefile (which should involve editing only the installation
    location and the location/type of the compiler).

    Then run '*make' (where '*' is either 'd' or 'n', depending upon which make
    utility you're using - I'm guessing it's 'nmake'), and sit back and watch it
    fail.

    When I use 'dmake' I rename 'Makefile' to Makefile.nmake' and 'makefile.mk'
    to 'makefile' - then I know that 'dmake' will process the *correct*
    makefile. (This, faik, may not be a *necessary* step.) But if you're using a
    Microsoft compiler and nmake, there's certainly no need to rename any files.

    Trying to build with MSVC++ 7.0 failed almost immediately. But trying to
    build with MinGW proceeded successfully for a few minutes. I didn't bother
    trying to work around the failures - faik it may not be difficult to build
    kurila on Win32. Instinctively, however, I feel it's not gunna be a trivial
    hack :)

    > Perhaps I have the wrong version and there is a CPAN module
    > somewhere? Can anyone give me advice (something other than RTFM would
    > be appreciated).

    Are you sure you need to install this ?

    Cheers,
    Rob