Help Installing Python 2.3.5

Greg Lindstrom

I've been running python for years and have never had trouble installing
until today. I am trying to install Python 2.3.5 from python.org on my
windows 2000 box. I uninstalled everything from the previous Python,
downloaded and ran the exe and everything appeared to run correctly
(even got the "Python installed correctly" screen). Reboot. When I
open a dos window and type "python" I am told it doesn't know that that
is! The file association with seems to work. Do I need to map the PATH
myself? Everything's in the default directory (C:\Python23).

Thanks for your help,
--greg

--
Greg Lindstrom 501 975.4859
Computer Programmer (e-mail address removed)

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." W.W.

Peter Hansen

Greg said:
I've been running python for years and have never had trouble installing
until today. I am trying to install Python 2.3.5 from python.org on my
windows 2000 box. I uninstalled everything from the previous Python,
downloaded and ran the exe and everything appeared to run correctly
(even got the "Python installed correctly" screen). Reboot. When I
open a dos window and type "python" I am told it doesn't know that that
is! The file association with seems to work. Do I need to map the PATH
myself? Everything's in the default directory (C:\Python23).

Python has never (as far as I know) set up the PATH during
installation, so whatever you had before must have had
it pointing elsewhere. (Or did you not mean that you
already had Python running on this particular machine?)
You definitely need to set up the PATH yourself, or create
a python.cmd file that you stick in an existing directory
in the PATH and use that to execute Python wherever it
might be...

-Peter

Trent Mick

[Peter Hansen wrote]
Python has never (as far as I know) set up the PATH during
installation.

I think that's true of the python.org installer. ActivePython will add
the install directory to your PATH.

Trent