    in ie5 on a mac... as i dont have a mac ive no way of correcting these
    errors... anyone help me out?

    mark

    mark | r, Sep 7, 2004

  2. mark | r wrote:
    > ive just launched www.sicl.co.uk and im getting reports that it doesnt work
    > in ie5 on a mac... as i dont have a mac ive no way of correcting these
    > errors... anyone help me out?

    No idea about that, but I just viewed your page using Firefox with a
    minimum font size (14px) set. Those blue boxes (the ones with headings
    involving networks) overflow, and since their text is the same color as
    the background outside, they become unreadable.

    http://ecritters.biz/unreadableblueboxes.png

    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 7, 2004

  3. mark | r

    mark | r Guest

    "Leif K-Brooks" <> wrote in message
    > mark | r wrote:
    >> ive just launched www.sicl.co.uk and im getting reports that it doesnt
    >> work in ie5 on a mac... as i dont have a mac ive no way of correcting
    >> these errors... anyone help me out?

    > No idea about that, but I just viewed your page using Firefox with a
    > minimum font size (14px) set. Those blue boxes (the ones with headings
    > involving networks) overflow, and since their text is the same color as
    > the background outside, they become unreadable.
    >
    > http://ecritters.biz/unreadableblueboxes.png

    thanks for that... how do you get UL to accurateley sit around LI - if i
    dont set the height, the blue background only reaches approx 10px down into
    this area.

    mark

    mark | r, Sep 7, 2004
  4. mark | r

    kchayka Guest

    mark | r wrote:

    > "Leif K-Brooks" <> wrote in message
    >> mark | r wrote:
    >>> ive just launched www.sicl.co.uk and im getting reports that it doesnt
    >>> work in ie5 on a mac... as i dont have a mac ive no way of correcting
    >>> these errors... anyone help me out?

    >> No idea about that, but I just viewed your page using Firefox with a
    >> minimum font size (14px) set.
    >>
    >> http://ecritters.biz/unreadableblueboxes.png

    > thanks for that... how do you get UL to accurateley sit around LI - if i
    > dont set the height, the blue background only reaches approx 10px down into
    > this area.

    Are you relying on WinIE's broken CSS to get a particular visual effect?
    Floated elements (<li> in your case) should be removed from normal flow,
    so they shouldn't affect the container (<ul> or <div>) height. One
    solution is to not use list markup. IMO it isn't necessarily warranted
    here anyway. Regardless, how to deal with float containers has been
    posted many, many times. You could probably find the answer in the
    google archives within a few minutes. Hint: "clear:both".

    BTW, the blue boxes aren't the only area with overflow trouble. Neither
    the boxes next to it nor the DHTML menus adjust with text size either.
    Oh, and the page looks quite awful with JavaScript disabled, but then I
    get some error with JS enabled so it seems that it is a lose-lose situation.

    As for MacIE, it has quite buggy overflow handling, as well as quirky
    floats. How to get this layout to "work" in MacIE may not be so easy as
    simply adjusting a width (or whatever). However, if you stop depending
    on particular font sizes and pixel-precision for layout, you might get
    better results. But then, people have been telling you this for a long
    time now. Here's that link again, in case you've lost it ;)

    <URL:http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign>

    kchayka, Sep 7, 2004
  5. mark | r

    mark | r Guest

    "kchayka" <> wrote in message
    > mark | r wrote:
    >
    >> "Leif K-Brooks" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> No idea about that, but I just viewed your page using Firefox with a
    >>> minimum font size (14px) set.
    >>>
    >>> http://ecritters.biz/unreadableblueboxes.png

    >> thanks for that... how do you get UL to accurateley sit around LI - if i
    >> dont set the height, the blue background only reaches approx 10px down
    >> into
    >> this area.

    > Are you relying on WinIE's broken CSS to get a particular visual effect?
    > Floated elements (<li> in your case) should be removed from normal flow,
    > so they shouldn't affect the container (<ul> or <div>) height. One
    > solution is to not use list markup. IMO it isn't necessarily warranted
    > here anyway. Regardless, how to deal with float containers has been
    > posted many, many times. You could probably find the answer in the
    > google archives within a few minutes. Hint: "clear:both".
    >
    > BTW, the blue boxes aren't the only area with overflow trouble. Neither
    > the boxes next to it nor the DHTML menus adjust with text size either.
    > Oh, and the page looks quite awful with JavaScript disabled, but then I
    > get some error with JS enabled so it seems that it is a lose-lose
    > situation.
    >
    > As for MacIE, it has quite buggy overflow handling, as well as quirky
    > floats. How to get this layout to "work" in MacIE may not be so easy as
    > simply adjusting a width (or whatever). However, if you stop depending
    > on particular font sizes and pixel-precision for layout, you might get
    > better results. But then, people have been telling you this for a long
    > time now. Here's that link again, in case you've lost it ;)
    >
    > <URL:http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign>
    >
    > --
    > Reply email address is a bottomless spam bucket.
    > Please reply to the group so everyone can share.

    it works in moz tho so i thought that was the benchmark

    btw does anyone have any tips for handling sites that have masses ot fiered
    menues (like this one) as i know theres an issue when you turn everything
    off

    mark

    mark | r, Sep 7, 2004