Help needed to create a Python extension library for an existingshared memory hash table library

Simon Hardy-Francis

Hi Python fans, I just released my first open source project ever called SharedHashFile [1]. It's a shared memory hash table written in C. Some guy onQuora asked [2] whether there's an extension library for Python coming out.. I would like to do one but I know little about Python. I was wondering ifanybody in this group has experience writing extension libraries for Python? Could you help? Or could we collaborate? Thanks and all the best, Simon

[1] https://github.com/simonhf/sharedhashfile
[2] http://www.quora.com/Inter-Process-...ross-multiple-processes-through-shared-memory

Jens Thoms Toerring

Simon Hardy-Francis said:
Hi Python fans, I just released my first open source project ever called
SharedHashFile [1]. It's a shared memory hash table written in C. Some guy
on Quora asked [2] whether there's an extension library for Python coming
out. I would like to do one but I know little about Python. I was wondering
if anybody in this group has experience writing extension libraries for
Python?

There are, as far as I know, a number of tools that can help you
to create extension modules from C/C++ libraries (i.e. Python bin-
dings for the library). One that I have used successfully with a
largish C++ library of mine is shortly described here

http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/software/sip/intro

and the documentation and download are at

http://pyqt.sourceforge.net/Docs/sip4/
http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/software/sip/download

Since I haven't used any of the alternatives I can't comment on
how good they are. A list of them can be found here

https://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratingPythonWithOtherLanguages

Regards, Jens

Rustom Mody

Simon said:
Hi Python fans, I just released my first open source project ever called
SharedHashFile [1]. It's a shared memory hash table written in C. Some guy
on Quora asked [2] whether there's an extension library for Python coming
out. I would like to do one but I know little about Python. I was wondering
if anybody in this group has experience writing extension libraries for
Python?
There are, as far as I know, a number of tools that can help you
to create extension modules from C/C++ libraries (i.e. Python bin-
dings for the library). One that I have used successfully with a
largish C++ library of mine is shortly described here

and the documentation and download are at

Since I haven't used any of the alternatives I can't comment on
how good they are. A list of them can be found here

Thats an old looking list -- pyrex is on, boost is not
Worst of all the basic builting extending/embedding seems to be
not mentioned!

Heres a list I posted recently
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2013-June/650250.html

If it looks ok, maybe it should go up on that wiki