Help on HTTPModules

Arvind R

Hi,
I need to log all info,of whoever logs into my application and what all he
clicks...and which all methods are executed and what parameters are passed.

Is there any way I can log info at a single place....a common place and so
that I dont need to put code in all methods and in all pages...

any sample apps/code for this?

JuanCri

You may create a custon Page class. Like

public class MyPage : Page
{..}

and then override some methods, like RaisePostBackEvent... You must
inherit all your forms from MyPage then.

If you want to know wich method was called.. I think the unique
solution is to use NLog or other solution :S

Juan C. Olivares
www.juancri.com

Mr Newbie

Erm let me see.

You are asking if there is a method which does not involve you placing code
all over your application but which will log all clicks, all methods and all
paraments passesd.

Short answer is NO.

Can you arrange for a central log : Yes
Can you log each method with parameter values passed : Yes, Edit every
method.
Can you tell who's using the app : Provided you are not using anonymous
login : Yes
Can you log whenever an object is instantiated : Yes, add code to do so.

There is no short solution to this question, only one other question.

Why do you need this level of logging ?

gerry

erm not so fast ,

look around for resources on .NET profiling
i'm not so sure its really worth the effort but it is doable.

Arvind R

We need our application to be tracked.infact this is a commercial
application and we need to keep trace of the users and what they purchase
for initial period.

Arvind R

to put in more simple terms.

i want to track my users on what buttons they click and what screens they
use in an sequential order.

coz we are getting few complaints from the customers on application goin to
error pages.which we are not able to figure out how its happening and under
what circumstances with our test team.

so if we have the log mechanism in place will it solve our purpose?

Any ideas on this?

Mr Newbie

I had a similar problem with Lotus Domino when I was coding commercial sites
about four years ago. I had to retrofit the application with logging, but it
was not too bad really, the information was not as well used as I had hoped
for and I felt as if I had made significant effort for little reward.

My suggestions is that you ask for a report on how this information will be
used to better help you to design the logging system and this will
crystalise their thinking regarding the same.

If it can be justified, then do it, if not then maybe they will decide not
to ask you for the effort and spend the money.

If your a contractor, then what are you waiting for, its money in your
pocket and who cares if you think its a good idea or not.

Arvind R

We are doin the reengineering work for an existing web portal and done
several changes to the existing design/structure.

now that the customers are complaining of the errors which we are suppose to
handle it.

so i thought instead of waiting for them to send me the error details. i
shall probably put a log mechanism so that i can see that straight away
where and what went wrong.

overall its gonna be my effort and time which is to be spent anyway.

the log file could contain the simple date showing

page.aspx
username
password
Clicked login button
taken to this page.aspx
selected this menu from dropdown
clicked cancel
clicked submit button
taken to this page.aspx
clicked pay by creditcard
etc.

this is for the particular user on the particular time.basically there will
be lots of log files stored in the server for further reference.

right now ive decided not to complicate with involvinf all the
methods/stored procedures etc/

so do u think this can be done ?

i want to know about more on this.pls write me on this on how to go about if
possible

that will be a great help for me,.

Mr Newbie

Absolutely. It is probably best to write to an SQL Database or the Systems
Event log. You can look in the web for examples of writing to the event log.

Arvind R

do you have any reference for me to share?

ive searched thru google without great success :-(