HELP! Searching for research participants

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by peter pawlicki, Aug 3, 2009.

  1. Hi,

    my name is Peter, I am a social scientist from Frankfurt, Germany.
    Right now I am starting the research for my PhD thesis „Engineers and
    work in global design networks of the semiconductor industry“. I want
    to study how international teamwork is affecting the work of
    engineers, what kind of dynamics are being triggered on the level of
    skill sets and required qualifications. Besides pure analysis I would
    like to contribute to a better regulation of innovation offshoring in
    the semiconductor industry.

    One idea of the PhD thesis is to compare the situation between
    engineers in developed countries like Germany, France, USA and
    engineers in developing countries like the Czech Republic, Romania,
    Armenia, India and China. As for the developing countries I want to
    focus mostly on Eastern Europe because it is oftentimes overseen in
    the academic and public discussions about innovation offshoring.

    Methodically my research will focus on interviews with experts – i.e.
    R&D engineers and IC designers, R&D and project managers, HR managers,
    academic lecturers and also representatives of professional
    associations.
    As you probably can imagine getting in touch with engineers will be
    the most difficult task, as going the official way always requires
    approval of management, who is sometimes not very happy to let the
    engineers speek with social scientists (at least these are my
    experiences). This does not mean that I will not try to go the
    official way, but as groups and forums are an important communication
    platform for engineers, I decided to also try it through this more
    informal channel.

    The most important thing: ALL INFORMATIONS GATHERED IN MY RESEARCH
    WILL BE TREATED WITH FULL CONFIDENTIALITY AND WILL BE PUBLISHED ONLY
    AFTER A THOROUGH ANONYMISATION! NO PERSONAL NAMES OR COMPANY NAMES
    WILL EVER GET PUBLISHED. This data will also not be used for any
    commercial use.

    I am looking for engineers from semiconductor companies that would be
    willing to conduct an interview with me (about 1-1,5h). Either through
    Skype/AIM, or in case I could arrange some interviews from one company
    I would be very willing to travel.
    I am mostly interested in interviewing engineers that work in
    international design/development teams scattered around the world. In
    case you do not fit this profile exactly but would be interested in
    talking with me on this matter, I would be of course interested.
    If you know somebody that would be interesting for me, I would be very
    thankfull if you would forward him my request!

    Please feel free to ask further questions!
    On request I can provide more information in form of my PhD thesis
    abstract as well as a interview guide.

    I would appreciate any help!

    bye
    peter