Hibernate tools

Steve Sobol

I'm looking into the Hibernate O/R library to potentially cut down on the
time required to develop database-backed applications.

The concepts are simple enough to understand, but setting up all the files
seems a little time-consuming.

Assuming I have a SQL database set up already, are there any tools that will
allow me to generate a schema *and* the relevant class files using the
database structure and a hibernate.cfg.xml? It appears from the Hibernate
docs that the tools provided with Hibernate will only generate a schema.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / (e-mail address removed) / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

Sebastian Scheid

Steve Sobol said:
I'm looking into the Hibernate O/R library to potentially cut down on the
time required to develop database-backed applications.

The concepts are simple enough to understand, but setting up all the files
seems a little time-consuming.

Assuming I have a SQL database set up already, are there any tools that
will allow me to generate a schema *and* the relevant class files using
the database structure and a hibernate.cfg.xml? It appears from the
Hibernate docs that the tools provided with Hibernate will only generate a
schema.

There is a Hibernate plugin for Middlegen that generates the mappings files
from an exisitin database. And hbm2java generates the Jaca sourcefiles from
the mapping.

Sebastian Scheid

Sebastian Scheid said:
There is a Hibernate plugin for Middlegen that generates the mappings
files from an existing database. And hbm2java generates the Java
sourcefiles from the mapping.

Sorry, didn't have my keyboard under control and sent the post uncomplete.

Here is the Link
http://www.hibernate.org/256.html

And tried it and it works fine.

There are the new Hibernate Tools 3.0 which are still alpha
http://www.hibernate.org/255.html .
These are supposed to do this job, too. I did not try them.

Regards
Sebastian

Steve Sobol

Sebastian said:
There is a Hibernate plugin for Middlegen that generates the mappings files
from an exisitin database. And hbm2java generates the Jaca sourcefiles from
the mapping.

Bingo! hbm2java is what I wanted; I just couldn't remember the name of the
tool. Thanks :)

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / (e-mail address removed) / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

Gerbrand van Dieijen

Steve Sobol schreef:
I'm looking into the Hibernate O/R library to potentially cut down on
the time required to develop database-backed applications.

The concepts are simple enough to understand, but setting up all the
files seems a little time-consuming.

Assuming I have a SQL database set up already, are there any tools that
will allow me to generate a schema *and* the relevant class files using
the database structure and a hibernate.cfg.xml? It appears from the
Hibernate docs that the tools provided with Hibernate will only generate
a schema.

I use JDOGenie, a JDO implementation for ti, and I'm quite satisfied
with it.
It's not Hibernate, but it is an O/R mapping. JDO is a Java-standard.
You can use JDOGenie to generate a databaseschema for your database.
Also, when your objects are changed (new attributes), you can use
JDOGenie to generata a update-sql file. This can be very useful for
upgrading.