    --
    JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

    "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
    Steve Sobol, Jul 7, 2005

  2. "Steve Sobol" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I'm looking into the Hibernate O/R library to potentially cut down on the
    > time required to develop database-backed applications.
    >
    > The concepts are simple enough to understand, but setting up all the files
    > seems a little time-consuming.
    >
    > Assuming I have a SQL database set up already, are there any tools that
    > will allow me to generate a schema *and* the relevant class files using
    > the database structure and a hibernate.cfg.xml? It appears from the
    > Hibernate docs that the tools provided with Hibernate will only generate a
    > schema.

    There is a Hibernate plugin for Middlegen that generates the mappings files
    from an exisitin database. And hbm2java generates the Jaca sourcefiles from
    the mapping.
    Sebastian Scheid, Jul 7, 2005

  3. "Sebastian Scheid" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > "Steve Sobol" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> I'm looking into the Hibernate O/R library to potentially cut down on the
    >> time required to develop database-backed applications.
    >>
    >> The concepts are simple enough to understand, but setting up all the
    >> files seems a little time-consuming.
    >>
    >> Assuming I have a SQL database set up already, are there any tools that
    >> will allow me to generate a schema *and* the relevant class files using
    >> the database structure and a hibernate.cfg.xml? It appears from the
    >> Hibernate docs that the tools provided with Hibernate will only generate
    >> a schema.

    > There is a Hibernate plugin for Middlegen that generates the mappings
    > files from an existing database. And hbm2java generates the Java
    > sourcefiles from the mapping.

    Sorry, didn't have my keyboard under control and sent the post uncomplete.

    Here is the Link
    http://www.hibernate.org/256.html

    And tried it and it works fine.

    There are the new Hibernate Tools 3.0 which are still alpha
    http://www.hibernate.org/255.html .
    These are supposed to do this job, too. I did not try them.

    Regards
    Sebastian
    Sebastian Scheid, Jul 7, 2005
  4. Steve Sobol

    Steve Sobol Guest

    Sebastian Scheid wrote:

    > There is a Hibernate plugin for Middlegen that generates the mappings files
    > from an exisitin database. And hbm2java generates the Jaca sourcefiles from
    > the mapping.

    Bingo! hbm2java is what I wanted; I just couldn't remember the name of the
    tool. Thanks :)

    Steve Sobol, Jul 7, 2005
  5. Steve Sobol schreef:
    > I'm looking into the Hibernate O/R library to potentially cut down on
    > the time required to develop database-backed applications.
    >
    > The concepts are simple enough to understand, but setting up all the
    > files seems a little time-consuming.
    >
    > Assuming I have a SQL database set up already, are there any tools that
    > will allow me to generate a schema *and* the relevant class files using
    > the database structure and a hibernate.cfg.xml? It appears from the
    > Hibernate docs that the tools provided with Hibernate will only generate
    > a schema.

    I use JDOGenie, a JDO implementation for ti, and I'm quite satisfied
    with it.
    It's not Hibernate, but it is an O/R mapping. JDO is a Java-standard.
    You can use JDOGenie to generate a databaseschema for your database.
    Also, when your objects are changed (new attributes), you can use
    JDOGenie to generata a update-sql file. This can be very useful for
    upgrading.
    Gerbrand van Dieijen, Jul 9, 2005