    Is there a different window attribute or method I should use, or do I need
    to do this with VBScript?

    Thanks.
    Code Monkee, Jul 15, 2003

  2. On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:34:06 -0500, Code Monkee wrote:

    > How can the toolbar and menubar be hidden in IE?
    >
    > Is there a different window attribute or method I should use

    There is no method you should use. People tend to like their toolbars.

    playing://(nothing)
    Toby A Inkster, Jul 15, 2003

  3. Code Monkee

    spaghetti Guest

    "Code Monkee" <> wrote in message
    > How can the toolbar and menubar be hidden in IE? [in the main window]

    You can't, and why would you want to? This would make your visitors simply
    *hate* you. They wouldn't be able to leave your site. They wouldn't be able
    to go back to what they were doing. They wouldn't be able to open their
    Favorites. It would be a bloody mess. Your visitors would probably storm to
    your house with rope, straw, and torches.

    > Is there a different window attribute or method I should use, or do I need
    > to do this with VBScript?

    Irrelevant, both JScript and VBScript use the same DOM.
    spaghetti, Jul 15, 2003
  4. "spaghetti" <> wrote in message
    > This would make your visitors simply
    > *hate* you. They wouldn't be able to leave your site. They wouldn't be able
    > to go back to what they were doing. They wouldn't be able to open their
    > Favorites. It would be a bloody mess. Your visitors would probably storm to
    > your house with rope, straw, and torches.

    I'll bring the rope. Assemble up by the old mill at midnight. We gotta fight for
    them toolbars boys.......

    --
    Andrew Davidson
    Andrew Davidson, Jul 15, 2003
  5. Code Monkee

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Andrew Davidson wrote:
    > "spaghetti" <> wrote in message
    >> This would make your visitors simply
    >> *hate* you. They wouldn't be able to leave your site. They wouldn't
    >> be able to go back to what they were doing. They wouldn't be able to
    >> open their Favorites. It would be a bloody mess. Your visitors would
    >> probably storm to your house with rope, straw, and torches.

    > I'll bring the rope. Assemble up by the old mill at midnight. We
    > gotta fight for them toolbars boys.......

    I'll be there. But keep it quiet - we don't want them to know we are
    coming... ;-)

    --

    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jul 15, 2003
  6. Code Monkee

    spaghetti Guest

    > > I'll bring the rope. Assemble up by the old mill at midnight. We
    > > gotta fight for them toolbars boys.......

    > I'll be there. But keep it quiet - we don't want them to know we are
    > coming... ;-)

    Ooookay, I put together a list of things we need. Let's make sure we do this
    proper, alright?

    - Duct tape
    - Pickaxe
    - Shania Twain CD
    - Rubber hose
    - Dish to pass
    - Paper plates
    - Napkins
    - Can of gasoline
    - Blow torch
    spaghetti, Jul 16, 2003
  7. Code Monkee

    Mark Parnell Guest

    spaghetti wrote:

    > Ooookay, I put together a list of things we need. Let's make sure we
    > do this proper, alright?
    >
    > - Duct tape
    > - Pickaxe
    > - Shania Twain CD
    > - Rubber hose
    > - Dish to pass
    > - Paper plates
    > - Napkins
    > - Can of gasoline
    > - Blow torch

    You forgot the earplugs so *we* don't have to listen to Shania Twain. ;-)
    Other than that, looks like we're set.

    Mark Parnell, Jul 16, 2003
  8. "Code Monkee" <> wrote in message
    > How can the toolbar and menubar be hidden in IE?

    How can I get into your house and hide all the furniture?

    --
    Andrew Davidson
    Andrew Davidson, Jul 16, 2003
  9. Code Monkee

    DU Guest

    Andrew Davidson wrote:

    > "Code Monkee" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>How can the toolbar and menubar be hidden in IE?

    > How can I get into your house and hide all the furniture?
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Davidson

    How can a radio station hide all the other knobs and buttons by which an
    user could choose the volume setting, radio station and other
    customization features available on a radio?

    How could a tv broadcasting corporation implement a device working via
    waves which would prevent listeners from going to the bathroom (or
    leaving the living room) while advertisements are playing?

    How can an application take over full and absolute control over (and
    impose brutally its preferences) its users, customers via the
    application, software, device which is supposed to promote its product,
    respect the intelligence of its users, visitors, listeners, customers?

    How can an application impose brutally its preferences to its users,
    customers via the application which is supposed to promote its product,
    respect the intelligence of its users, visitors, listeners, customers?

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:
    DU, Jul 16, 2003
  10. Code Monkee

    Talc Ta Matt Guest

    For all you people bashing this guy for wanting to do this, there are many
    legit situations where it can be useful.

    I've seen this on some photo art sites. Instead of popping the photo up in the
    same window, they use a bare bones popup that's stripped of everything and
    resized to the exact photo dimentions.

    It's also very useful to use with a sized help screen popup.

    As for it not working in all browsers, the only mainstream browser that matters
    is IE, and that's what nearly everyone uses (most web stats don't go below
    95%). The rest is mostly Netscape, and those users obviously don't tweak it
    like Mozilla users do. Mozilla and Opera are primarily utilized by developers,
    and make up an extremely small portion of browsers in use.
    Talc Ta Matt, Jul 16, 2003
  11. Code Monkee

    rf Guest

    "Talc Ta Matt" <> wrote in message
    > For all you people bashing this guy for wanting to do this, there are many
    > legit situations where it can be useful.

    Very very few such situations. About the only one I can think of is an
    intranet application and if this is the case then the OP sould have stated
    this up front.

    > I've seen this on some photo art sites. Instead of popping the photo up in

    the
    > same window, they use a bare bones popup that's stripped of everything and
    > resized to the exact photo dimentions.

    You might think so. The rest of us do not.

    > It's also very useful to use with a sized help screen popup.

    Bullshit. A help screen is just like any other window, it should have its
    normal chrome. And why a popup help screen. If a page needs a help screen to
    use it then it is badly designed.

    > As for it not working in all browsers, the only mainstream browser that

    matters
    > is IE, and that's what nearly everyone uses

    Rubbish.

    > (most web stats don't go below
    > 95%). The rest is mostly Netscape, and those users obviously don't tweak

    it
    > like Mozilla users do. Mozilla and Opera are primarily utilized by

    developers,
    > and make up an extremely small portion of browsers in use.

    Who cares. Removing the chrome from a viewers browser is a shit of a thing
    to do. However that is just MNSHO. You are entitled to yours and I will stay
    far away from your sites.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jul 16, 2003
  12. Code Monkee

    DU Guest

    Talc Ta Matt wrote:

    > For all you people bashing this guy for wanting to do this, there are many
    > legit situations where it can be useful.

    Go ahead and name these. I'll forward these to Opera software dev. team
    and to Mozilla.org dev. team and to Safari, Konqueror, J. Nielsen, IBM,
    Microsoft user experience team, etc... They all must be wrong and you
    must be right. So, go ahead and list them one by one.

    > I've seen this on some photo art sites.

    Be explicit for starters. Name those art sites and their urls: they must
    be good ones, for sure.

    Instead of popping the photo up in the
    > same window, they use a bare bones popup that's stripped of everything and
    > resized to the exact photo dimentions.

    Wait! Are we still talking about popup or are we talking about
    non-window.open-ed() windows here? I asked this because the original
    poster wrote about non-window.open-ed() windows. Would you like me to
    quote the original poster here? He was clearly referring to menubar and
    toolbar of non-window.open-en() windows, you see.

    Here's a simple question for you. How can an MSIE 6 for windows user
    hide the menubar? That should be easy to do ... since no remote webpage
    is involve, no script needed? If an user can not remove, hide by himself
    the menubar from his MSIE 6 for windows GUI, then why and how come a web
    developer should be able to do this in window.open-ed() popups? That
    seems absolutely illogical to me.

    > It's also very useful to use with a sized help screen popup.

    How do you remove default browser css declarations like
    body {margin:15px 10px;} in MSIE 6 for Windows
    body {margin:8xp;} in Mozilla-based browsers
    body {padding:8px;} in Opera 7
    when you make a call like this:
    window.open("path/filename.gif", "", "with=400,height=200")
    when the width of the image is 400 and its height is 200? FYI, it's
    impossible.

    To remove these padding or margin, you absolutely need to embed images
    into an html file.

    How do you code around an user having the automatic image resizing
    feature ON like in MSIE 6 for windows and Mozilla 1.4 and NS 7.1?

    > As for it not working in all browsers, the only mainstream browser that matters
    > is IE, and that's what nearly everyone uses (most web stats don't go below
    > 95%).

    How many of these use proxomitron or other software killers to prevent
    popup from being so anti-user?

    The rest is mostly Netscape, and those users obviously don't tweak it
    > like Mozilla users do.

    Things are changing slowly but steadily in that respect. NS 7.1 is now
    able to restore window resizability in a popup which was created with
    "resizable=no". Firebird too. Soon every browser (thanks to browser
    manufacturers themselves) will give the user absolute control and the
    last word/veto on browser window functionalities (like resizability,
    scrolbars presence if needed) and presence of toolbars.

    Even W3C supports this way of thinking in numerous of its TRs.

    Mozilla and Opera are primarily utilized by developers,
    > and make up an extremely small portion of browsers in use.

    So what? Should normal users suffer from poorly respectful webpages,
    dominating web designers willing to control their browser toolbars?
    Where are your arguments? Be explicit.

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:
    DU, Jul 16, 2003
  13. Code Monkee

    DU Guest

    Talc Ta Matt wrote:

    > For all you people bashing this guy for wanting to do this, there are many
    > legit situations where it can be useful.
    >
    > I've seen this on some photo art sites. Instead of popping the photo up in the
    > same window, they use a bare bones popup that's stripped of everything and
    > resized to the exact photo dimentions.
    >
    > It's also very useful to use with a sized help screen popup.

    Many users over 40 years old,
    {
    you know, the kind of people who have worked all their life and now they
    have enough money to buy products on the web, surf on e-commerce sites
    }
    have lower eye vision and need to increase the size of fonts via
    View/Text Zoom in Mozilla-based browsers and View/Text size in MSIE for
    Windows.
    Now, many young over-excessively zealously controling and dominator-like
    web designers use popups with "resizable=no,scrollbars=no" in their
    windowFeatures list string of the window.open() calls not knowing that
    increased font size will make the content overflow the rigid popup
    dimensions they ordered in the window.open() call. The result of all
    this: the buyer, the customer, you know, the guy with the credit card
    number and holding the credit card, ready to buy, will not be able to
    buy the product because he can not see the price, he sees no scrollbars
    so he assumes there is no content being clipped. Since he can't resize
    the popup window to be sure, he closes the popup not understanding why
    he can't see the prices on that site.

    Every time a web designer removes browser functioanlities and toolbars,
    he removes the usefulness, the worthyness, the versatility, the
    usefulness of that popup window. He takes risks of making that popup
    furthermore unusable, not useful, etc.. He often defeats the purpose of
    the popup itself.

    DU
    ---------------------------
    Javascript and Browser bugs:
    DU, Jul 16, 2003
  14. Code Monkee

    Code Monkee Guest

    Whoa Nellie!!!
    Zealots, RELAX PLEASE.

    The reason I wanted to remove the toolbar and menubar is because this
    particular popup is launched from a 3rd party app, so I have no control over
    it's original creation state, and the one and only purpose of this popup is
    for form entry and I simply wanted to increase the odds that the user
    wouldn't need to scroll to view the whole form.
    (All concerns about removing things from the browser should be moot, since
    the purpose of this window is not to browse but to enter information into a
    form. And if they want to copy the content, gee, the right mouse button lets
    them do that, doesn't it? Yes it is your browser, but it's my popup!)

    After all the firestorm of postings, apparently nobody knows (or is willing
    to tell) how to do this!

    BTW, if you plan on coming to my house with rope and gasoline you might as
    well bring your crosses and bedsheets too, but I hope your ass is dog bite
    and rock salt proof.

    > How can the toolbar and menubar be hidden in IE?
    >
    > When opening the window via javascript I can specify
    > 'toolbar=no,menubar=no', which works fine.
    > However if the window already exists how can I remove them? If the

    browser

    Code Monkee, Jul 16, 2003
  15. Code Monkee

    Dexter J Guest

    Salutations:

    I'm not using .js anymore - I'd try giving the pop-up a target name (or
    finding out what it is) then try assigning the close to the target name - I
    think - I had something like it working about 3 years ago like that but I
    dropped javascript to focus on actionscript and I think you are indicating
    that some third party you are using is putting the form up - which may make
    a close command difficult..

    I started worrying (and seeing incomplete page transfers in the log here to
    confirm my worries) that internal site links I wanted to display in a
    stripped window weren't turning up past the 'pop-up' blockers about a year
    ago which - no matter how you cut it - is very sadly what a (any) window
    call has become..

    --

    J Dexter - webmaster - http://www.dexterdyne.org/
    no news no phone in - RealAudio 8+ Required - all the Time

    Radio Free Dexterdyne Top Tune o'be-do-da-day
    Queen - Fat Bottomed Girls
    http://www.dexterdyne.org/888/063.RAM

    Code Monkee wrote:

    > Whoa Nellie!!!
    > Zealots, RELAX PLEASE.

    <snipped for length - not for spite>
    Dexter J, Jul 16, 2003
  16. Code Monkee

    DU Guest

    Code Monkee wrote:

    > Whoa Nellie!!!
    > Zealots, RELAX PLEASE.
    >
    > The reason I wanted to remove the toolbar and menubar is because this
    > particular popup is launched from a 3rd party app, so I have no control over
    > it's original creation state,

    Ok. So, you want to control the browser window of your visitors, your
    users and if you could, you would want to control the coding of a 3rd
    party app, right?

    and the one and only purpose of this popup is
    > for form entry and I simply wanted to increase the odds that the user
    > wouldn't need to scroll to view the whole form.

    Ok, then increase the font size of that form and let's see how people
    will scroll that form popup without scrollbars... because this kind of
    scenario usually happen often to users over 40.
    Why don't you send an email to the web designer of that 3rd party app?
    Isn't that the coherent, consequent thing to do in order to address the
    real issue?

    > (All concerns about removing things from the browser should be moot, since
    > the purpose of this window is not to browse but to enter information into a
    > form. And if they want to copy the content, gee, the right mouse button lets
    > them do that, doesn't it? Yes it is your browser, but it's my popup!)

    Yeah.. but can they save the page? You know, File/Save as, File/Save
    Page as...? can they print the page without the menubar? Remember that
    someone in this thread said that some info could be so important that it
    would require a popup just to render the info. So, why format the popup
    in a way that defeats the pursued purpose of such popup then?

    The bottom line is always the same. The more (toolbars, browser
    functionalities) you remove from a secondary browser window (via the
    window.open() call), the more you make such window useless, unworthy,
    unsuitable, anti-user, the more it goes against accessibility to
    content. The more (toolbars, browser functionalities) you remove from a
    secondary browser window, the more you risk getting your users, your
    customers, your visitors run into problems, irritations, difficulties,
    fears, whatever. The more (toolbars, browser functionalities) you remove
    from a secondary browser window, the more you destroy the user
    experience of your site.
    The fact that now browser manufacturers are giving back to users
    absolute and full veto power over toolbars and browser functionalities
    is a sign that your attitude does not promote the users' objective best
    interests and the designers' objective best interests in such web
    interaction.

    > After all the firestorm of postings, apparently nobody knows (or is willing
    > to tell) how to do this!

    You never clearly explained the webpage situation; you never talked
    about a form, you never talked about scrolling before, you never talked
    about a 3rd party app. You only requested technical and very targeted
    questions about removing the browser toolbar and menubar in an
    non-window.open-ed() browser window and you got a fair, correct and
    precise answer on this. In MSIE 6 for windows, it's impossible to remove
    the menubar, even if the user wants to remove it, even without an http
    connection, without js, even if you were going to pay hundreds of $ to
    anyone who would do it.

    You're the one who posted very precise and targeted questions and you're
    the one who claimed to be able to remove toolbar and menubar in NS which
    is simply not true: you need to get full and complete consent from the
    user in a confirm popup box to do so... and why in the world would he be
    willing to do that? He can View/Show-Hide toolbars as he wishes, as it
    pleases without giving a web designer's scripts with unknown intents the
    power over his browser window.

    > BTW, if you plan on coming to my house with rope and gasoline you might as
    > well bring your crosses and bedsheets too, but I hope your ass is dog bite
    > and rock salt proof.
    >
    > "Code Monkee" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>How can the toolbar and menubar be hidden in IE?
    >>
    >>When opening the window via javascript I can specify
    >>'toolbar=no,menubar=no', which works fine.
    >>However if the window already exists how can I remove them? If the

    > browser
    >
    >>is Netscape I can use javascript:
    >> window.toolbar.visible = false;
    >> window.menubar.visible = false;
    >>but IE produces the error:
    >> "'window.toolbar.visible' is null or not an object".
    >>Is there a different window attribute or method I should use, or do I need
    >>to do this with VBScript?
    >>
    >>Thanks.

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:
    DU, Jul 16, 2003
  17. Code Monkee

    DU Guest

    Code Monkee wrote:
    > Rebuttals,
    > 1) I never once talked of removing the scrollbars, and in fact don't do
    > this, but people seem to like that rant.

    The "etc" in your posts suggested it could have been the case.

    > 2) Netscape (6.2.1 precisely)

    For the very first time, you pinpoint the version. Very very few people
    are still using NS 6.x. Why wouldn't they upgrade to NS 7.1 which has
    thousands of bug fixes including security and privacy ones, including
    many features? I don't know about NS 6.2.1 allowing you to turn off ,
    just like that, the menubar and toolbar of users (and if this is
    possible, then this is a privacy and security bug for sure because you
    never should be able to do that without the users' explicit consent) but
    I do know you can NOT achieve that in NS 7.x without the users fully
    aware consent.

    With NS 7.1, you just can NOT even turn off menubar and toolbar in popup
    windows.

    lets me do this, so saying NS won't is itself
    > simply not true.

    NS 7.x does not let you do this, just like that. I doubt NS 4.x lets you
    do this also.

    > 3) Why go into all the gory and verbose details of my app, their app, your
    > browser, his age, blah, blah, blah, when I merely asked for the answer to
    > the question "How can the toolbar and menubar be hidden in IE?"?

    and I'm repeating again that you got a full and complete answer. IT'S
    NOT POSSIBLE in "IE". Am I loud and clear?

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:
    DU, Jul 16, 2003
  18. Code Monkee

    Grant Wagner Guest

    Code Monkee wrote:

    > Rebuttals,
    > 1) I never once talked of removing the scrollbars, and in fact don't do
    > this, but people seem to like that rant.

    The entire post wasn't directed at you. It is intended for a larger audience
    consisting of people who may read your post and assume because a "professional
    developer" wants to remove menu and toolbars, it's an accepted practice. Also,
    as developers, the rest of us have a vested interest in promoting proper
    practices. For every developer that inappropriately messes with the users'
    experience, there is another user installing software or enabling features that
    make it impossible for the rest of us to rely on the behaviour of these
    features.

    > 2) Netscape (6.2.1 precisely) lets me do this, so saying NS won't is itself
    > simply not true.

    If Netscape 6.2.1 lets you do what you want, then it's a flaw in Netscape
    6.2.1, not proper coding on your part. If you want your userbase to use a
    crippled, bug-ridden browser based on a < 1.0 version of Mozilla so you can
    remove their menu and toolbar, you are certainly free to do so.

    Of course, I'd personally recommend Netscape 7.1, based on Mozilla 1.4, since
    it contains less bugs and more features then 6.2.1.

    > 3) Why go into all the gory and verbose details of my app, their app, your
    > browser, his age, blah, blah, blah, when I merely asked for the answer to
    > the question "How can the toolbar and menubar be hidden in IE?"?

    The toolbar and menubar can not be hidden in the current window in Internet
    Explorer. Of course, you'd have already known this if you'd checked the
    documentation:

    <url:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/objects/obj_clientinformation.asp
    />
    <url:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/objects/obj_navigator.asp
    />
    <url:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/objects/obj_window.asp
    />

    No properties or methods listed that can used (even with extended security) to
    remove the chrome elements you want to remove. Also, reading documentation
    provides you with a way to do what you want in Netscape 7.1:

    <url: http://www.mozilla.org/docs/dom/domref/dom_window_ref.html#1004028 />
    specifically <url:
    http://www.mozilla.org/docs/dom/domref/dom_window_ref32.html#1017467 />

    "To toggle the visibility of these bars, you must either sign your scripts or
    enable the appropriate privileges, as in the example above. Also be aware that
    dynamically updating the visibilty of the various toolbars can change the size
    of the window rather dramatically, and may affect the layout of your page."

    --
    | Grant Wagner <>

    *

    *

    * Tips for upgrading JavaScript for Netscape 6/7 and Mozilla
    Grant Wagner, Jul 16, 2003
  19. "Talc Ta Matt" <> wrote in message
    > For all you people bashing this guy for wanting to do this, there are many
    > legit situations where it can be useful.

    No there aren't.

    > I've seen this on some photo art sites. Instead of popping the photo up in the
    > same window, they use a bare bones popup that's stripped of everything and
    > resized to the exact photo dimentions.

    But that's not what he asked about. He wants to switch off the chrome etc in the
    *current* window (which may be my only one).

    > It's also very useful to use with a sized help screen popup.

    Irrelevant. See above.

    > As for it not working in all browsers, the only mainstream browser that

    matters
    > is IE, and that's what nearly everyone uses (most web stats don't go below
    > 95%). The rest is mostly Netscape, and those users obviously don't tweak it
    > like Mozilla users do. Mozilla and Opera are primarily utilized by developers,
    > and make up an extremely small portion of browsers in use.

    So, we take mainstream users who don't know how to configure their brower, and
    we switch off all their support mechanisms (toolbars, menus, etc). Why not just
    mug them?

    --
    Andrew Davidson
    Andrew Davidson, Jul 17, 2003
  20. Code Monkee

    Brian Guest

    spaghetti wrote:
    >>>I'll bring the rope. Assemble up by the old mill at midnight. We
    >>>gotta fight for them toolbars boys.......

    >>I'll be there. But keep it quiet - we don't want them to know we are
    >>coming... ;-)

    > Ooookay, I put together a list of things we need. Let's make sure we do this
    > proper, alright?
    >
    > - Duct tape

    Hey! This ain't weapons of mass destruction, you know! :-D

    I'll bring a mean dog, btw. In case the varmint tries to flee!

    --
    Brian
    follow the directions in my address to email me
    Brian, Jul 18, 2003