    How expensive are the non free ones?
    Which would be the better ones?

    Thanks

    Woof, Nov 4, 2004

  2. Woof

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Woof wrote:
    > I am making a website for a small business who want me to place a hit
    > counter on their website.
    > Are there any free hit counters?
    > How expensive are the non free ones?
    > Which would be the better ones?
    >
    > Thanks

    They're a really bad idea. Why on earth would anyone want to tell their
    customers how many people have visited their site? That's one bit of
    information people DONT need unless you are a system administrator.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Nov 4, 2004

  3. Woof

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html SpaceGirl said:

    > Why on earth would anyone want to tell their customers how many people
    > have visited their site?

    or not visited

    l i t t l e v o i c e s

    brucie, Nov 4, 2004
  4. Woof

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Woof said:

    > I am making a website for a small business who want me to place a hit
    > counter on their website.

    use your server logs, they're far more accurate however:

    Analog 5.32: How the web works
    4. What you can't know.
    You can't tell the identity of your readers.
    You can't tell how many visitors you've had.
    You can't tell how many visits you've had.
    Cookies don't solve these problems.
    You can't follow a person's path through your site.
    You often can't tell where they entered your site, or where they found
    out about you from.
    You can't tell how they left your site, or where they went next.
    You can't tell how long people spent reading each page.
    You can't tell how long people spent on your site.
    http://www.analog.cx/docs/webworks.html

    l i t t l e v o i c e s

    brucie, Nov 4, 2004
  5. Woof

    rf Guest

    Woof

    > I am making a website for a small business who want me to place a hit
    > counter on their website.

    Hmmm.

    What the spacegirl wrote, plus:

    > Are there any free hit counters?

    Endless. Google for hit counter.

    > How expensive are the non free ones?

    Don't pay any money for one. You could write one yourself in about 5
    minutes.

    > Which would be the better ones?

    The one you just wrote.

    BTW hit counters tell you nothing about your viewers.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 4, 2004
  6. Woof

    rf Guest

    brucie
    > In alt.html SpaceGirl said:
    >
    > > Why on earth would anyone want to tell their customers how many people
    > > have visited their site?

    > or not visited

    brucie! You have to start the hit counter at 34325.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 4, 2004
  7. Woof

    PeterL Guest

    Woof wrote:
    > I am making a website for a small business who want me to place a hit
    > counter on their website.
    > Are there any free hit counters?
    > How expensive are the non free ones?
    > Which would be the better ones?
    >
    > Thanks

    There are dozens around I have used those from Bravenet and nedstat.

    As said they are pretty useless and as Brucie points out can show how few
    visitors you have unless you fake the number by using the refresh button.

    Of the two I mentioned the nedstat one is better from an information point
    of view.

    PeterL

    PeterL, Nov 4, 2004
  8. Woof

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html rf said:

    >>> Why on earth would anyone want to tell their customers how many people
    >>> have visited their site?

    >> or not visited

    > brucie! You have to start the hit counter at 34325.

    but... but... but.... thats not honest!

    l i t t l e v o i c e s

    brucie, Nov 4, 2004
  9. Woof

    rf Guest

    PeterL

    [hit counters]

    > Of the two I mentioned the nedstat one is better from an information point
    > of view.

    And what information does it give?

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 4, 2004
  10. Woof

    Woof Guest

    Thanks guys.
    Much appreciated.
    I will pass on your replies to my client and see if he still wants a
    counter.

    Cheers

    Woof, Nov 4, 2004
  11. Woof

    rf Guest

    Woof barked:

    > Thanks guys.
    > Much appreciated.
    > I will pass on your replies to my client and see if he still wants a
    > counter.

    Don't forget to report back to us on your clients decision :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 4, 2004
  12. in alt.html, rf wrote:
    > PeterL
    >
    > [hit counters]
    >
    > > Of the two I mentioned the nedstat one is better from an information point
    > > of view.

    > And what information does it give?

    I like the info about all domains where my visitors have come from. I
    know of course, that it has nothing to do where people live etc. But it
    is nice to see that my site is accessed of about 100 different TLDs.

    Not that any information has any relevant use... Exept that site that is
    updated 3 years ago still has some visitors. (latter url in .sig.)

    Hm. Maybe they are just because my .sig ...

    Lauri Raittila, Nov 4, 2004
  13. Woof

    PeterL Guest

    rf wrote:
    > PeterL
    >
    > [hit counters]
    >
    >> Of the two I mentioned the nedstat one is better from an information
    >> point of view.

    > And what information does it give?

    Have I done something to upset you you always adversely reply to my posts??

    It gives very basic info I admit but my point was that it gives more than
    the Bravenet one.

    If you really need an answer to your question find a site with the counter
    and follow the link. Some like it some don't what odds!!

    PeterL, Nov 4, 2004
  14. Woof

    Mitja Guest

    On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:09:48 +1000, brucie <> wrote:

    >>> or not visited

    >> brucie! You have to start the hit counter at 34325.

    > but... but... but.... thats not honest!

    welcome to the world, sonny

    --
    Mitja

    Mitja, Nov 4, 2004
  15. Woof

    cits Guest

    I have counters on sites but they are just for me. invisible to the
    visitor.

    the OP never let us know if he was intending on displaying the results on
    the web page in question.

    So not a bad idea if you just want an idea of how many visits your site
    receives.

    my counters only count once per browser session and are written in PHP (i
    just find them on web).

    good luck OP

    cits, Nov 4, 2004
  16. Woof

    rf Guest

    PeterL wrote:
    > rf wrote:

    [hit counters]

    > > And what information does it give?

    > Have I done something to upset you you always adversely reply to my

    posts??

    ?

    I am sorry if the above query sounds adverse to you. I am interested, from
    an academic point of view, what the hit counter reports. It might be a
    viable proposition to use said counter where access to the raw logs is not
    available.

    I have some pages hosted by my ISP where I can not access the logs. I have
    occasionally thought about putting a counter on some of them (an invisible
    one BTW).

    In any case Larui provided the information.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 4, 2004
  17. Woof

    Neredbojias Guest

    Without quill or qualm, PeterL quothed:

    > rf wrote:
    > > PeterL
    > >
    > > [hit counters]
    > >
    > >> Of the two I mentioned the nedstat one is better from an information
    > >> point of view.

    > > And what information does it give?

    > Have I done something to upset you you always adversely reply to my posts??

    The label "devil's advocate" is applied to some people but perhaps rf
    *really is* the devil...

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Nov 6, 2004