hit counter

Woof

I am making a website for a small business who want me to place a hit
counter on their website.
Are there any free hit counters?
How expensive are the non free ones?
Which would be the better ones?

Thanks

SpaceGirl

Woof said:
I am making a website for a small business who want me to place a hit
counter on their website.
Are there any free hit counters?
How expensive are the non free ones?
Which would be the better ones?

Thanks

They're a really bad idea. Why on earth would anyone want to tell their
customers how many people have visited their site? That's one bit of
information people DONT need unless you are a system administrator.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

brucie

In alt.html Woof said:
I am making a website for a small business who want me to place a hit
counter on their website.

use your server logs, they're far more accurate however:

Analog 5.32: How the web works
4. What you can't know.
You can't tell the identity of your readers.
You can't tell how many visitors you've had.
You can't tell how many visits you've had.
Cookies don't solve these problems.
You can't follow a person's path through your site.
You often can't tell where they entered your site, or where they found
out about you from.
You can't tell how they left your site, or where they went next.
You can't tell how long people spent reading each page.
You can't tell how long people spent on your site.
http://www.analog.cx/docs/webworks.html

rf

Woof
I am making a website for a small business who want me to place a hit
counter on their website.

Hmmm.

What the spacegirl wrote, plus:
Are there any free hit counters?

Endless. Google for hit counter.
How expensive are the non free ones?

Don't pay any money for one. You could write one yourself in about 5
minutes.
Which would be the better ones?

The one you just wrote.

BTW hit counters tell you nothing about your viewers.

PeterL

Woof said:
I am making a website for a small business who want me to place a hit
counter on their website.
Are there any free hit counters?
How expensive are the non free ones?
Which would be the better ones?

Thanks

There are dozens around I have used those from Bravenet and nedstat.

As said they are pretty useless and as Brucie points out can show how few
visitors you have unless you fake the number by using the refresh button.

Of the two I mentioned the nedstat one is better from an information point
of view.

PeterL

Woof

Thanks guys.
Much appreciated.
I will pass on your replies to my client and see if he still wants a
counter.

Cheers

rf

Woof barked:
Thanks guys.
Much appreciated.
I will pass on your replies to my client and see if he still wants a
counter.

Don't forget to report back to us on your clients decision :)

Lauri Raittila

PeterL

[hit counters]
Of the two I mentioned the nedstat one is better from an information point
of view.

And what information does it give?

I like the info about all domains where my visitors have come from. I
know of course, that it has nothing to do where people live etc. But it
is nice to see that my site is accessed of about 100 different TLDs.

Not that any information has any relevant use... Exept that site that is
updated 3 years ago still has some visitors. (latter url in .sig.)

Hm. Maybe they are just because my .sig ...

PeterL

rf said:
PeterL

[hit counters]
Of the two I mentioned the nedstat one is better from an information
point of view.

And what information does it give?

Have I done something to upset you you always adversely reply to my posts??

It gives very basic info I admit but my point was that it gives more than
the Bravenet one.

If you really need an answer to your question find a site with the counter
and follow the link. Some like it some don't what odds!!

cits

I have counters on sites but they are just for me. invisible to the
visitor.

the OP never let us know if he was intending on displaying the results on
the web page in question.

So not a bad idea if you just want an idea of how many visits your site
receives.

my counters only count once per browser session and are written in PHP (i
just find them on web).

good luck OP

rf

PeterL said:
rf wrote:

[hit counters]
Have I done something to upset you you always adversely reply to my
posts??

?

I am sorry if the above query sounds adverse to you. I am interested, from
an academic point of view, what the hit counter reports. It might be a
viable proposition to use said counter where access to the raw logs is not
available.

I have some pages hosted by my ISP where I can not access the logs. I have
occasionally thought about putting a counter on some of them (an invisible
one BTW).

In any case Larui provided the information.

Neredbojias

Without quill or qualm, PeterL quothed:
rf said:
PeterL

[hit counters]
Of the two I mentioned the nedstat one is better from an information
point of view.

And what information does it give?

Have I done something to upset you you always adversely reply to my posts??

The label "devil's advocate" is applied to some people but perhaps rf
*really is* the devil...