Hope for your project - a little off topic.

woodbrian77

Is your C++ project on the ropes? I'm willing to donate
15 hours a week for up to six months on a project that
uses the C++ Middleware Writer (CMW). The CMW is an on
line code generator that writes low-level C++ marshalling
code based on high-level user input. The CMW is an
increasingly robust producer of concrete code. I'm
borrowing the term "concrete code" from www.springfuse.com.
They claim that "Developers learn faster and better with
concrete code."

Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises - So far G-d has helped us.
http://webEbenezer.net

woodbrian77

Also I'll pay someone $100 cash and give them a $200
investment in my company if they help me find someone
to work with. The company rewards investments to 3
times their original amount. So you would receive
anywhere from $0 to $600 on the investment part,
depending on how things go for the company. I'll pay
the $100 cash after working with whomever it is for 4
months.

woodbrian77

Also I'll pay someone $100 cash and give them a $200
investment in my company if they help me find someone
to work with. The company rewards investments to 3
times their original amount. So you would receive
anywhere from $0 to $600 on the investment part,
depending on how things go for the company. I'll pay
the $100 cash after working with whomever it is for 4
months.

I'm happy to announce an increase here.

I'll pay $300 cash and give a $300 investment in my
company.

Öö Tiib

Another increase:
$500 cash and a $1,000 investment in my company.

Might be more fruitful to try finding business partners from
game developer communities. There may be someone interested
in unorthodox communication/serialization modules/servers.
Rest of the projects are mostly using relatively standardized
solutions these days.

woodbrian77

Might be more fruitful to try finding business partners from
game developer communities. There may be someone interested
in unorthodox communication/serialization modules/servers.
Rest of the projects are mostly using relatively standardized
solutions these days.

I think some of those "standardized solutions" aren't
being well maintained.

Do you know of a bank that doesn't offer on line banking?
I'm thinking of the sapling on the cover of "The Design
and Evolution of C++". I'm doing what I can to prepare
for the future. Consider also springfuse.com. They also
are investing in on line code generation.

Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises

Öö Tiib

I think some of those "standardized solutions" aren't
being well maintained.

May well be. Your idea is to take over that maintenance
of some standardised solutions?
Do you know of a bank that doesn't offer on line banking?

No. All banks I know offer such services over https in web
browser. None of banks offers code generation services
and your CMW does not sound like web application
framework so what part of it is relevant to banks?
I'm thinking of the sapling on the cover of "The Design
and Evolution of C++". I'm doing what I can to prepare
for the future. Consider also springfuse.com. They also
are investing in on line code generation.

Yes, good idea to generate code with code generator (instead
of for example C++ template metaprogramming or C
preprocessor metaprogramming) and good idea to do it
online.

However ... the main question feels to be not *how* to
generate CMW code but *why* to generate CMW code?

woodbrian77

May well be. Your idea is to take over that maintenance
of some standardised solutions?
No.

No. All banks I know offer such services over https in web
browser. None of banks offers code generation services
and your CMW does not sound like web application
framework so what part of it is relevant to banks?

Yes, good idea to generate code with code generator (instead
of for example C++ template metaprogramming or C
preprocessor metaprogramming) and good idea to do it
online.

However ... the main question feels to be not *how* to
generate CMW code but *why* to generate CMW code?

I'm not opposed to supporting a text/json format, but
have to stick to what I have for now. Games and scientific
applications are areas where binary protocols are used.

One thing CMW does is automate the creation of marshalling
functions.

With the on line aspect, it's easier to get fixes out.
The amount of code that has to be downloaded and built
with the on line approach is much less than with older
approach.

As you mention existing apps have made their decisions.
They would be hard to convert at this point (but maybe
not in the future.) In the meantime there are new apps
being written. If someone has a good idea they may
start to pursue it and decide they need some help to
make progress with it.

Öö Tiib

I'm not opposed to supporting a text/json format, but
have to stick to what I have for now. Games and scientific
applications are areas where binary protocols are used.

There are lot of other areas that use binary formats ... but
these formats are commonly standardised as well. So the
question is why to choose that custom binary format.
One thing CMW does is automate the creation of marshalling
functions.

I already classified it as "good idea" about *how*.
With the on line aspect, it's easier to get fixes out.
The amount of code that has to be downloaded and built
with the on line approach is much less than with older
approach.

I already classified it as "good idea" about *how*.
As you mention existing apps have made their decisions.
They would be hard to convert at this point (but maybe
not in the future.)

I see no answer to *why* they decide to migrate to CMW.
In the meantime there are new apps
being written. If someone has a good idea they may
start to pursue it and decide they need some help to
make progress with it.

That is the question. Why CMW? Existing standardised
protocols have more tools (besides code generators/
libraries) that support them.

For example there is Wireshark. It sort of "understands"
such protocols: http://wiki.wireshark.org/ProtocolReference
If in some phase of production it is needed to monitor
traffic of packets, then it is cheaper to pick protocol
that Wireshark can monitor. Isn't it?

woodbrian77

On Wednesday, 18 December 2013 17:22:44 UTC+2, (e-mail address removed) wrote:

I see no answer to *why* they decide to migrate to CMW.

I mentioned new projects that wouldn't be migrating
from anything.
That is the question. Why CMW? Existing standardised
protocols have more tools (besides code generators/
libraries) that support them.

People need tools to outlast their projects. Ebenezer
Enterprises has a business model to make it strong.
Southwest Airlines has a saying that their fares are
only available on their website. I think they get
hotel and car rental companies to pay them to be
listed on their website. In the same way, CMW code
is only available on my website. If you want longevity,
good maintenance, and free services, that sort of
model is important.

Remember the title of this thread. I'm reaching out
to someone who needs help with their project. If
someone refers themselves for this, they'll get $500
cash, $1,000 investment in the company, and 15 hrs/week
for six months of help on their project. For a small
company that's a lot of help.
For example there is Wireshark. It sort of "understands"
such protocols: http://wiki.wireshark.org/ProtocolReference
If in some phase of production it is needed to monitor
traffic of packets, then it is cheaper to pick protocol
that Wireshark can monitor. Isn't it?

I didn't see anything about the serialization library in Boost,
S11n, or Protocol Buffers there. I'm not advocating a secret
protocol or anything like that.

Brian

Alf P. Steinbach

Also I'll pay someone $100 cash and give them a $200
investment in my company if they help me find someone
to work with. The company rewards investments to 3
times their original amount. So you would receive
anywhere from $0 to $600 on the investment part,
depending on how things go for the company. I'll pay
the $100 cash after working with whomever it is for 4
months.

I don't think this plea is a good way to get contracts. It sounds
desperate. And that in turn yields an impression of a failing business,
which in turn implies something (software? service? contracts?) ungood
somewhere.

Without claiming a high success rate for dating women (I've only done
that once, and she was a good friend of mine) from what I've been able
to glean from others' tales, a sure-fire way to NOT succeed is to appear
desperate. Appearance is, apparently, very very important to avoid being
summarily dismissed in microseconds. And after appearance, for the
tentative evaluation, reality must not diverge too much.

So, to repeat: the /appearance/ the plea gives, is desperation, which is
a turn-off signal.

As I understand it you're developing and offering infra-structure -- a
middle-ware serialization solution.

First, in any attempt to solicit interest or contracts, do mention your
website, <url: http://webebenezer.net/>. And make it a bit more
good-looking and functional. Not just the bare facts.

If you don't mention the site, then people might confuse your company
with Ebenezer Enterprise in Mumbai, who evidently do catering services
and such around the world (they come on top in a google search).

Do also mention your product.

And describe it more fully on the web site.

I would suggest that you emphasize what's different from Boost
serialization.

You might also consider changing the name of the company to something
more unique and descriptive, e.g. Ebenezer Serialization. Like, why not
be up-front about what the company has to offer. That's after all what
customers are interested in.

That said, I would have liked to offer advice and knowledge about venues
and ways to get contracts, but I have no such to offer. Maybe it's
possible to advertize? Maybe -- via Google?

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf (off-topic mode)

woodbrian77

On 20/12/2013 23:36, (e-mail address removed) wrote:

I also suspect "Ebenezer Enterprises" is a shed or
bedroom based hobby project.

Dell started in his dorm room and many others in a
garage so, yeah.
Longevity? What happens if you get run over by a bus tomorrow?

Are you familiar Elijah and Elisha?

And it came about when the L-rd was about to take up
Elijah by a whirlwind to heaven, that Elijah went with
Elisha from Gilgal. Elijah said to Elisha, “Stay here
please, for the L-rd has sent me as far as Bethel.”
But Elisha said, “As the L-rd lives and as you yourself
live, I will not leave you.” So they went down to Bethel.
Then the sons of the prophets who were at Bethel came
out to Elisha and said to him, “Do you know that the
L-rd will take away your master from over you today?”
And he said, “Yes, I know; be still.”

Elijah said to him, “Elisha, please stay here, for the
L-rd has sent me to Jericho.” But he said, “As the L-rd
lives, and as you yourself live, I will not leave you.”
So they came to Jericho. The sons of the prophets who
were at Jericho approached Elisha and said to him, “Do
you know that the L-rd will take away your master from
over you today?” And he answered, “Yes, I know; be still.”
Then Elijah said to him, “Please stay here, for the L-rd
has sent me to the Jordan.” And he said, “As the L-rd
lives, and as you yourself live, I will not leave you.”
So the two of them went on.

Now fifty men of the sons of the prophets went and stood
opposite them at a distance, while the two of them stood
by the Jordan. Elijah took his mantle and folded it together
and struck the waters, and they were divided here and there,
so that the two of them crossed over on dry ground.

When they had crossed over, Elijah said to Elisha, “Ask what
I shall do for you before I am taken from you.” And Elisha
said, “Please, let a double portion of your spirit be upon
me.” He said, “You have asked a hard thing. Nevertheless,
if you see me when I am taken from you, it shall be so for
you; but if not, it shall not be so.” As they were going
along and talking, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire
and horses of fire which separated the two of them. And
Elijah went up by a whirlwind to heaven. Elisha saw it and
cried out, “My father, my father, the chariots of Israel and
its horsemen!” And he saw Elijah no more. Then he took hold
of his own clothes and tore them in two pieces. He also
took up the mantle of Elijah that fell from him and returned
and stood by the bank of the Jordan. He took the mantle of
Elijah that fell from him and struck the waters and said,
“Where is the L-rd, the G-d of Elijah?” And when he also had
struck the waters, they were divided here and there; and
Elisha crossed over.

Elijah trained Elisha for about ten years to take his place.
If need be G-d will have me do something similar.

Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises
http://webEbenezer.net

Daniel

Are you familiar Elijah and Elisha?

If I could offer a cautionary note to Mr Flibble, the text continues:

And he [Elisha] went up from thence unto Beth-el; and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him: 'Go up, thou baldhead; go up, thou baldhead.'

And he looked behind him and saw them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she-bears out of the wood, and tore forty and two children of them.

Be well,
Daniel

Daniel

One nutter joining in with another nutter. There is no God, fruitloops ...

Sigh, it seems my little joke was sown on rocky places, where it grew not ...

Daniel

J. Clarke

I didn't read it to the end as as soon as I see anything resembling
scripture I switch off.

In any case, any business plan that depends on divine intervention is a
Bad Plan.

Daniel

I didn't read it to the end as as soon as I see anything resembling
scripture I switch off.
It is not so different, reading the texts and reading the standard, the authors
of both knew what they were doing. You can think of the 4th century First Council of Nicaea as an early standardization effort.

Daniel

woodbrian77

I don't think this plea is a good way to get contracts. It sounds
desperate. And that in turn yields an impression of a failing business,
which in turn implies something (software? service? contracts?) ungood
somewhere.

Without claiming a high success rate for dating women (I've only done
that once, and she was a good friend of mine) from what I've been able
to glean from others' tales, a sure-fire way to NOT succeed is to appear
desperate. Appearance is, apparently, very very important to avoid being
summarily dismissed in microseconds. And after appearance, for the
tentative evaluation, reality must not diverge too much.

So, to repeat: the /appearance/ the plea gives, is desperation, which is
a turn-off signal.

I believe the quality of the service and software is high
and by finding more users I'll be able to make the quality
even higher. Obamacare has spent over 1 billion on website
and the site was down this past Friday for 3 hours. It's
possible to build much better site than Obamacare for much
less money.

Paying for references is not something I invented. From
what I understand recruiters pay much more than my offer.

As I understand it you're developing and offering infra-structure -- a
middle-ware serialization solution.

First, in any attempt to solicit interest or contracts, do mention your
website, <url: http://webebenezer.net/>. And make it a bit more
good-looking and functional. Not just the bare facts.

Agreed, but don't promise any dates on that.
If you don't mention the site, then people might confuse your company
with Ebenezer Enterprise in Mumbai, who evidently do catering services
and such around the world (they come on top in a google search).

Do also mention your product.

And describe it more fully on the web site.

I agree with this, but have other priorities that
mean I don't get to this yet.

I would suggest that you emphasize what's different from Boost
serialization.

You might also consider changing the name of the company to something
more unique and descriptive, e.g. Ebenezer Serialization. Like, why not
be up-front about what the company has to offer. That's after all what
customers are interested in.

That said, I would have liked to offer advice and knowledge about venues
and ways to get contracts, but I have no such to offer. Maybe it's
possible to advertize? Maybe -- via Google?

I like https://duckduckgo.com for searching.
They don't track you like Google and some of the others do.
I did advertise a few years ago with some free advertising
that Google was giving away. Were they desperate? I
guess, but it doesn't really matter to me.
Perhaps others took advantage of Google's advertising
giveaway and can bear witness to the veracity of my claim.

David Brown

I didn't read it to the end as as soon as I see anything resembling
scripture I switch off.

/Flibble

I recommend you re-read Daniel's post - I thought the joke was quite clever.

woodbrian77

If I could offer a cautionary note to Mr Flibble, the text continues:

And he [Elisha] went up from thence unto Beth-el; and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him: 'Go up, thou baldhead; go up, thou baldhead.'

I'm not sure of the age of those who were mauled by the
bears, but think they may have been immature people.
Elisha may have also been reckless with his new power.
After witnessing something amazing, he got carried away
so to speak.

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/111915/jewish/Elijah-And-Elisha.htm