    What are the features we need to have to beat it?

    thanks
    from Peter ()

    Peter, Oct 16, 2004

  2. Andrew Thompson, Oct 16, 2004

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Andrew Thompson <> wrote in message news:<1qu9397fvxn3s$>...
    > On 16 Oct 2004 07:19:06 -0700, Peter wrote:
    >
    > > The visual studio 2005 will build in a cvs called "team system".
    > > What are the features we need to have to beat it?

    > (shrugs) A big stick? Not using it?
    > Does this have anything to do with Java?

    yes, seem nobody is going to use java to beat it

    Peter, Oct 17, 2004
  4. Peter wrote:

    > The visual studio 2005 will build in a cvs called "team system".
    > What are the features we need to have to beat it?

    Maybe your question would have been more relevant in c.l.j.softwaretools
    or maybe I do not understand the question.

    What's to beat?

    I know the NetBeans IDE (free) integrates with the most common source
    control systems, I believe JBuilder (Borland) does the same.
    I suspect Eclipse also does.
    Etc. ad nauseam.

    What specific features of studio 2005 are not already present in the
    most common Java IDEs?

    Thomas Schodt, Oct 17, 2004
  5. In article <>,
    (Peter) wrote:

    > Andrew Thompson <> wrote in message
    > > On 16 Oct 2004 07:19:06 -0700, Peter wrote:
    > >
    > > > The visual studio 2005 will build in a cvs called "team system".
    > > > What are the features we need to have to beat it?

    > > (shrugs) A big stick? Not using it?
    > > Does this have anything to do with Java?

    > yes, seem nobody is going to use java to beat it

    I prefer to use a stick or sock filled with oranges to beat things.
    Beating things with Java gets coffee all over.

    Seriously, though, your question is ill phrased.

    When you say "we need to have to to beat it", what do you mean by "beat
    it", and who is "we". I am not being facetious - the intended audience
    and the intended result changes what you need to do.

    If "we" consists of java utility vendors, many of them already have
    created features to beat this. I suspect that JetBrains, for one,
    considers their local history feature more effective than what I have
    heard is coming.

    If "we" is the user community, well, we need to vote with our feet. If
    our tools do not have an equivalent feature, and we think it will
    matter, then tell the vendors. Demand the goodies that will help you
    the best. Also consider what you really need - a local subversion
    repository beats damn near every local history system I have seen, as
    long as I am only working locally. Local history features get really
    useful, though, if I am working out of a remote repository.

    Scott

    Scott Ellsworth, Oct 18, 2004