How do I debug apsx pages?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by David Thielen, Apr 9, 2006.

  1. Hi;

    I'm sure it's a simple answer but I can't find it. How do I debug an aspx
    file? Is there some way to step through the processing of it?

    --
    thanks - dave
    david_at_windward_dot_net
    http://www.windwardreports.com
     
    David Thielen, Apr 9, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Hi dave,

    Thanks for your post!

    I am not sure what code in aspx page you wanted to debug.

    For server-side Asp.net code, we can just place break-point in the aspx
    page, VS.net debugger will recognize this and stop in the aspx code.

    Regarding client javascript code in aspx page, we should do some
    configuration in the browser, the KB below documented the detailed steps:
    "How to debug client-side script in Visual §³# .NET or in Visual C# 2005"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816173/en-us

    Hope this helps!

    Best regards,
    Jeffrey Tan
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    ==================================================
    When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
    that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    ==================================================
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
     
    Jeffrey Tan[MSFT], Apr 10, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Hi;

    An example would be this:
    <td><%# Eval("Vendor") %></td>

    What if it displays nothing and I think it should have a value? How can I
    step through the evaluation it makes to get the value for this cell?

    --
    thanks - dave
    david_at_windward_dot_net
    http://www.windwardreports.com



    ""Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]"" wrote:

    > Hi dave,
    >
    > Thanks for your post!
    >
    > I am not sure what code in aspx page you wanted to debug.
    >
    > For server-side Asp.net code, we can just place break-point in the aspx
    > page, VS.net debugger will recognize this and stop in the aspx code.
    >
    > Regarding client javascript code in aspx page, we should do some
    > configuration in the browser, the KB below documented the detailed steps:
    > "How to debug client-side script in Visual §³# .NET or in Visual C# 2005"
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816173/en-us
    >
    > Hope this helps!
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Jeffrey Tan
    > Microsoft Online Community Support
    > ==================================================
    > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
    > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    > ==================================================
    > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    >
    >
     
    David Thielen, Apr 10, 2006
    #3
  4. I would setup a temporary method consuming the databinding event where you
    can use the Trace.Write method to echo the values retrieved in the dataitem
    object exposed by the eventargs parameter that is passed to that method.
    (You need to set Trace="true" on the page directive)
    --
    HTH,
    Phillip Williams
    http://www.societopia.net
    http://www.webswapp.com


    "David Thielen" wrote:

    > Hi;
    >
    > An example would be this:
    > <td><%# Eval("Vendor") %></td>
    >
    > What if it displays nothing and I think it should have a value? How can I
    > step through the evaluation it makes to get the value for this cell?
    >
    > --
    > thanks - dave
    > david_at_windward_dot_net
    > http://www.windwardreports.com
    >
    >
    >
    > ""Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]"" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi dave,
    > >
    > > Thanks for your post!
    > >
    > > I am not sure what code in aspx page you wanted to debug.
    > >
    > > For server-side Asp.net code, we can just place break-point in the aspx
    > > page, VS.net debugger will recognize this and stop in the aspx code.
    > >
    > > Regarding client javascript code in aspx page, we should do some
    > > configuration in the browser, the KB below documented the detailed steps:
    > > "How to debug client-side script in Visual §³# .NET or in Visual C# 2005"
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816173/en-us
    > >
    > > Hope this helps!
    > >
    > > Best regards,
    > > Jeffrey Tan
    > > Microsoft Online Community Support
    > > ==================================================
    > > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
    > > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    > > ==================================================
    > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    > >
    > >
     
    Phillip Williams, Apr 10, 2006
    #4
  5. Trace=true is what I was looking for - this is very useful - I didn't know
    about it.

    --
    thanks - dave
    david_at_windward_dot_net
    http://www.windwardreports.com



    "Phillip Williams" wrote:

    > I would setup a temporary method consuming the databinding event where you
    > can use the Trace.Write method to echo the values retrieved in the dataitem
    > object exposed by the eventargs parameter that is passed to that method.
    > (You need to set Trace="true" on the page directive)
    > --
    > HTH,
    > Phillip Williams
    > http://www.societopia.net
    > http://www.webswapp.com
    >
    >
    > "David Thielen" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi;
    > >
    > > An example would be this:
    > > <td><%# Eval("Vendor") %></td>
    > >
    > > What if it displays nothing and I think it should have a value? How can I
    > > step through the evaluation it makes to get the value for this cell?
    > >
    > > --
    > > thanks - dave
    > > david_at_windward_dot_net
    > > http://www.windwardreports.com
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > ""Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]"" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi dave,
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for your post!
    > > >
    > > > I am not sure what code in aspx page you wanted to debug.
    > > >
    > > > For server-side Asp.net code, we can just place break-point in the aspx
    > > > page, VS.net debugger will recognize this and stop in the aspx code.
    > > >
    > > > Regarding client javascript code in aspx page, we should do some
    > > > configuration in the browser, the KB below documented the detailed steps:
    > > > "How to debug client-side script in Visual §³# .NET or in Visual C# 2005"
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816173/en-us
    > > >
    > > > Hope this helps!
    > > >
    > > > Best regards,
    > > > Jeffrey Tan
    > > > Microsoft Online Community Support
    > > > ==================================================
    > > > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
    > > > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    > > > ==================================================
    > > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    > > >
    > > >
     
    David Thielen, Apr 10, 2006
    #5
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. whidy
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    728
    Xavier MT
    Aug 19, 2003
  2. Tom Wisnowski

    IDE is unable to display my apsx page

    Tom Wisnowski, Oct 20, 2003, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    415
    Tom Wisnowski
    Oct 20, 2003
  3. Leon
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    369
  4. Guest
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    723
    Guest
    Feb 2, 2004
  5. Guest
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    631
    Guest
    Feb 9, 2004
  6. Hong Hao

    A bug in apsx client-side validation?

    Hong Hao, Nov 8, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    4,787
    Hans Kesting
    Nov 8, 2005
  7. Edwin Knoppert

    urlMappings all folders must use default.apsx

    Edwin Knoppert, Sep 5, 2006, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    599
    Edwin Knoppert
    Sep 5, 2006
  8. Edwin Knoppert
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    585
    Laurent Bugnion
    Sep 5, 2006
Loading...