How do I get IDLE on Suse Linux 9.x?

michael

Hi.

I am reasonably experienced with Python (and love it!) on Windows. I am a
programmer that toils in c++ on Win 32 mostly but just to learn more, I am
playing with Suse 9. Linux.

Of course the first thing I tried to fire up was Python. From the command
line, I can access Python 2.3 with no problem.

I tried to run / search for IDLE which I thought was a standard install on
any python installation but it is not present.

My question is this: Should I just use a text editor and go without IDLE? Is
there another IDE standard on Linux? Do I need to download something to get
IDLE?

Sorry to ask such a basic question.

Michael

Siegfried Gonzi

michael said:
Hi.

I am reasonably experienced with Python (and love it!) on Windows. I am a
programmer that toils in c++ on Win 32 mostly but just to learn more, I am
playing with Suse 9. Linux.

Of course the first thing I tried to fire up was Python. From the command
line, I can access Python 2.3 with no problem.

I tried to run / search for IDLE which I thought was a standard install on
any python installation but it is not present.

My question is this: Should I just use a text editor and go without IDLE? Is
there another IDE standard on Linux? Do I need to download something to get
IDLE?

As far as I remember (I do not use Python any longer) you can do the following:

Get "ActiveState Python":

www.activestate.com/Python.plex

I once faced the same problem with SuSE Linux 8.0. I had bad luck because I had
installed the "normal" SuSE version only. I think in order to get idle running
you need professional SuSE Linux (for all the header files).

Fensterbrett

Markus Bertheau

В Втр, 10.08.2004, в 12:44, michael пишет:
My question is this: Should I just use a text editor and go without IDLE? Is
there another IDE standard on Linux? Do I need to download something to get
IDLE?

On Fedora I can start IDLE with

python /usr/lib/python2.3/idlelib/idle.pyw

Sibylle Koczian

michael said:
Hi.

I am reasonably experienced with Python (and love it!) on Windows. I am a
programmer that toils in c++ on Win 32 mostly but just to learn more, I am
playing with Suse 9. Linux.

Of course the first thing I tried to fire up was Python. From the command
line, I can access Python 2.3 with no problem.

I tried to run / search for IDLE which I thought was a standard install on
any python installation but it is not present.
Did you check with Yast2 or with the rpm command? If you've got SuSE 9.1
in the professional version I can tell you for sure IDLE is on the CD
but you might not have installed it. It's got its own package. I can't
really think it's missing from 9.0. And with the personal version you
probably wouldn't have Python either (that comes without a C compiler,
even).

I'm not within reach of my Linux box at the moment so I can't tell you
the exact package name or things like that. But I'm a Linux newbie
myself and I found it without problems so it must have been quite easy.
My question is this: Should I just use a text editor and go without IDLE? Is
there another IDE standard on Linux? Do I need to download something to get
IDLE?
Most probably no to all three. If you don't find it using Yast2 or rpm,
come back and I'll look for details in my installation.

HTH
Koczian

BBands

Sorry to ask such a basic question.

Michael

IDLE is a separate package on SuSE 9.1. Fire up YaST, click on
'install and remove software,' search for idle, check it, click
accept... and away you go.

--jab

Hamilcar Barca

I tried to run / search for IDLE which I thought was a standard install on
any python installation but it is not present.

Under Debian Linux, the standard Python distribution is broken up into
several packages -- which I found very confusing at first). Debian
has an "idle-python2.3" package.
My question is this: Should I just use a text editor and go without IDLE?

I've installed IDLE but never used it.
Is there another IDE standard on Linux?

You mean besides Emacs?
Do I need to download something to get IDLE?

I don't know SuSE but you do to use the standard Debian distributions of
Python.