How do I get the SGI specific modules to compile?

Bruce D. Ray

The python README states:

On SGI IRIX, there are modules that interface to many
SGI specific system libraries, e.g. the GL library and
the audio hardware. These modules will not be built
by the setup.py script.

I have an SGI running Irix 6.5.17 with MIPSpro 7.3 compiler
and would like to build these modules. I have used the
search at python.org, and I have searched the archives of
this news group and of comp.sys.sgi.* I have not found
an explanation of how to do this in any of these. The
closest I came was a recipe for python 1.5.* that suggested
I build and install python without these modules, set my
python path to that installed python, uncomment the lines
in Modules/Setup that referred to these SGI specific modules,
and do another make. I tried this and it failed with error
messages about too many arguments and a don't know how to
make glmodule.c

Therefore, how do I get these to compile?