how do I point the root to be a sub web

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Nalaka,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
From your description, you have a certain asp.net web application which is
deployed under a sub virtual dir under the webserver's default site. And
you're wondering how to make your subsite be accessible through your root
site's url?

If so, I'm wondering how do you distinguish the content in your subweb
folder and your root webfolder(under site root)? Generally, if we're
wantting our web application be configured as a certain website's root, we
can point our site's root home directory to that web application's physical
dir. That means our web application's folde become the site root's physical
dir. What's your detailed site structure currently? Is it ok that you
directly put your web application's pages and components under the site
root?

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Nalaka" <[email protected]>
| Subject: how do I point the root to be a sub web
| Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:07:49 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi,
|
| I have an asp.net web application (www.myWebSite), and a subweb
application
| (www.myWebSite/subSite).
|
| How do I set it so that, subweb application (www.myWebSite/subSite) be
the
| root application.....
| so that, when a user types www.myWebSite/subSite, it actualy, shows pages
| off subweb.
|
| any help is much appreciated.....
|
| Thanks
| Nalaka

Nalaka

Hi Steven,

What I have is a test system of various environments as subwebs of root.
I need the ability to switch between these frequently, so, user does not
know the difference.

Plus... it is easier to treat all webs as subwebs...
If not, root can see all the subweb folders and is confucing when coping
files up and down.

We just want one mechanism to manage code too......

So, if there is a configuration file to redeirect to a given subweb (when
calling root), would be the best

I am on a asp 2.0 site.

Thanks
Nalaka

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Nalaka,

Thanks for your followup.
So you current requirement is buiding a test sytem for running ASP.NET web
applications under IIS default site(root), and could easily swtich the site
root application between many existing application folders, yes?

If you need to use the IIS to host the ASP.NET application for testing, I'm
afraid the only means I've considered is make a simple utility which can
programmatically change the IIS default site's home directory (through ADSI
object model), so that when you want to configure a certain sub folder as
the root application, just change the IIS's site's home directory to that
folder's physical path.

Also, I'm not sure whether you've ever use the .NET managed asp;.net
webserver cassini simple server:

http://www.asp.net/Projects/Cassini/Download/Default.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1

this is a purely .net based simple webserver which can host asp.net web
application without IIS. If your test scenario is not very complex( doesn't
require IIS's powerful HTTP implementation or authentication support), you
can consider use the Cassini server to test your web application, it can
start listening on a specific local port and specify a certain physical
path as the web application root.

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Nalaka" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: how do I point the root to be a sub web
| Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 08:30:56 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi Steven,
|
| What I have is a test system of various environments as subwebs of root.
| I need the ability to switch between these frequently, so, user does not
| know the difference.
|
| Plus... it is easier to treat all webs as subwebs...
| If not, root can see all the subweb folders and is confucing when coping
| files up and down.
|
| We just want one mechanism to manage code too......
|
| So, if there is a configuration file to redeirect to a given subweb (when
| calling root), would be the best
|
| I am on a asp 2.0 site.
|

| Thanks
| Nalaka
|

| | > Hi Nalaka,
| >
| > Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
| > From your description, you have a certain asp.net web application which
is
| > deployed under a sub virtual dir under the webserver's default site. And
| > you're wondering how to make your subsite be accessible through your
root
| > site's url?
| >
| > If so, I'm wondering how do you distinguish the content in your subweb
| > folder and your root webfolder(under site root)? Generally, if we're
| > wantting our web application be configured as a certain website's root,
we
| > can point our site's root home directory to that web application's
| > physical
| > dir. That means our web application's folde become the site root's
| > physical
| > dir. What's your detailed site structure currently? Is it ok that you
| > directly put your web application's pages and components under the site
| > root?
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support