How do I use copy web site

Tony Johansson

I use the visual studio 2005 development server so the File system is used.
My web site is located in F:/MyTest
I have added a virtual directory called MT that points to the physical
directory F:/MyTest
So I can start the web site from the brower when I enter
http://localhost/MT/Startpage.aspx
This works perfect.

If I for example want to use the copy web site to copy my web site to a
production directory so to speak.
Can somebody tell me how I do this.
I have read the documentation but does not understand what they mean.
For example should I use the File system or local IIS

//Tony

Scott M.

You can simply move the files to their production location using any FTP
software or you can use the built in "Copy Web Site" feature from the button
in the Visual Studio Solution Explorer window.

-Scott

Tony Johansson

Hello

If I want to create a web site(Local IIS) is it any easier way then use
Visual Studio

//Tony

Scott M.

Sure, as has been reported to you earlier, just make a virtual directory in
IIS and copy the files to that folder, then access the files via
http://localhost/newFolderName.

This really isn't a .NET or Visual Studio issue, it's just a matter of
having your web server (IIS) set up and moving the files into position.

-Scott

Gregory A. Beamer

If I for example want to use the copy web site to copy my web site to a
production directory so to speak.
Can somebody tell me how I do this.
I have read the documentation but does not understand what they mean.
For example should I use the File system or local IIS

There is no single clear answer here. One way of doing things.

1. Open web server staging directory in windows explorer
2. Copy entire web content published
3. Remote into web server
4. Test in staging directory
5. Copy to production

Many environments (or network admins) will not allow you to do the remote
in steps, so someone else will have to accomplish this if you go this
route.

A variation I have seen.

Use FTP or IIS publish to publish to a staging directory (or instance) of
the site and test. Site is then pushed to production.

There is the web deployment wizard option, which packages up what you need
to deploy to production. But this option means you create a staging version
of the deployment and a production version, as they are using different
databases (they are, right?).

In most cases, the site definition needs to already be set up in IIS prior
to a publish. you can, technically, use the publish feature in VS to
publish to the IIS directory.

Hope this helps conquer the dragon.

Peace and Grace,

--
Gregory A. Beamer (MVP)

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |

Gregory A. Beamer

If I want to create a web site(Local IIS) is it any easier way then
use Visual Studio

Just create the site in IIS.

If the site is already created, open the IIS manager and create a new
virtual directory pointing to the directory you create the file based
web in. You then have to make sure security is sset up with Windows
Integrated, as some versions of IIS turn this off and the site pukes.
The next step is close the file based web in VS and open the one in IIS.
It is the same site, but it is now being served by IIS.

Peace and Grace,

--
Gregory A. Beamer (MVP)

Twitter: @gbworld