How do they search ?

Roedy Green

you are mistaken sir. all, i told in my posts was my findings. did not
i mention my doubts in points ? i saw the link you provided and
become confused and mentioned doubts in my posts.

You are a newbie. Everyone was one at one time. There is no shame in
that or not understanding the answers given. However, your responses
implied you were sure the people trying to explain things to you did
not know what they were talking about, rather than you did not
understand. That gets people's backs up, especially mine.

In particular I repeatedly asked you to download and use a newsreader.
I pointed you to places you could do that and read about the various
choices. You refused to do that and instead complained my advice
would not work. How could you possibly know that without following
it?

There is some small obligation when you ask advice that you pay
attention to it. Instead, you publicly spat on it.

In face to face communication you would not ask a stranger for a gift
then stomp on it. To do so shows contempt.

gk

hi i downloaded newsreader tool . its forte agent 3.11

i am about to configure it.

i have some query about how to configure it.

what i should fill up in the configauration :

News Server : // what i should put here ?

should i try ?

a)groups.google.com
b)http://www.groups.com
c)http://www.groups.google.co.in

which one is correct? or what is the url i should type on ?

will you please tell me what i should put in the config field of "News
Server" ?

they are also demanding a user id and password for connecting to "News
server"
what i should put here ?
should i use my gmail user id and password here ?

they have a Mail-Server field too

MAIL SERVER : // what i should put here ?

user id : //what i should put here ?
password: //what i should put here ?

should i use my gmail user id and password here ?

And at last they have asked for an email address .
i guess i should use my gmail id here .

Regards

[...]

Dag Sunde

gk said:
hi i downloaded newsreader tool . its forte agent 3.11

i am about to configure it.

i have some query about how to configure it.

what i should fill up in the configauration :

News Server : // what i should put here ?

should i try ?

a)groups.google.com
b)http://www.groups.com
c)http://www.groups.google.co.in

which one is correct? or what is the url i should type on ?

None of them...

You probably have an internet service provider (ISP) that you pay
to get access to the internet. (Either Dial-up, ADSL, broadband, etc.)
So for the name of the news-server, try "news.yourISPdomain.com"

The same ISP once gave you a username and password to access their services
use those...

<snipped/>

Roedy Green

they are also demanding a user id and password for connecting to "News
server"
what i should put here ?

Some newsservers demand you pay to use them. Then you will be assigned
a user id and password. Normally you get a news server bundled with
your monthly ISP. Try leaving them out. If you can't connect, read up
on the ISP site. likely it will be the same userid/password you use
for other isp functions like mail or configuration.

Roedy Green

they have a Mail-Server field too

MAIL SERVER : // what i should put here ?

Look in you email program, the one you use to retrieve your
(e-mail address removed). it will likely be something like mail.qmail.com
If qmail is a web mail system that you access with a browser, you
can't us Agent email. It requires a SMTP/POP3 style email account.

I don't use the email side of Agent at all. I use Eudora for all my
mail, so you can just leave that out.

Roedy Green

user id : //what i should put here ?
password: //what i should put here ?

same as you would for setting up Eudora or Outlook.
as I said earlier, you can leave that out.

Roedy Green

And at last they have asked for an email address .
i guess i should use my gmail id here .

Yes. You note I don't use my real address. I use a munged one. The
problem with posting your address is the spam harvester get it and
eventually you get so much spam you have to get a new account.

The catch is, if you don't give your address, people can't email you
without great inconvenience. (which is the intent to discourage spam
harvesters) See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/mung.html
for details on munging techniques.

Hang in there. This seems like a pain in the ass now, but soon you
will get the hang of things and you will have a much easier time
tracking threads.

You have one big advantage I did not have -- we now have a working
configured system for you to model.

gk

So for the name of the news-server, try "news.yourISPdomain.com"

i use AirTel mobile service in india.
The same ISP once gave you a username and password to access their services
use those...

i dont use userid and password. i keep them blank. it is a GPRS
connection.

The customer care guys are really hopeless.

Roedy Green

i also checked site "http://www.muenz.com/" but i did not found any
public server which route google newsserver.

Google has nothing to do with newservers. Newsservers are whole
different way to get your news. What you want is a free server than
will serve you comp.lang.java.programmer and comp.lang.java.help

There are lots of free newsservers that will do that.

Pick one close to you.

Roedy Green

i use AirTel mobile service in india.

I looked for airtel.com and it took me to a spanish vodaphone site
with just a touch of English and no sign of technical docs. Is that
were you go for your mail and interactions with the ISP?

What are you typing on? a laptop, desktop, handheld, Windows? You
have some sort of wireless connection? What program do you use to pick
up your mail? IE? Outlook, Eudora?

Boy have things changed since I was last in Bombay. We had only a TTY
in a hotel down the street for communication. A messenger would run
back and forth with hand-written messages.

I had this Wipro XT computer from hell with mixed 220 and 120V that
kept giving me whacking great shocks.

Andrew Thompson

Roedy Green wrote:
I had this Wipro XT computer from hell with mixed 220 and 120V that
kept giving me whacking great shocks.

LOL! And I always thought of IT as a field relatively
immune to workplace dangers. ..but 'mains power'
shocks through the primary tool of trade? (cringe, shudder)
I would have been seeking some gloves resistant to shocks
of such magnitude.. I don't suppose they sold '(dish)
washing up' gloves* around those parts at the time?

* Better to be uncomfortable and look silly than
suffer mains-power electrical shocks.

Dag Sunde

Andrew Thompson said:
Roedy Green wrote:

LOL! And I always thought of IT as a field relatively
immune to workplace dangers. ..but 'mains power'
shocks through the primary tool of trade? (cringe, shudder)
I would have been seeking some gloves resistant to shocks
of such magnitude.. I don't suppose they sold '(dish)
washing up' gloves* around those parts at the time?

* Better to be uncomfortable and look silly than
suffer mains-power electrical shocks.

And to think about it... My girlfriend and I used to go to
India to get *away* from computers...

:-D

gk

There are lots of free newsservers that will do that.
will you please tell me one newserver .
i have searched in the google but not become lucky. which one is close
to india ?

i dont have eudora. but i have outlook. will i may try on that.
thank you.

Roedy Green

will you please tell me one newserver .
i have searched in the google but not become lucky. which one is close
to india ?

The German search engine gave:

sunss105.cc.cycu.edu.tw
ns.amsd.com
vanaema.matti.ee

You will have to try these out to see which works best.

If they don't work use the links I gave to find one that supports
posting on comp.lang.java.programmer.