How do you install expat and XML::Parser on Mac OS x?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Dwight Army of Champions, Nov 12, 2011.

  1. I am trying to install XML::parser, and I understand that before I do
    that I have to install expat. I launch a Terminal window and type
    "sudo port install expat" and that gives the following output:

    ---> Fetching archive for expat
    ---> Attempting to fetch expat-2.0.1_1.darwin_10.x86_64.tbz2 from
    http://packages.macports.org/expat
    ---> Fetching expat
    ---> Attempting to fetch expat-2.0.1.tar.gz from
    http://ykf.ca.distfiles.macports.org/MacPorts/mpdistfiles/expat
    ---> Verifying checksum(s) for expat
    ---> Extracting expat
    ---> Configuring expat
    ---> Building expat
    ---> Staging expat into destroot
    ---> Installing expat @2.0.1_1
    ---> Activating expat @2.0.1_1
    ---> Cleaning expat

    I then type "port installed" and "expat @2.0.1_1 (active)" appears. So
    far so good. I then try to install XML::parser. I downloaded XML-
    Parser-2.41.tar.gz. I cd to my Downloads folder and type in "gzip -d
    XML-Parser-2.41.tar.gz" and "tar xvf XML-Parser-2.41.tar.gz" and that
    creates a directory called XML-Parser-2.41. I cd to that directory and
    type "perl Makefile.pl" and I receive the following error message:

    Expat must be installed prior to building XML::parser and I can't find
    it in the standard library directories. Install 'expat-devel' package
    with your OS package manager. See 'README'.

    I try to install expat-devel by typing in "sudo port install expat-
    devel" but that gives an error message "Error: Port expat-devel not
    found." I am completely at a loss here. Where am I going wrong?
    Dwight Army of Champions, Nov 12, 2011