How force the java sticky cache ?

daf

Hi,

I have a jnlp cache problem.

When I download and start my application with jnlp all is ok.

But, each time I try to donwload it, the java cache does not work :
all applications jars are downloaded again

how can I force the use of java cache ?

Andrew Thompson

daf wrote:
I have a jnlp cache problem.

When I download and start my application ..

Publicly available? At what URL?
..with jnlp all is ok.

Is the JNLP valid? Does the JNLP file specify an
HREF attribute for the JNLP file itself? Does..
(I could ask a dozen other questions that might
be relevant, but it would be quicker if you can
post the content of the JNLP file, ot link to it).

If it is not publicly available, you might need to
change the codebase before posting it (for privact),
but otherwise leave it exactly as is.
But, each time I try to donwload it, the java cache does not work :
all applications jars are downloaded again

how can I force the use of java cache ?

Have you told* the cache *not* to store local files?

* Using the Java Control Panel.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.physci.org/

daf

daf wrote:

Publicly available? At what URL?

Is the JNLP valid? Does the JNLP file specify an
HREF attribute for the JNLP file itself? Does..
(I could ask a dozen other questions that might
be relevant, but it would be quicker if you can
post the content of the JNLP file, ot link to it).

If it is not publicly available, you might need to
change the codebase before posting it (for privact),
but otherwise leave it exactly as is.

Have you told* the cache *not* to store local files?

* Using the Java Control Panel.

this is the "main" jnlp. There is also 2 others

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<jnlp spec="1.0+" codebase="$$codebase">
<information>
<title>...</title>
<vendor>...</vendor>
<homepage href="docs/help.html" />
<description>...</description>
<description kind="short">project description</description>
<!--offline-allowed /-->
</information>
<security>
<all-permissions />
</security>
<resources>
<j2se version="1.6.0+" href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/
j2se" initial-heap-size="128m" max-heap-size="256m"/>
<jar href="main.jar" main="true" />
<jar ...>
<extension name="acegi" href="$$codebase/acegi.jnlp" />
<property name="applicationBase" value="$$codebase"/>
</resources>
<application-desc main-class="...clazz..." />
</jnlp>

Andrew Thompson

daf said:
[quoted text clipped - 29 lines]

this is the "main" jnlp. There is also 2 others

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<jnlp spec="1.0+" codebase="$$codebase">
<information>
<title>...</title>
<vendor>...</vendor>

'...'?!

Please don't waste my (and anybody else's) bandwidth
with this rot. I will repeat..

*If it is not publicly available, you might need to
change the codebase before posting it (for privact),
but otherwise leave it exactly as is.*

I will stress the part you apparently missed ..'*exactly* as is'.

Note that both the other JNLP files referenced (and yes,
as well as any *they* reference) might also be relevant.
Post them as well - but not if you intend to play these
silly, coy games. If that is the case, hire yourself a
consultant that guarantees privacy, and stop wasting
our time.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.physci.org/

daf

[...]

I am sorry if i was "wasting your time" I just ask for some help...

The 2 others jnlp :
the first one
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- JNLP File for activation.jar third party extension -->
<jnlp spec="1.0+" codebase="$$codebase" href="$$codebase/acegi.jnlp">
<information>
<title>acegi-security</title>
<vendor>Sourceforge</vendor>
<homepage href="null"/>
</information>
<security>
<all-permissions/>
</security>
<resources>
<jar href="lib/acegi-security-1.0.0.jar" />
</resources>
<component-desc/>
</jnlp>

the next one
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- JNLP File for activation.jar third party extension -->
<jnlp spec="1.0+" codebase="$$codebase" href="$
$codebasejavaHelp.jnlp">
<information>
<title>java help</title>
<vendor>java help</vendor>
<homepage href="null"/>
</information>
<security>
<all-permissions/>
</security>
<resources>
<jar href="lib/jh.jar" />
</resources>
<component-desc/>
</jnlp>

Andrew Thompson

daf wrote:
I am sorry if i was "wasting your time" I just ask for some help...

My advice is. Don't be 'sorry' be 'smart'*.

There are other (rare) people here who might expect or benefit
from apologies - I do not believe I am one of them.

* By 'smart' I mean - listen carrefully to what people are
asking, and provide the information they ask for.

In this case, you did ..pretty well in supplying both of the
component-desc JNLPs. Now I can confirm to you that ..

"Both JNLP files supplied are valid according to the best
validation document that exists**."

Unfortunately you did not post the 'exact' version of the
*main/original* JNLP, so although I can confirm that the *edited*
version I checked seem vaild, I am not confident that the parts
of the JNLP that were simply '...' are valid, and *that might
make all the difference*. Please post it in a more complete form.
(note that your use of $$codebase etc., do not hinder the basic
type of validation I try to do - that is OK).

** Sun's own JNLP DTD is invalid, but I have developed an
XSD based on that (that hopefully expresses what the DTD
means).

Another part of a 'smart answer' or 'smart reply' it to make sure
each question that is asked - by someone trying to help, is
*answered.*

For example, I asked you..
"Have you told* the cache *not* to store local files?"

A valid 'answer/response' to that might be..
"How do I check that?"
"What do you mean by 'told'? How do I tell it?"
"That is none of your business, and I am not saying"

(The last is likely to produce more sarcasm from me,
or a complete failure on my part to add further
messages at all. But at least it is a reply..)

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.physci.org/

daf

Unfortunately you did not post the 'exact' version of the
*main/original* JNLP, so although I can confirm that the *edited*
version I checked seem vaild, I am not confident that the parts
of the JNLP that were simply '...' are valid, and *that might
make all the difference*. Please post it in a more complete form.
(note that your use of $$codebase etc., do not hinder the basic
type of validation I try to do - that is OK).

Here a more complete version of the "main" JNLP file
?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- JNLP File for MTP Application -->
<jnlp spec="1.0+" codebase="$$codebase">
<information>
<title>MTP</title>
<vendor>Thales</vendor>
<homepage href="docs/help.html" />
<description>MTP</description>
<description kind="short">Multi-Service Tracking Platform</
description>
<!--offline-allowed /-->
</information>
<security>
<all-permissions />
</security>
<resources>
<j2se version="1.6.0+" href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/
j2se" initial-heap-size="128m" max-heap-size="256m"/>
<jar href="MTP-core-ClientStation.jar" main="true" />
<jar href="lib/commons-beanutils-core.jar" />
<jar href="lib/commons-collections-2.1.1.jar" />
<jar href="lib/commons-logging-1.0.4.jar" />
<jar href="lib/commons-pool-1.2.jar" />
<jar href="lib/commons-codec-1.3.jar"/>
<jar href="lib/jbossall-client.jar" />
<jar href="lib/looks-1.3.1.jar" />
<jar href="lib/jide-components.jar " />
<jar href="lib/jide-dock.jar" />
<jar href="lib/jide-grids.jar" />
<jar href="lib/jide-common.jar" />
<jar href="lib/jide-dialogs.jar" />
<jar href="lib/log4j-1.2.13.jar" />
<jar href="lib/ravegeo.jar" />
<jar href="lib/rgmapclient.jar" />
<jar href="lib/spring.jar" />
<jar href="lib/MTP-core-Help.jar" />
<jar href="lib/hibernate3.jar" />
<jar href="lib/cglib-2.1.3.jar" />
<jar href="lib/asm.jar" />
<jar href="lib/jaxb1-impl.jar" />
<jar href="lib/jaxb-api.jar" />
<jar href="lib/jaxb-impl.jar" />
<jar href="lib/stax-api-1.0.jar" />
<jar href="lib/activation.jar" />
<jar href="lib/wstx-asl-2.9.2.jar" />
<jar href="lib/jpf.jar" />
<jar href="lib/jpf-boot.jar" />
<extension name="acegi" href="$$codebase/acegi.jnlp" />
<property name="applicationBase" value="$$codebase"/>
</resources>

daf

"Both JNLP files supplied are valid according to the best
validation document that exists**."

Unfortunately you did not post the 'exact' version of the
*main/original* JNLP, so although I can confirm that the *edited*
version I checked seem vaild, I am not confident that the parts
of the JNLP that were simply '...' are valid, and *that might
make all the difference*. Please post it in a more complete form.
(note that your use of $$codebase etc., do not hinder the basic
type of validation I try to do - that is OK).

here is the most complete JNLP file i can post

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<jnlp spec="1.0+" codebase="$$codebase">
<information>
<title>title</title>
<vendor>Vendor</vendor>
<homepage href="docs/help.html" />
<description>description</description>
<description kind="short">description</description>
<!--offline-allowed /-->
</information>
<security>
<all-permissions />
</security>
<resources>
<j2se version="1.6.0+" href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/
j2se" initial-heap-size="128m" max-heap-size="256m"/>
<jar href="mainjar.jar" main="true" />
<jar href="lib/commons-beanutils-core.jar" />
<jar href="lib/commons-collections-2.1.1.jar" />
<jar href="lib/commons-logging-1.0.4.jar" />
<jar href="lib/commons-pool-1.2.jar" />
<extension name="acegi" href="$$codebase/acegi.jnlp" />
<extension name="javaHelp" href="$$codebase/javaHelp.jnlp" />
<property name="applicationBase" value="$$codebase"/>
<property name="lan.hostName" value="$$lan.hostName"/>
<property name="rmi.port" value="$$rmi.port"/>
<property name="webAppName" value="$$webAppName"/>
</resources>
<application-desc main-class="MainClass" />
Another part of a 'smart answer' or 'smart reply' it to make sure
each question that is asked - by someone trying to help, is
*answered.*

For example, I asked you..
"Have you told* the cache *not* to store local files?"

My answer will be :

daf wrote:
here is the most complete JNLP file i can post

It is good enough to confirm that it (like your two extension
JNLP files) is entirely *valid*. There might still be problems with
..relative paths, and a numer of other things, but I am now
confident enough to proceed to other possibilites, like..
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<jnlp spec="1.0+" codebase="$$codebase">

..ahh yes. I am not on 'firm ground'/'expert knowledge' here,
but recent threads make me think that if no 'href' attribute
is mentioned, it might lead to entirely undesirable results.

The best I can understand/explain it at the moment is
'lack of a href' causes many changes in the way that the
plug-in acts on JNLP files. Splash screen images and icons
are ignored, no 'desktop integration' is done. I think the lack
of a href implies to the plug-in that this is a 'dynamic' JNLP,
and it is (therefore) less less likely to cache classes
(or make shortcuts etc.).
My answer will be :

How do I check that?, What do you mean by 'told'?

Now "we're cooking with gas" (a 'good thing', for those
unfamiliar with the term).

The *default* behaviour of the Java plug-in is to cache
classes downloaded, but this behaviour might be changed
in the Java Control Panel. If it is changed, I am guessing
it is due to somebody (like the system administrator) using
a 'script' to install Java without that option(?).

In any case, to check it, have a look at this post about
changing the cache location..
<http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5209499>
It is not *exactly* what you need to check, but (hopefully)
if you see these screens before your eyes, you will guess
how to 'follow the prompts' and see anything suspicious in
the settings (though it might help if you can describe what
you see, and the settings).

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.physci.org/