How much efficient is Java 6 to Java 1.3?

Roedy Green

Your students'-projects surely have some teaching effect from
their very outset, so let's not teach the wrong message.

Good point. Since multi-platform comes out in the wash so easily in
Java if you follow some reasonable precautions I tend to forget about
being explicit about it.

Personally, I like extremely concrete examples when I am learning or
trying to understand something difficult. Any generality or
abstraction just ties up some neurons and gets in the way. I think I
am the reverse of my university math profs who liked high abstraction
as a way of clearing away anything extraneous to the logic. (They were
repelled by my requests for examples of non-arithmetic
groups/rings/vector spaces etc used in the real world. To them it was
would be like collecting bric-a-brac.) On the other hand I have little
trouble writing code that generalises from a few very specific
concrete examples.

However, on general principles, I should work to reduce the
Windows-centricity of the mindprod.com website, especially given the
very low opinion I have of that OS.

So please keep up the reports of excessive Windows-centricity and I
will gradually weed them out.

Further anyone who can get Boot-it NG, Vista and Ubuntu to co-exist
please tell me the secret incantation. I'm willing to give it yet
another shot.

Andreas Leitgeb

Roedy Green said:
your mean:
File.pathSeparator

Correct one speling mistake, make a grammatically one instead :)

But I'm a bit disappointed, that teaching platform neutral
idioms is obviously not one of the goals of the student projects.
It still mentions two specific platform solutions before the
general one - at least still better than what it was before.