how to config non-Lib\site-packages\ distutils windows install destination directory?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Bengt Richter, Oct 28, 2004.

  1. I'd like to override the default

    d:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\

    destination, at least as an option. I have used installshield in the past,
    which gives extensive control over just about everything, if you want to go
    to the trouble. Is "the trouble" in this case modifying distutils?

    Non un-related BTW (/rant ;-):

    when I want to set up foo, I'd like to type

    setup foo

    or maybe

    python setup.py -some -opts foo

    but I really dislike the idea of setup.py being something foo-specific
    that I write. I should be able to do setup foo and setup bar in the
    same directory if I want to. IMO it's like creating a make.py or gcc.py
    for each foo, bar, or whatever, and having to do it in separate directories
    just to avoid name clash. Ick.

    Generic tool names should invoke generic functionality IMO. I'd like foo.mak and
    foo.cfg etc. to be where foo-specific stuff goes. If there needs to be separate
    options for admin and plain user, then the admin context foo config can specify
    how/whether to handle the rest and the rules for where to look.

    Regards,
    Bengt Richter

    Bengt Richter, Oct 28, 2004

  2. Re: how to config non-Lib\site-packages\ distutils windows installdestination directory?

    Bengt Richter wrote:
    > I'd like to override the default
    >
    > d:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\
    >
    > destination, at least as an option. I have used installshield in the past,
    > which gives extensive control over just about everything, if you want to go
    > to the trouble. Is "the trouble" in this case modifying distutils?

    You could modify PC/bdist_wininst/install.c, i.e. the two instances of
    SCHEME. Alternatively, you can just modify the file names in the zip
    file to not refer to PURELIB resp. PLATLIB anymore.

    Regards,
    Martin

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Oct 28, 2004