    In general: when I use a third-party .NET control, where should I install
    it?

    Thanks.
    Bob, Mar 19, 2008

  2. Hello Bob,

    Actually u should only refer to the lib dlls from your project.
    Read the readme fike from your library, it should be explained how to deploy
    it

    ---
    WBR,

    Michael Nemtsev [MVP], Mar 19, 2008

  3. "Bob" <> wrote in message

    > In general: when I use a third-party .NET control, where should I install
    > it?

    Generally speaking, a .NET assembly should not need installing at all -
    that's one of the advantages of .NET which avoids the "DLL Hell" of COM...

    I'm not familiar with Websupergoo but, assuming it's a standard .NET
    assembly, there should be nothing more to do than drop it into your
    project's \bin folder...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Mar 19, 2008
  4. You need to install a third-party control on the server that runs your
    application. In your development environment your pc is the server, so you
    need to install the control there. If you deploy the app on some other
    server, you will need to deploy the control there too.

    --
    Eliyahu Goldin,
    Software Developer

    Eliyahu Goldin, Mar 19, 2008
  5. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Eliyahu Goldin" <> ha scritto nel
    messaggio news:...
    > You need to install a third-party control on the server that runs your
    > application. In your development environment your pc is the server, so you
    > need to install the control there. If you deploy the app on some other
    > server, you will need to deploy the control there too.

    I'm using a PC with Visual Studio, but I want to save everyting on the
    Server. I don't want to have anything on my PC. This way, if I change PC I
    just need to install VS and I will be able to continue to work (because the
    source is on the server). So, should I install the third-party control both
    on my PC and the Server?
    Thanks.

    PS. The two above replies say something different, that I should install it
    only on my PC...
    Bob, Mar 19, 2008
  6. Bob

    bruce barker Guest

    its all control dependant, so you have to read the requirements for the
    control. a control has 3 modes:

    1) build. this is the simplest, generally just the dll is required in the
    bin folder.

    2) design - the control supports the ide. the control woudl need to be
    installed on the box running visual studio.

    3) run/debug. the control must be installed on the box the website is
    running on.

    the trick to all this is what install means. some controls (say the ajax
    toolkit), installation is nothing more than copying the dll to the bin
    folder. others (say activepdf), requiring install com objects, print drivers,
    a nt service, a license, etc.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Mar 19, 2008