How to configure a client/server in development

Bob

Hello,

I need to develop an application in ASP .NET (C#): this is my first time.
The application will be very simple, but I need a third-party control for
generating PDFs, and I have chosen one (Websupergoo). I have VS2005 on my
PC, but I want to save the project on my development server (same network).
My question is: should I install Websupergoo on my PC only, or also on the
server? Or maybe only on the server?
In general: when I use a third-party .NET control, where should I install
it?

Thanks.

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello Bob,

Actually u should only refer to the lib dlls from your project.
Read the readme fike from your library, it should be explained how to deploy
it

---
WBR,

B> Hello,
B>
B> I need to develop an application in ASP .NET (C#): this is my first
B> time.
B> The application will be very simple, but I need a third-party control
B> for
B> generating PDFs, and I have chosen one (Websupergoo). I have VS2005
B> on my
B> PC, but I want to save the project on my development server (same
B> network).
B> My question is: should I install Websupergoo on my PC only, or also
B> on the
B> server? Or maybe only on the server?
B> In general: when I use a third-party .NET control, where should I
B> install
B> it?
B> Thanks.

Mark Rae [MVP]

In general: when I use a third-party .NET control, where should I install
it?

Generally speaking, a .NET assembly should not need installing at all -
that's one of the advantages of .NET which avoids the "DLL Hell" of COM...

I'm not familiar with Websupergoo but, assuming it's a standard .NET
assembly, there should be nothing more to do than drop it into your
project's \bin folder...

Eliyahu Goldin

You need to install a third-party control on the server that runs your
application. In your development environment your pc is the server, so you
need to install the control there. If you deploy the app on some other
server, you will need to deploy the control there too.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer

Bob

Eliyahu Goldin said:
You need to install a third-party control on the server that runs your
application. In your development environment your pc is the server, so you
need to install the control there. If you deploy the app on some other
server, you will need to deploy the control there too.

I'm using a PC with Visual Studio, but I want to save everyting on the
Server. I don't want to have anything on my PC. This way, if I change PC I
just need to install VS and I will be able to continue to work (because the
source is on the server). So, should I install the third-party control both
on my PC and the Server?
Thanks.

PS. The two above replies say something different, that I should install it
only on my PC...

bruce barker

its all control dependant, so you have to read the requirements for the
control. a control has 3 modes:

1) build. this is the simplest, generally just the dll is required in the
bin folder.

2) design - the control supports the ide. the control woudl need to be
installed on the box running visual studio.

3) run/debug. the control must be installed on the box the website is
running on.

the trick to all this is what install means. some controls (say the ajax
toolkit), installation is nothing more than copying the dll to the bin
folder. others (say activepdf), requiring install com objects, print drivers,
a nt service, a license, etc.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)