How to cope up with .NET

abcd

I am working on Vistual Studio since last 10 yrs. Working from VC++ 1.x and
VB 3.x. Currently I am working in VS 6.0, classic ASP, COM, ADO. Today its
called as old technologies. I have very novice++ expereince with .NET.
Recently I appeared for one intvw and that guy just blasted me and FAILED me
.. He asked CAS, threading, App domains, concurrency ADO.NET, and lots of
advanced .NET questions even I have not encountered reading those. I know I
am working on Visual C++, MFC, ATL, VB 6.0 since many years. I can handle
dot net too once the responsbiliities come. My currently products are in old
technologies and thats what I sped most of my day working in those
technologies and not getting enough practical exposure to new .NET things...

How should I handle this issue.

[if this is not the correct group to discuss this topic then kindly excuse
me]

thanks

Mike

Sounds like he asked you some .NET questions that are on the MCTS test. app
domains, CAS, etc. I've been doing .NET for several years and never been
asked questions like that (so far).

All I can say is get a few books or do some reading online about .NET. You
can download C# Express or VB.NET Express for free and start learning it.
But overall just try and get an understanding of the .NET framework then go
to a language to learn and code in.

framework:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/default.aspx

C#:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vcsharp/default.aspx

VB:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/default.aspx

Visual Studio Express:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/

Masudur

[...]

Hi...

no worry.... follow microsoft's current certification plan on .net
technology...
you will start running in .net platform soon...it easy ....

Masudur
http://munnacs.110mb.com

abcd

I am already MCP in VB 6.0, VC++ 6.0
MCP in C# ASP.NET (exam 70-315)

Looks little odd to me that by having such expereince and Microsoft
certifications one could not believe on my abilities. I too take intvws for
candidates from my company but I check only capabilities and not the details
about one particular technology. There are lots of things in a product
development cycyle that one should be aware of.

I have definitely started reading abt .NET but there are lots of new things
which is making me slow to learn considering my daily work schedule.

I have worked in C++ MFC threading - CMutex, CSemaphore, CCriticalSection
and all that. Does this knowledge not sufficient for some one to work in
threading in .NET. Are the concepts really changed...? I dont think so....

Looks like companies becoming very aggressive and very picky.

[...]

hi...

"Looks like companies becoming very aggressive and very picky."
yap yap yap... you are right...
i did have a smiler experience ... i had to face question directly
from reflection and inside appdoman stuff

Mark Rae

I am already MCP in VB 6.0, VC++ 6.0
MCP in C# ASP.NET (exam 70-315)

Looks little odd to me that by having such expereince and Microsoft
certifications one could not believe on my abilities.

Looks perfectly understandable to me - Microsoft "certifications" are
utterly worthless...

All you need to get one is download the entire set of questions from any
number of sites for a few dollars and learn them the evening before you sit
the "test".

E.g.
http://www.examcheets.com/

Laurent Bugnion, MVP

Hi,
[...]

Actually, you're in quite a nice position, because it has never been so
easy to learn technology independently, without going to follow an
expensive course. The web has so many resources allowing you to learn at
home.

Choose wisely which technologies you learn, though. Learning Windows
Forms (.NET Windows Applications) is not recommended, since this
technology will eventually disappear and be replaced by WPF. My
recommendations for learning are:

- WPF
- WCF
- ASP.NET
- Silverlight
- LINQ
- ADO.NET

That's a lot already, so take it one step at a time.

Courage,
Laurent

Masudur

Hi,

--
Laurent Bugnion [MVP ASP.NET]
Software engineering, Blog:http://www.galasoft.ch

boy...

i am getting afraid now... of all these stuff...
i have to learn lot of things :)
new and new things are coming...

abcd

me too....

I thought Microsoft is going to take care of all the technologies and people
should concentrate more on their business logics...to me (as a developer /
designer) this looks more work...Learning lots of new things and spending so
many hours which one will be the best solution for longer run. Our products
still good with older technologies and customers are very happy we dont see
any desire to move to .NET. I bet there might be many such companies who are
happy with older investments. I can still expedia.com site still good on
classic ASP (thats what I can see in browser that its still pointing to
..asp).

I even dont have working expereince with Reflection, Generics, App Domain,
Threading, Code Access Security, Delegates. If I dont learn these things
asap then it will not take time to become obsolete in the market. My 13 yrs
expereince will go in vain within no time.

When I will learn these things the job I will get will not use these things
so again skills will be wasted and by the time new things will come up and I
will start leaning those. etc etc

Nowadays, I have a gut feeling that software development by introducing new
technologies is just another money making business. You come up with new
things...people buy books, expensive training materials..all these things
are connected...but ultimately customer suffers and again big IT budget...

Hi,

[...]

if your an MCP in C# ASP.NET (exam 70-315), then his questions should have
been a no brainer to you then. So I'm a little confused.

Companies aren't becoming picky, the mgrs are just noticing that anyone can
get Microsoft certified and yet, never actually worked with the technology.
I myself own a software consulting company and I had a resume come across my
deks. It looked incredible, C++, C#, .NET, VB.NET, SharePoint, Java,
Handheld, etc, then he listed Java Certified, Microfsoft Certified MCTS. So
I was like OK, now this guy knows what he's doing. WRONG! When I started
asking him about general .NET questions, he got a few not many, but when I
started asking some more advance .NET questions, security, architecture,
culture, etc. he was totally clueless, so I came down a notch and asked
about ADO.NET, ASP.NET, IIS permission, asp.net page flow, web.config file
information, again clueless. Come to find out he just took the test and
never worked in the technology.

So when I see a cert on a resume, it means absolutely nothing to me these
days.
Its just a piece of paper like a college degree. You will never know how the
real world works or what to expect until you experience it first hand. Yes
the degree is good, but do you want an recent college grad running your
fortune 500 company has his first job? Do you want an freshly new MCTS being
your tech lead on a million dollar project for a client and he has no idea
how to even get around the VS.NET ide or can't even write a line of code ?

I know I don't

abcd said:
[...]

LOL!

So when I see a cert on a resume, it means absolutely nothing to me these
days.

You are absolutely correct - it's utterly worthless.

I am quite often asked to sit in on technical interviews, and whenever I
come across a CV which is littered with MCPs, I simply ask the candidates
why they have wasted their time with this rubbish instead of gaining
real-world experience...

None of them ever has an answer...

Some people even put their MCP "qualifications" in their newsgroup sigs -
that just makes them look ridiculous...

abcd

By the way exam 70-315 does not talk about Reflections, Generics, delegates,
CAS etc.

My case is differnt that just achieving the certification. In Jan 2003 I was
working on a .NET project (ASP.NET 1.0/1.1) that time I was involved wrting
the intranet portal based on IBuySpy. That time I was full time working in
..NET and I just took the exam and passed it with no additional study or
training material because I was practically working on those topics...Now,
after that project I was shifted to another product in our company which was
using classic ASP, COM, ADO etc. So last 3 yrs I am working on old
technologies. This is how I lost my .NET touch. Now, meanwhile .NET 2.0/3.0
has come and as I am not actively working on a .NET project in our company
the learning curve has been slowed down.

I too agree certifications do not help at all. Thats why I dont want to
become MCPD or MCTS or whatever new certifications are.

abcd said:
[...]

I mean "My case is differnt than just achieving the certification.". I
believe in practical crunching.

Masudur wrote:
[...]

David R. Longnecker

The concepts you have repeated throughout your posts, like reflection, generics,
and threading, are not new concepts. They are, however, programming 'buzzwords'
for examinations and managers due to being brought to the forefront with
newer language implementations such as Rails, C#, and Java. In time, these
words will become as 'boring' as class, interface, and inheritance.

The .NET framework is not the first to support these concepts and will not
be the last. Yeah, that's right, something will replace what we're doing
today (heck, there are days that it feels that new methodologies are coming
up before I even get a chance to wrap my arms around the current stuff!--that's
why I like this job!). But in the end, the underlying concepts remain the
same--only implementation changes--whether you're jumpering ad on/off bit
with a wire or doing it using code in some high level programming language;
the logic persists.

Part of being a programmer/developer/architect/whatever is having the understanding
of core computing concepts and design principals and how they apply to a
particular situation--and then apply it. The IDE, syntax, and even the model
can change without consequence at that point. The MSFT tests test functionality
in a certain programming modal--which, agree or disagree, is not what makes
a programmer at the end of the day. Anyone (maybe) can string together syntactical
goo.

If you're really concerned about not falling behind, my suggestion is to
focus on concepts of OOP, design practices, and such--and move forward without
worrying about what environment you're targeting. As Mike suggested a few
posts ago--if you're interested in MSFT, grab the free Express products and
spend some time with them. Create a console app, and then figure out what
it takes to make it into a web application, or a Smartphone application.
If you're more into Open Source, grab VMWare, a Linux distro and load up
Rails. Use your current knowledge as a grounding and go from there.

This is probably both the most difficult concept of learning modern development--figuring
out where to start!

Good luck.

-dl

--
David R. Longnecker
http://blog.tiredstudent.com

a> me too....
a>
a> I thought Microsoft is going to take care of all the technologies and
a> people should concentrate more on their business logics...to me (as a
a> developer / designer) this looks more work...Learning lots of new
a> things and spending so many hours which one will be the best solution
a> for longer run. Our products still good with older technologies and
a> customers are very happy we dont see any desire to move to .NET. I
a> bet there might be many such companies who are happy with older
a> investments. I can still expedia.com site still good on classic ASP
a> (thats what I can see in browser that its still pointing to .asp).
a>
a> I even dont have working expereince with Reflection, Generics, App
a> Domain, Threading, Code Access Security, Delegates. If I dont learn
a> these things asap then it will not take time to become obsolete in
a> the market. My 13 yrs expereince will go in vain within no time.
a>
a> When I will learn these things the job I will get will not use these
a> things so again skills will be wasted and by the time new things will
a> come up and I will start leaning those. etc etc
a>
a> Nowadays, I have a gut feeling that software development by
a> introducing new technologies is just another money making business.
a> You come up with new things...people buy books, expensive training
a> materials..all these things are connected...but ultimately customer
a> suffers and again big IT budget...
a>
a> Masudur wrote:
a>
Hi,

abcd wrote:

[...]

Jon Paal [MSMD]

IMHO, you can't be expected to keep up with all the changes proposed by corporations like MS, new standards, new tools etc., all the
time, they're too big and profit from continual change.

People who ask questions as if the candidate is an expert at all things current is a pompous jerk with unrealistic expectations.

The reality is, programmers are continually in a "just -in-time" learning efort. Nobody can learn all things and stay proficient in
them because all things aren't used all the time.

Since technologies keep moving there is a just-in-time learning process to get the current best management approach/tools/technology
and then implement them to meet the needs of the customer.

Unless technology stands still there will always be somebody who knows something better than you in some area, and vice versa.

Timing can be an issue for demand of recent technologies but good employers always look for fundamental skills like educational
background, problem solving abilities, good communication, successful work history, etc.

Mike

Still a little confused here.
exam 70-315 covers the entire gammit of VB.NET from enterprise web based app
to enterprise windows based apps. With ADO.NET, Data Access, Rich Client,
some of the questions he asked you you still should have known if you taken
this exam.

I'm not bashing you on this, but you say your an 'MCP' but couldn't answer
questions that the 70-315 exam covers.

I also to think MCP's, MCTS, MCSD, etc are a waiste of time and money. Learn
the stuff in the real world. Anyone can read a book and take a test, hell if
a 10 year can take the test and get certified, what does that tell ya?

Masudur wrote:
[...]

The answer is perfectly obvious, to me at least...
I also to think MCP's, MCTS, MCSD, etc are a waste of time and money.
Learn the stuff in the real world. Anyone can read a book and take a test,
hell if a 10 year can take the test and get certified, what does that tell
ya?

I couldn't agree more.

Mike

The answer is perfectly obvious, to me at least...

whats that Mark? Which answer?

I'm thinking a MCP should be able to answer any question that he is
supposedly an MCP in or even have an understanding of it. but hey anyone can
take a test.