How to create a music player using ruby

Tejaswini Pedapati

I want to create a music player like itunes or media player using ruby.
Is it possible? How do i go about? I tried to google but could not find
what I wanted.
Thanks,
Tejaswini

Vladimir Fekete

Hi,

it depends whether you want to create only GUI for it or you want to make
it actually play songs. For GUI you need only "normal" libraries. For
playing you have to find library which supports formats such as mp3, ogg,
wma,... and supports play, pauste, stop, seek, e.t.c. and this is maybe
harder.

Cheers,

V.

Alex Fenton

Tejaswini said:
I want to create a music player like itunes or media player using ruby.
Is it possible? How do i go about? I tried to google but could not find
what I wanted.

wxRuby (http://wxruby.rubyforge.org) includes the Wx::MediaCtrl which is
a GUI component that can play mp3s, mp4s, quicktime etc.

http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/doc/mediactrl.html

You can then create other GUI controls to list tracks, control playback
or whatever. A fairly basic example is included in the wxRuby distribution.

http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/wxruby2/samples/media/mediactrl.rb

I would expect that the other large GUI libraries (Gnome, QT) have
similar components so you may want to look into them as well.