    1. how can I do this at design time?

    2. how can I do this at run time from my asp.net code?

    Thanks,
    Tina, Nov 9, 2007

  2. Tina

    darrel Guest

    > Our company domain, say, wombat.com needs to create several subdomains:
    > support, training, and purchase are three of the subdomains needed. So
    > when someone browses to //training.wombat.com they will be directed to the
    > IP we have assigned.

    All they do is purchase wombat. traning.wombat is something they set up
    themselves on their DNS server.

    > 1. how can I do this at design time?
    > 2. how can I do this at run time from my asp.net code?

    It's a network/DNS/IIS setting...not an application setting.

    -Darrel
    darrel, Nov 9, 2007

  3. this are just dns entries. see your network group.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJ1Y2UgYmFya2VyIChzcWx3b3JrLmNvbSk=?=, Nov 9, 2007
  4. Tina

    Tina Guest

    darrel,
    Yes. I know. Now can you answer the two questions?
    Thanks,

    Tina, Nov 9, 2007
  5. Tina

    Tina Guest

    bruce,
    Yes I know they are dns entries. Now, can you answer the two questions?
    Thanks so much,

    Tina, Nov 9, 2007
  6. re:
    !> Yes I know they are dns entries. Now, can you answer the two questions?
    !> 1. how can I do this at design time?
    !> 2. how can I do this at run time from my asp.net code?

    You can't do it at design time and you can't do it from code.

    I suggest you read up on what dns servers actually do.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_system

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 9, 2007
  7. Tina

    Tina Guest

    Juan,
    I just got done reading the entire help file for the DNS server product. It
    was nearly a complete education and I now understand levels of domain mames,
    subdomains, zones, reverse lookups, etc. It told me nearly everything....

    ...except how to create a subdomain

    I then spent time googling every word combination I could think of such as
    "create a subdomain." to no avail. I found a lot of other people asking but
    no answers.

    It looks like no one else knows either judging by the quality of answers
    I've received thus far on this thread.

    Tina, Nov 9, 2007
  8. at design or runtime its the same, you give the dns server the ipaddress and
    domain name. it must a trusted dns server to update the internet. generally
    you need to be admin on the dns server to update it.

    how will depend on which dns server you are using as the trusted one (by
    the internet). if its a windows box, use dns manager. if you are using a
    unix based dns server, then you want to use bind.

    if you servers have ldap support you can use a ldap library to talk to the
    dns server.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJ1Y2UgYmFya2VyIChzcWx3b3JrLmNvbSk=?=, Nov 9, 2007
  9. Tina

    GaryDean Guest

    bruce,
    Thanks for the answer.
    Regards,
    Gary Blakely
    Dean Blakely & Associates
    www.deanblakely.com

    GaryDean, Nov 10, 2007
  10. Tina

    Bolwerk Guest

    (Assuming this isn't a troll question....)

    Simply give each DNS record an A record. Alternatively, CNAMES could
    point to aliases of already configured subdomains. You realize in
    www.whatever.com., www is a subdomain, right?

    Controlling DNS records from the application level would be quite
    difficult, and I don't see the benefit.

    Here's a solution that might work (I don't know how to do it off the top
    of my head with IIS, but it can't be difficult): use name-based virtual
    hosts. Use a wildcard to resolve all subdomains to a certain host
    (GoDaddy supports this feature), then the application could maybe be
    programmed to respond differently depending on which subdomain a user's
    browser sends in the headers; the browser should pass the subdomain it's
    seeking as an environmental variable, and your application can respond
    accordingly. When the application checks the environmental variable, it
    can deliver a different page based on what host header is supplied by
    the browser.

    The disadvantage is you couldn't use SSL with name-based vhosts; you
    also won't be able to server HTTP 1.0 clients very well (but then,
    almost nobody is limited to HTTP 1.0 anymore; most browsers support 1.1,
    and many hosting companies use name-based vhosts).

    But the advantage is you save IPs and have more flexibility in what
    sites to host.

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/ - that's Apache's vhost
    configuration info. It won't help with IIS, but it goes into a bit more
    detail weighing the advantages and disadvantages than I just did. I
    know IIS supports name-based vhosts too. I just don't remember how to do it.

    Bolwerk, Nov 10, 2007
  11. Tina

    Tina Guest

    thanks, uh, what's a troll question?

    Tina, Nov 11, 2007
  12. Tina

    Bolwerk Guest

    Tina wrote:
    > thanks, uh, what's a troll question?

    Sorry, I found it odd that you said you knew all about DNS, but didn't
    know how to make a subdomain. :p

    I have to warn you, the solution I suggested is pretty inflexible, but I
    guess works. I think you'd be better off just using subdirectories.

    Good luck

    Bolwerk, Nov 11, 2007
  13. Tina

    darrel Guest

    > Yes. I know. Now can you answer the two questions?

    You'd think that someone that 'knows' that would ask this question in a DNS
    forum rather than an ASP.net one.

    -Darrel
    darrel, Nov 12, 2007