    want to make an xml file but i know that i need to be carefull with the
    & sign and so on... how can i clean the data coming from the db to have
    a valid xml file?

    Kentor, May 29, 2006

  2. Kentor wrote:

    > I have some info that im grabbing from a mysql database with php and i
    > want to make an xml file but i know that i need to be carefull with the
    > & sign and so on... how can i clean the data coming from the db to have
    > a valid xml file?

    The latest 5.1.something PHP release has XmlWriter to generate XML:
    <www.php.net/XMLWriter>
    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, May 29, 2006

  3. Kentor

    Kentor Guest

    thanx... it's pretty complex... =/

    Kentor, May 29, 2006
  4. Kentor

    Kentor Guest

    anything else =/

    Kentor, May 30, 2006
  5. Kentor wrote:
    > anything else =/

    I think you should go with the XMLWriter

    However

    I guess, if you're just putting some character data in semi-fixed tags
    (rather than trying to generate the document structure from the db) you
    could maybe escape the character data with something like this:

    $original = "this&that ]]><foo";
    $pattern = array("&", "<", "]]>");
    $replacement = array("&amp;", "&lt;", "]]&gt;");
    $escaped = preg_replace($pattern, $replacement, $original);

    I didn't test this, and whether this works is up to the implementation
    of preg_replace()...

    Note if you're planning to put strings into attribute values the ' and "
    characters should be escaped as well. (With &apos; and &quot; respectively.)

    There is also a caveat; the XML 1.0 spec doesn't allow for some
    "special" characters and therefore it is possible that the document is
    still not well-formed even if the code does work as I intended. If
    you're afraid of encountering characters not allowed to occur in XML 1.0
    you should declare the XML version to be 1.1, which allows for almost
    all unicode characters. That means you put the string

    <?xml version="1.1"?>

    first in the document.

    --

    - Tuomas