How to deploy servlet after creating it in eclipse

nitin hotmale

Hello .
I am a new bee in java servlet.
I have create a servlet in eclipse.
It is working properly in eclipse.

But now I have to deploy it on some machine.

I am not able to find the right instruction on the net or anywhere for
it.

I have create the web.xml file copied it under WEB-INF folder.

I created the WEB-INF folder copied my class file in the classes
folder under WEB-INF.

Copied the third party jar files in the lib folder under WEB-INF.

Thousand thanx for help in advance.

Lew

nitin said:
Hello .
I am a new bee in java servlet.
I have create a servlet in eclipse.
It is working properly in eclipse.

But now I have to deploy it on some machine.

I am not able to find the right instruction on the net or anywhere for
it.

I have create the web.xml file copied it under WEB-INF folder.

I created the WEB-INF folder copied my class file in the classes
folder under WEB-INF.

Copied the third party jar files in the lib folder under WEB-INF.

Thousand thanx for help in advance.

The usual approach is to let Eclipse package the project into a WAR, then copy
the WAR to the application server's "webapps/" directory (or equivalent) or
use the application server's deployment tool (e.g., Tomcat's "manager"
application) to deploy the WAR. Eclipse also lets you associate a Web project
with a server such as WebSphere Application Server or Tomcat, and will handle
that deployment for you.

Sundar

The usual approach is to let Eclipse package the project into a WAR, then copy
the WAR to the application server's "webapps/" directory (or equivalent) or
use the application server's deployment tool (e.g., Tomcat's "manager"
application) to deploy the WAR. Eclipse also lets you associate a Web project
with a server such as WebSphere Application Server or Tomcat, and will handle
that deployment for you.

I agree with Lew. Whatever Lew stated is the usual method to deploy a
web app from eclipse.

nitin, Since you are a newbie to java servlet, I strongly recomment
you not to use any IDE for learning. Use a simple text editor like
notepad for creating the servlet and do the compilation & deployment
manually. Once you get the fundamentals right, you may move to an IDE
like eclipse. Because eclipse tends to make things easier and you may
never learn some settings about deployment.

-Sundar
http://heysundar.blogspot.com

Lew

nitin, Since you are a newbie to java servlet, I strongly recomment
you not to use any IDE for learning. Use a simple text editor like
notepad for creating the servlet and do the compilation & deployment
manually. Once you get the fundamentals right, you may move to an IDE
like eclipse. Because eclipse tends to make things easier and you may
never learn some settings about deployment.

More useful is to read the Sun JEE tutorial and just about anything written by
Marty Hall.