How to detect flash installed / enabled in a browser

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Anees, Jan 11, 2008.

  1. Anees

    Anees Guest

    Hi friends..

    i know it may be a repeated Q.
    Though i had search across i couldnt get the right solution and in
    some, links were broken..

    I want to check a browser when a user clicks on a link whether it
    supports playing Flash files or not,

    If yes it starts playing the Flash file.
    or else it should pop up a screen to ask downloading flash plug in
    into the system.

    Please help me

    Regards,
    Anees

    Anees, Jan 11, 2008

  2. Anees

    rf Guest

    "Anees" <> wrote in message
    > Hi friends..
    >
    > i know it may be a repeated Q.
    > Though i had search across i couldnt get the right solution and in
    > some, links were broken..

    Hmmm. Googling for "detect flash installed enabled" reveals 104,000 hits,
    the first of which is the Adobe flash player detection kit. I recon Adobe
    would be the authority on the subject :)

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 11, 2008

  3. Anees

    David Mark Guest

    On Jan 10, 11:41 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > "Anees" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi friends..

    > > i know it may be a repeated Q.
    > > Though i had search across i couldnt get the right solution and in
    > > some, links were broken..

    > Hmmm. Googling for "detect flash installed enabled" reveals 104,000 hits,
    > the first of which is the Adobe flash player detection kit. I recon Adobe
    > would be the authority on the subject :)

    Unfortunately they are not. Their detection kit is awful. Examples
    posted elsewhere are typically just as bad. This issue will be
    addressed in the CWR project soon.

    The answer for this varies according to whether a specific version is
    required and whether parameters need to be passed to the Flash movie
    (older Safari browsers ignore those.) If the answer to those two
    questions is no, then nested objects with a download message as the
    fallback will work. The script would simply find and display the
    outer object on click.

    David Mark, Jan 11, 2008
  4. Anees

    Anees Guest

    On Jan 11, 9:53 am, David Mark <> wrote:
    > On Jan 10, 11:41 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Anees" <> wrote in message

    > > > Hi friends..

    > > > i know it may be a repeated Q.
    > > > Though i had search across i couldnt get the right solution and in
    > > > some, links were broken..

    > > Hmmm. Googling for "detect flash installed enabled" reveals 104,000 hits,
    > > the first of which is the Adobe flash player detection kit. I recon Adobe
    > > would be the authority on the subject :)

    > Unfortunately they are not. Their detection kit is awful. Examples
    > posted elsewhere are typically just as bad. This issue will be
    > addressed in the CWR project soon.
    >
    > The answer for this varies according to whether a specific version is
    > required and whether parameters need to be passed to the Flash movie
    > (older Safari browsers ignore those.) If the answer to those two
    > questions is no, then nested objects with a download message as the
    > fallback will work. The script would simply find and display the
    > outer object on click.

    Hi
    Thanks Guys..
    i just got a good solution from
    http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/download/detection_kit/
    thanks for ur suggetions

    regards
    Anees

    Anees, Jan 11, 2008
  5. Anees

    David Mark Guest

    On Jan 11, 12:13 am, Anees <> wrote:
    > On Jan 11, 9:53 am, David Mark <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Jan 10, 11:41 pm, "rf" <> wrote:

    > > > "Anees" <> wrote in message

    > > > Hmmm. Googling for "detect flash installed enabled" reveals 104,000 hits,
    > > > the first of which is the Adobe flash player detection kit. I recon Adobe
    > > > would be the authority on the subject :)

    > > Unfortunately they are not.  Their detection kit is awful.  Examples
    > > posted elsewhere are typically just as bad.  This issue will be
    > > addressed in the CWR project soon.

    > > The answer for this varies according to whether a specific version is
    > > required and whether parameters need to be passed to the Flash movie
    > > (older Safari browsers ignore those.)  If the answer to those two
    > > questions is no, then nested objects with a download message as the
    > > fallback will work.  The script would simply find and display the
    > > outer object on click.

    > Hi
    > Thanks Guys..
    > i just got a good solution fromhttp://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/download/detection_kit/
    > thanks for ur suggetions

    That is not even close to a good solution as it relies on browser
    sniffing.

    David Mark, Jan 11, 2008
  6. Anees

    Anees Guest

    > That is not even close to a good solution as it relies on browser
    > sniffing.

    oh..coz i got flash installed with my fire fox browser... i couldnt
    check how it workes when the flash is not der..!!!!

    Please suggest me a good solution..

    Anees

    Anees, Jan 11, 2008
  7. Anees

    David Mark Guest

    On Jan 11, 1:29 am, Anees <> wrote:
    > > That is not even close to a good solution as it relies on browser
    > > sniffing.

    > oh..coz i got flash installed with my fire fox browser... i couldnt
    > check how it workes when the flash is not der..!!!!
    >
    > Please suggest me a good solution..

    Post a link to your page or the markup used for your Flash movie.

    David Mark, Jan 11, 2008
  8. Anees

    Anees Guest

    > Post a link to your page or the markup used for your Flash movie.

    http://projects.realinternetsales.com/AudraRhodes/
    here i need to Load the JS Menu if Flash will not support
    And also need to prompt the user to confirm the redirection into flash
    download page

    Anees

    Anees, Jan 11, 2008
  9. Anees

    Anees Guest

    Anees, Jan 11, 2008
  10. Anees

    David Mark Guest

    On Jan 11, 4:05 am, Anees <> wrote:
    > > Post a link to your page or the markup used for your Flash movie.

    > http://projects.realinternetsales.com/AudraRhodes/
    > here i need to Load the JS Menu if Flash will not support
    > And also need to prompt the user to confirm the redirection into flash
    > download page

    Forget about redirection as your users won't be interested in that.
    They are going to want a menu that works without a download!

    The only parameter you are passing to Flash is quality="high". You
    can lose that as it is the default. You can also lose the embed tag.

    Here is an example:

    <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
    width="300" height="120" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/
    pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,0,0" title="Movie">
    <param name="movie" value="flash/testflash_streaming.swf">
    <!--[if !IE]>-->
    <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="flash/
    testflash_streaming.swf" width="300" height="120" title="Movie">
    <!--<![endif]-->
    <ul>
    </ul>
    <!--[if !IE]>-->
    </object>
    <!--<![endif]-->
    </object>

    Use CSS to approximate the Flash rollover effects. Without getting
    into a detailed discussion of progressive enhancement, a simple
    solution to the "Click to Activate" issue is to document.write the
    object tags from an external script file. You will then need a
    noscript element that contains the menu list.

    <script type="text/javascript" src="flashmenu.js"></script>
    <noscript>
    <ul>
    </ul>
    </noscript>

    Granted, it isn't an optimal solution as your menu list will exist in
    two places.

    Do the same thing with your other Flash movie, but use a JPEG as the
    fallback.

    David Mark, Jan 11, 2008
  11. Anees

    Anees Guest