How to detect when user clicks on a broken link to an external web page.

Guest

I am planning to develop a directory website (ASP.NET) which will contain
links to hundreds of external web pages. In an effort to keep the directory
up to date, I would like to trap (perhaps as an event) and then log when the
user clicks on a broken link (page not found or server not available). Keep
in mind that these are links to 3rd party pages not hosted on my website or
server. I think I can do this using client side Java scripting, perhaps with
a re-direct to a page on my website. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Michael Pearson

You could maybe develop a page that "screen scrapes" the target site, and
renders the text in a frame on your site. If you page gets back "no text"
then the link is bad.

Do a search on Screen scraping with asp.net.

Michael