    directory?

    Thanks for any help.

    -Randy
    RJGraham, Feb 12, 2004

  2. RJGraham

    nos Guest

    "RJGraham" <spamcop_764376_@surfbytes_123_._5637.com_4785> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm writing an installer using InstallAnywhere which will, among other
    > things, install a JDK (J2SE 1.4x) on a windows machine.
    >
    > Sun provides an interactive .exe installer for windows that allows a user

    > select an install directory for J2SE.
    > How do I get theJDK install directory so I can use it in my installer?
    > Also, is it possible to do a silent install of J2SE, passing it the

    install
    > directory?

    I hope not.

    nos, Feb 12, 2004

  3. RJGraham

    RJGraham Guest

    Why not?

    RJGraham, Feb 12, 2004
  4. RJGraham

    > Why not?

    I assume it means that someone can install
    something on my pc without my knowledge
    and concent. Sounds like a virus.

    nos, Feb 12, 2004
  5. In article <>,
    "RJGraham" <spamcop_764376_@surfbytes_123_._5637.com_4785> wrote:

    >:Hello,
    >:
    >:I'm writing an installer using InstallAnywhere which will, among other
    >:things, install a JDK (J2SE 1.4x) on a windows machine.
    >:
    >:Sun provides an interactive .exe installer for windows that allows a user to
    >:select an install directory for J2SE.
    >:How do I get theJDK install directory so I can use it in my installer?
    >:Also, is it possible to do a silent install of J2SE, passing it the install
    >:directory?
    >:
    >:Thanks for any help.
    >:
    >:-Randy

    Your question might better be asked on a ZeroG forum. But I might
    suggest you skip trying to "install" a JDK via user interaction and
    instead simply install one by including a VM pack with your installer.
    My application does exactly that (Windows and Linux). We got tired of
    people refusing to follow the directions that said what Java 2 version
    they required if they didn't install one, so we just packaged it with
    the application. It's unregistered on Windows, so that the app's own
    install directory has a "jre" directory there and it's what we use.
    Works great.

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Steve W. Jackson, Feb 12, 2004
  6. RJGraham

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    "nos" <> wrote in message

    > "RJGraham" <spamcop_764376_@surfbytes_123_._5637.com_4785> wrote in

    message
    > > Why not?

    > I assume it means that someone can install
    > something on my pc without my knowledge
    > and concent. Sounds like a virus.

    Fine print from the bottom of the DirectX 9.0 dowload page:

    DirectX 9.0b has a silent install (no UI, and no reboot) which is available
    to Microsoft Volume License Customers (VLC) on the following Microsoft
    Volume License Site (MVLS). This is a Multi-lingual package which does not
    require an internet connection during installation.
    Ryan Stewart, Feb 13, 2004
  7. RJGraham

    RJGraham Guest

    > >:I'm writing an installer using InstallAnywhere which will, among other
    > >:things, install a JDK (J2SE 1.4x) on a windows machine.

    > Your question might better be asked on a ZeroG forum. But I might
    > suggest you skip trying to "install" a JDK via user interaction and
    > instead simply install one by including a VM pack with your installer.
    > My application does exactly that (Windows and Linux). We got tired of
    > people refusing to follow the directions that said what Java 2 version
    > they required if they didn't install one, so we just packaged it with
    > the application. It's unregistered on Windows, so that the app's own
    > install directory has a "jre" directory there and it's what we use.
    > Works great.
    >
    > = Steve =

    Thanks Steve.

    Yes, I'll head over to the zeroG forum.

    I need to install a JDK, not just a JRE and for some reason all the VM packs
    are JREs.

    -Randy
    RJGraham, Feb 13, 2004
  8. RJGraham

    nos Guest

    "Ryan Stewart" <> wrote in message
    > "nos" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "RJGraham" <spamcop_764376_@surfbytes_123_._5637.com_4785> wrote in

    > message
    > > > Why not?

    > > I assume it means that someone can install
    > > something on my pc without my knowledge
    > > and concent. Sounds like a virus.

    > Fine print from the bottom of the DirectX 9.0 dowload page:
    >
    > DirectX 9.0b has a silent install (no UI, and no reboot) which is

    available
    > to Microsoft Volume License Customers (VLC) on the following Microsoft
    > Volume License Site (MVLS). This is a Multi-lingual package which does not
    > require an internet connection during installation.

    Since DirectX comes from MS they, so far, have been using certificates
    for security and then I have the option to allow or reject the certificate.
    Which makes it not silent.
    nos, Feb 14, 2004
  9. RJGraham

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    "nos" <> wrote in message

    > "Ryan Stewart" <> wrote in message
    > > "nos" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "RJGraham" <spamcop_764376_@surfbytes_123_._5637.com_4785> wrote in

    > > message
    > > >
    > > > I assume it means that someone can install
    > > > something on my pc without my knowledge
    > > > and concent. Sounds like a virus.

    > > Fine print from the bottom of the DirectX 9.0 dowload page:
    > >
    > > DirectX 9.0b has a silent install (no UI, and no reboot) which is

    > available
    > > to Microsoft Volume License Customers (VLC) on the following Microsoft
    > > Volume License Site (MVLS). This is a Multi-lingual package which does

    not
    > > require an internet connection during installation.

    > Since DirectX comes from MS they, so far, have been using certificates
    > for security and then I have the option to allow or reject the

    certificate.
    > Which makes it not silent.

    It's in a special download for Microsoft Volume License Customers, like to
    include in off-the-shelf software. So theoretically, it looks like you could
    install any given program and get DirectX installed without even knowing it.
    Ryan Stewart, Feb 14, 2004