How to determine JDK install directory and/or do silent install of J2SE?

RJGraham

Hello,

I'm writing an installer using InstallAnywhere which will, among other
things, install a JDK (J2SE 1.4x) on a windows machine.

Sun provides an interactive .exe installer for windows that allows a user to
select an install directory for J2SE.
How do I get theJDK install directory so I can use it in my installer?
Also, is it possible to do a silent install of J2SE, passing it the install
directory?

Thanks for any help.

-Randy

nos

RJGraham said:
Hello,

I'm writing an installer using InstallAnywhere which will, among other
things, install a JDK (J2SE 1.4x) on a windows machine.

Sun provides an interactive .exe installer for windows that allows a user to
select an install directory for J2SE.
How do I get theJDK install directory so I can use it in my installer?
Also, is it possible to do a silent install of J2SE, passing it the install
directory? I hope not.

Thanks for any help.

-Randy

Steve W. Jackson

RJGraham said:
:Hello,
:
:I'm writing an installer using InstallAnywhere which will, among other
:things, install a JDK (J2SE 1.4x) on a windows machine.
:
:Sun provides an interactive .exe installer for windows that allows a user to
:select an install directory for J2SE.
:How do I get theJDK install directory so I can use it in my installer?
:Also, is it possible to do a silent install of J2SE, passing it the install
:directory?
:
:Thanks for any help.
:
:-Randy

Your question might better be asked on a ZeroG forum. But I might
suggest you skip trying to "install" a JDK via user interaction and
instead simply install one by including a VM pack with your installer.
My application does exactly that (Windows and Linux). We got tired of
people refusing to follow the directions that said what Java 2 version
they required if they didn't install one, so we just packaged it with
the application. It's unregistered on Windows, so that the app's own
install directory has a "jre" directory there and it's what we use.
Works great.

= Steve =

Ryan Stewart

nos said:
I assume it means that someone can install
something on my pc without my knowledge
and concent. Sounds like a virus.

Fine print from the bottom of the DirectX 9.0 dowload page:

DirectX 9.0b has a silent install (no UI, and no reboot) which is available
to Microsoft Volume License Customers (VLC) on the following Microsoft
Volume License Site (MVLS). This is a Multi-lingual package which does not
require an internet connection during installation.

RJGraham

:I'm writing an installer using InstallAnywhere which will, among other
Your question might better be asked on a ZeroG forum. But I might
suggest you skip trying to "install" a JDK via user interaction and
instead simply install one by including a VM pack with your installer.
My application does exactly that (Windows and Linux). We got tired of
people refusing to follow the directions that said what Java 2 version
they required if they didn't install one, so we just packaged it with
the application. It's unregistered on Windows, so that the app's own
install directory has a "jre" directory there and it's what we use.
Works great.

= Steve =

Thanks Steve.

Yes, I'll head over to the zeroG forum.

I need to install a JDK, not just a JRE and for some reason all the VM packs
are JREs.

-Randy

nos

Ryan Stewart said:
Fine print from the bottom of the DirectX 9.0 dowload page:

DirectX 9.0b has a silent install (no UI, and no reboot) which is available
to Microsoft Volume License Customers (VLC) on the following Microsoft
Volume License Site (MVLS). This is a Multi-lingual package which does not
require an internet connection during installation.

Since DirectX comes from MS they, so far, have been using certificates
for security and then I have the option to allow or reject the certificate.
Which makes it not silent.

Ryan Stewart

nos said:
Since DirectX comes from MS they, so far, have been using certificates
for security and then I have the option to allow or reject the certificate.
Which makes it not silent.
It's in a special download for Microsoft Volume License Customers, like to
include in off-the-shelf software. So theoretically, it looks like you could
install any given program and get DirectX installed without even knowing it.