    automatically? Again the web page is done entirely in ASP classic.

    Thanks in advance.

    , Feb 5, 2008

  2. Tim Slattery Guest

    wrote:

    >What I'm trying to uncover is how to automate the running of certain
    >commands/scripts on a unix server via a Windows web server. The
    >overall idea is that a person goes to a web application and creates an
    >item. They enter a few key details and using those details as
    >parameters for the scripts I need to run, the backend of our web
    >server needs to send those commands to a remote unix server. A unix
    >account exists to do this manually, but can this be done
    >automatically? Again the web page is done entirely in ASP classic.

    I did this a long time ago. It was a web system implemented as an
    ISAPI DLL, written in C++. It connected to the Unix backend using
    Telnet, and I wrote a C++ class that implemented the Telnet protocol.
    I expect that you'd need a component to do this from an ASP page.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(Shell/User)

    http://members.cox.net/slatteryt

    Tim Slattery, Feb 5, 2008

  3. I did something like that once as well, but I did it by opening a
    bi-directional pipe with cygwin's ssh.exe (I found that I didn't have to
    install cygwin on my server, I could just drop ssh.exe and a few of it's
    required dll's into a folder) and I used a key to handle authentication
    (sounds a little more secure than telnet, but maybe not if you are on a
    private network or something).

    Gregory Bartholomew, Feb 18, 2008