How to get IIS

Guest

I'm currently trying to learn Visual C# .Net 2003. I'm at the point of
creating Web Applications using ASP.Net. I have Windows XP Home Edition
installed on my laptop. I don't think my system is running IIS. I have
tried to find a download of it somewhere with gettng any good results. Can
anyone tell me where I can download IIS or is this going to be a case of
needing to upgrade to XP Pro? Any advise, information, or instruction will
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark Rae

I'm currently trying to learn Visual C# .Net 2003. I'm at the point of
creating Web Applications using ASP.Net. I have Windows XP Home Edition
installed on my laptop. I don't think my system is running IIS. I have
tried to find a download of it somewhere with gettng any good results.
Can
anyone tell me where I can download IIS or is this going to be a case of
needing to upgrade to XP Pro? Any advise, information, or instruction
will
be greatly appreciated.

There's a "version" of IIS for WinXP Home called Cassini.

However, do yourself a massive favour and upgrade to WinXP Pro...

thechaosengine

I'm afraid it isnt really possible to get IIS running on XP Home. I mean,
it is technically possible but its very hit and miss and a lot more trouble
than its worth. Microsoft really just dont want Home users using IIS :-(

I had the exact same problem a couple of years ago. I went around looking
for ways to get it working and it turns out that there is a failry complicated
hack you can do, but personally I find it too dangerous, to unreliable and
altogether way to much hastle.

Ultimately, I bout an upgrade off of ebay for a very reasonable price (eg
£50). A legitimate copy as well. Alternatively you mind find the following
useful:

1. There is a standalone web server called casini that comes as part of the
web matrix project over at www.asp.net. You can use this to practice although
im not sure if debugging is easy to set up when using casini and VS2003

2. The option I would recommend: The next version of ASP.net and visual studio
comes out in november. VS2005 comes with an integrated web server that removes
the dependency on IIS (I think). Given that you are just starting out with
ASP.net and C#, I would recommend downloading or ordering the Beta verison
of Visual Studio 2005. That way, you'll be using the most up to date software
and wont be learning implementation details that are about to go out of fashion.
The vast majority of everything you've learned so far will still be very
much relevant but there are a lot of very cool changes coming in the next
versions of C#, ASP.Net, Visual Studio and SQL Server.

Good luck

Kindest Regards

tce

Bob Lehmann

Microsoft really just dont want Home users using IIS :-(
Home users typically would have no need to run IIS. The Home version is
intended for them, and is less expensive being a cut-down version of Pro.

The problem is that many people obtain the OS without researching the
purchase beforehand, and buy based on price. That's kinda like buying a
cheaper model of a particular car without looking at the equipment list, and
saying Ford must not want people to have air conditioning.

Bob Lehmann

Peter Kellner

This followup was posted to microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

thechaosengine said:
2. The option I would recommend: The next version of ASP.net and visual studio
comes out in november. VS2005 comes with an integrated web server that removes
the dependency on IIS (I think).

VS2005 does indeed come with an integrated web server and it is Casini.
That being said, either upgrade to XP Pro, or if that is impractical and
you have the memory and processor speed, run IIS in a virtual machine
running XP Pro. (assuming you can buy XP Pro, and just don't have the
time to reinstall everything .. which we all seem to do all the time
anyhow)

Guest

Thanks, I have XP Pro on my home pc, just hate to buy another copy. My
laptop came with the home edition and I didn't know I would need the IIS at
the time. I will probably upgrade eventually but will try the Cassini
version as a temp fix.

Thanks

Guest

Thanks TCE, I will try the issues in November. I'm also going to try the
Cassini as a temp fix, just to practice with.

Guest

Yeah it came with my laptop and at the time I didn't know it had this
problem. I have XP Pro on my desktop at home but I guess I will have to buck
up and get another copy...I don't pirate software so illegal copies aren't my
cup of tea. I appreciate the response.

Guest

Thanks Peter, I will have to buy another copy of XP Pro, I have one copy on
my desktop at home. My laptop came with the home edition when I bought it.
I am looking at the versions coming out in November and agree that will be
the way to go in the long run.

Alan Silver

Thanks Peter, I will have to buy another copy of XP Pro, I have one
copy on my desktop at home

Just check your licence. If you bought XP Pro as a standalone product
(ie not an OEM version), then I'm pretty sure the licence allows you to
install it on a desktop AND a laptop at the same time. I have done this
with 2003, I'm not sure if it's the same for XP. Might be worth ringing
MS and asking, save you a lot of money ;-)

thechaosengine

I forgot to tell you. One of the other major benefits of upgrading to Pro
is that you are able to control your machine remotely using RDP. This has
been unbelievably helpful for me in the past. I've controlled my machine
from hundreds of miles away. Even if you don't have broadband, controlling
a machine accross your LAN can also be quite helpful at times. As well as
totally cool! :)

I just thought it might be something to consider. I've never found any realy
use for anything else that comes with XP Pro. Just IIS and Remote Desktop

Kindest Regards

tce

Del Thibodeaux

I wonder if the latest version of MS Media Center Edition can be
updated to contain IIS?